Getting a Sim Racing Rig for Christmas for £450 or less

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhoenixRacing41, Jul 26, 2022.

1. PhoenixRacing41

PhoenixRacing41 Registered

Hello everyone, I've just joined this forum, I'm 25 and I have Autism, OCD and Tourettes. I want to get a Sim Racing Rig for Christmas but I live at home with my parents and I have to be careful how I spend my money, how can I convince them to get me a sim racing rig for a Christmas Present?

I don't want to spend too much, at least £450 but my parents may want to spend less. I get money for my disability every month and I do have a lot of saving money.

I really want to do this as I want Simracing to be a hobby of mine and also I can't drive in real life due to my autism. I have been kart racing before and my experience with Rfactor 2 was at a local kart racing track which had a simracing room on the upstairs. I want to learn how to drive the cars. With gears and everything.

Hope you all understand.

Phoenix.

2. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Do you mean everything including computer, or is just a wheel and pedals enough?

I think logitech g29 is about that price class iirc. If you want to have a dedicated sim racing setup, you are looking at PlaySeat style things with something like a thrustmaster t300rs

3. Binny

Binny Guest

Logitech g29 cheapest entry level. Use a table and chair/ or build a timber rig, most of us started out that way. Show your parents its what you really want to do and go from there. Remember its addictive, you always want better and more LOL. Hint buy what you can when on special DLC'S.

lagg likes this.
  4. lagg

lagg Registered

I made my first rig of square tubes, nuts and bolts, a piece of wood and the cheapest chair that i could buy.
    With that money you can buy a wheel with pedals and the materials to make the rig yourself.

5. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

If you are new to sim racing, I would suggest just going with a wheel bolted to a desk or other such suitable item you already have, until you've been in the hobby for a little while, and have decided this is definitely something you want to stick with.

Yes, a dedicated rig certainly makes things much more immersive, but for starters bolting a wheel onto a desk is a great solution and lots of fun in itself - then you've got more time to save, and also can show your parents how interested and committed you are to it.

As others have said, Logitech is a great entry level product and price point. Also, don't be afraid to consider the used hardware market too - some good deals can be found on that and reduce the cost of entry considerably.

Like everything in life, take things in steps, enjoy whatever stage you are at without looking too hard to the next level, and have fun!

Welcome to sim racing - you'll have a blast !

6. PhoenixRacing41

Just Wheel, Pedals and a Seat.

7. green serpent

green serpent Registered

If yourself or anyone you know is handy with wood you could probably make one, (but even wood isn't cheap these days).

Many simple sim rigs follow a basic design - basically an "upside down T" shape. They can be quite simple to build but they need to be strong.

8. trichens

trichens Registered

As you already appear to have a PC of some sort then you are probably sorted with the desk and seat that you use for this.
    A Logitech G29 or G920 with the shifter add-on would come in around £270 at the moment - based on UK Amazon prices today.
    They also have a racing stand that includes a seat for £180.
    In fact if you look at the combined price you get £449.55 - a smidgin under your £450 budget.

But don't forget the space requirements and the setting up needed for a separate seat/rig whenyou want to race.

If you use a conventional office type chair don't forget that you'll need some way of anchoring it; if it's got castors then when you get to the first corner you'll find yourself rolling across the room!

9. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

10. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

My first rig was my wife's ironing board..:cool:
    Then a wheelstand with a beanbag.. :D
    Now I have an alurig..:)
    Before you invest big, it really makes sense to see if you are still interested in SimRacing in 2 years.

Edit:
    But if you ever have the money, the aluminum rig from Motedis "US Dream" is unbeatable in terms of value for money.

nolive721 likes this.
  11. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

To be honest I loved my Playseat Challenge - comfier than most chairs, foldable, has proper sideways support and actually not bad longitudional support either if you push it against a table. These move around used here for around 100€

pkelly likes this.
  12. PhoenixRacing41

just wanted to bump on this a bit will an Ikea style tub chair work?

13. trichens

trichens Registered

Well "any" chair will work.
    There seems to be plenty of people using a simple dining room chair and a desk that do well in online competitions.

Unless someone disagrees the issue you need to look at is how all the "components" are related to each other.
    By that I mean position of wheel and pedals to that of the seat so it's comfortable, making sure that the pedals and seat are fixed both in relation to each other but also to the seat, monitor position, location of all this in the room.
    Do you have enough electrical sockets within reach... a PC, monitor and Logitech wheel will use three mains sockets.
    And although it shouldn't be a problem, the number of USB ports available on your PC.

14. PhoenixRacing41

OK, so erm, guys, a bit of a bump but I'm a bit too fat for a normal racing chair. My mum's thinking about getting a reinforced chair that supports my weight. I'm 263lb and 6ft and also, can I get a cheaper steering wheel than just Logitech or Thrustmaster? Like the Hori Racing Wheel Apex? What chair do you suggest I get should I go for the reinforced chair and if I like it get something to stop the wheels from rolling at the bottom and is there a way to also stop it from swivelling?

15. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

This Is how I went about (started)...

I am Into flight sims too (formation acrobatic flight) so I needed a sturdy and comfortable chair, you will spend hours on this without you knowing It, believe me.

My best recommendation, and one that many flight simmers have done Is this...

Get you´re self a car or bus (touring bus) seat from a junk or scrap yard, one that´s decent. Most people take care of there car so It will be easy to find one In good condition. Have a metal worker make a simple structure, a 20x20mm. hallow square metal tube structure will do, mine Is 27cm high by 55x47cm. The width and length depends on the basing (mounting structure) of the seat you bought. You will need the back part of the structure a bit longer so you wont tip the seat back.

The height of the structure might be different then mine due to that you are taller then me. Just add the structure height and add the height of the seat you bought to It to get you´re overall height. You can always use the height of any chair you have In the house to get you´re self a reference, then modify as needed.

Once you have the structure done, prime It and paint It, have you´re father, or someone do this, or the metal worker. I did this my self because that´s my job (metal worker). You will need drill holes to match those on the base of the seat support structure so you can bolt down the seat to you´re new metal floor structure. There you have you´re seat, and a very comfortable seat I may add. A desk will do you fine for you´re wheel clamping. You can save that rig money to get a better wheel set IMO.

Here´s a pic of my set-up (older wheel) and how the seat and structure look...

[​IMG]

As for a wheel set...

I would look Into the used market because of two reasons that I will get Into now. A used Logitech Driving Force GT can be found real cheap, or any similar wheel set, or a new wheel set like the PXN V9, or Thrustmaster TMX, or T150 RS all are good starting wheel sets (pedals are Included) and have forcefeedback. Price range Is not over the 200 mark with these wheel sets.

The second reason Is because right now we are In a marketing shift when It comes to wheel set hardware. Logitech has just released It´s new direct drive wheel base, the Logitech G Pro, and I am sure Thrustmaster will release It´s direct drive version sometime soon, It´s been teasing for some time now. TM (Thrustmaster) has also released It´s T-GT II servo base which wasn't available as a stand-alone before, It was part of there T-GT II pack, although these are not direct drive. Aside from these mainstream racing hardware companies, there are other companies like Moza, Simagic to name a few with competitive prices. I say this because I am sure there will be a price drop on behalf of Logitech and TM to counter there market so to be more competitive and to push forward the direct drive format overall. Which In turn will drop the belt driven wheel prices. Speculating here mind you. So It might be worth waiting for this to happen and In the meanwhile just use a cheaper option to see If you really like this or not.

It took me only two weeks to realize that I really liked rF2 and sim racing, and my Logitech Driving Force GT really helped me there, other wise I would have never known. I am happy now with my new set-up TM TS-PC and I am confident that I have enough for the coming years. If I do want a DD wheel base say In a couple of years from now, I will have surely gotten my money´s worth, and maybe by that time new gear with competitive prices will have emerged. While the DD tech Is great, It´s not mandatory to enjoy this hobby. Like everything, you first need to learn the ropes, In this case race car driving and you don´t need the latest tech for that. All of the above Is just my personal opinion and suggestions.

Hope It helps, and welcome to this fascinating world of sim racing!

Mike

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    DJCruicky likes this.