GetMod Manager

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Noel Hibbard, May 3, 2014.

1. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Hey Noel,

While I am aware it is possible to test links within this tool I have had instances where the test is correct, but my GetMod doesn't work (probably my own error).

What I'm wanting to know is, is there some way to test if GetMod is functioning without launching the game? I spend my lunch at work tinkering with my servers some times, including setting some up. It would be great to be able to tell if everything is working as it should with a URL or something. (like making sure content will download and that the Join button is not greyed out)

I dunno if it's possible, but don't know unless I ask.

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Unfortunately all I can do is hand off the GetMod URL to your default browser to make sure it will download. I can't really push the URL through the game engine to know for sure if the game will have any problems with the webhost. Whenever I build a new vmod with new content I restart the server with a new password that only I know. I then do a test join. If GetMod works correctly I then restart the server with the normal published password. FYI, rF2 runs great through RDP as long as you set the video mode to match the resolution of your RDP session and set it to run in windowed mode. I remote control my race rig at the house to test GetMod all the time. I can do it from another computer or from my iPhone. I wish I could build a more reliable test into my tool but it's just not possible.

Here is a video I made of rF2 running over RDP back when I first discovered it worked:

A little choppy but better than nothing.

3. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Not a problem mate. Worth asking.

Another question that I've never been totally clear on; Does the GetMod Manager need to be running/have it's window open for it to function? Or can I run it, set the DL links, build the mod then close it off until next time I need to set up a mod?

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

My tool is only needed for setting the URLs. Once you build the vmod the URLs are then embedded into the vmod and my tool is no longer needed unless you need to go back in and add a mirror or change URLs. The tool doesn't need to be running though.

5. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Ah great. I've left it open on the dedi while not being sure :)

6. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

(sorry for so many posts..... I must come across as so thick :( )

I have just been messing around with this tool while trying to set up a GT3 server.

I first go to the manager and enter the URL's for the content I wish to use on the server. I test each one, all work. I then open up the rF2 launcher and click on the MAS tool from there to create a Vmod. Using this method the GT3 content fails to download every time (I tried to rebuild using this method about 9 times because of the random missing vehicles in dedi bug anyway)

As soon as I used your automated ctrl + click on packager button from your tool and created the mod that way, the getmod began to work, first time. Is this intended behavior?

Of course, I could have the GetModMgr.exe in the wrong place (Though iirc it doesn't matter where it is as long as it points to the correct data path).

I'm sure it didn't used to work like this and as long as the URL's were there, you could create the vmod however you wanted. Having said all this, it's very likely I've borked something on my install and I'm being a total tool.

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It's very important to run MAS2.exe with the working directory set to the DataPath that you have selected in GetModMgr. That is why I put that Package button (without pressing Ctrl) on there. It makes sure that MAS2 launches with the correct working directory. My tool modifies the URL within the MFT files in which ever DataPath you have selected in my tool. If you then build a vmod with MAS2 set to the wrong DataPath it will not pick up the correct MFT files.

If I had to guess you run independent installs for your servers and therefore have to manage two DataPaths. From now on, don't run MAS2 from the launcher. Simply click the package button from my tool and it will prevent you from hand swapping the DataPaths.

This is another reason why I prefer running multiple profiles as opposed to multiple installs. It just minimizes the chances of doing a hand swap.

FYI, I released a command line tool for building vmods. At VEC we never modify the list of components we use in our vmod other then changing out the track once a month. But we do frequently update the components to change pit groups and add/remove/update teams. So for me I just wanted a command line tool that basically just builds a new vmod using the latest version off all of our components without me having to hand select them from a list every time. It sounds like you build vmods with different content every time so this tool may not be as useful to you. But check it out and see if it can fit with your work flow.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/23601-BuildMod-Command-line-vmod-creation

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2015
  8. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Thanks for the explanation mate. I will check out that tool, too.

I'm slowly starting the process of reverting to one install with multiple profiles. Much, much easier to manage.

9. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Hi Noel, we moved our rF2 dedis to a different server recently. I was wondering if there was a database somewhere that I could copy over to our new server be able to check which of our content we have setup for getmod to work, check logfiles that include our old downloadstats etc.?
    Or should I better unregister everything on the old server and then register them again on the new one (assuming there might be an error message trying to register a component again, using the same link as before)?

Thanks

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The components get registered into a database on a server I host. So all you have to do is install the components on the new server and then run my tool once before making a new vmod.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I just want to say that I, and i'm sure many others, think you've done a fantastic job with all this stuff - the software you've created, the assistance you provide, and so forth.

You're doing rFactor 2 and ISI, as well as many of rFactor 2's users, a great service.

Thanks again.

12. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

13. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

14. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

15. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

16. Stefan Kanitz

Stefan Kanitz Registered

Unluckily i cant get it work. I have done everything as you mentioned in your video but everytime i try it to download from the server i get the message "Mod download failed. Could not install mod". Port is open, Auto download is enabled but it doesnt work. Any ideas?

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

What part is failing? The vmod or the components? When you first connect it should download the vmod.. Then it lists the missing components. When you click the "Get Missing Components" button is when my stuff comes into play.

18. Stefan Kanitz

Stefan Kanitz Registered

The "Get missing components" dialog does not appear. It just show the download of the rfmod file and result in "mod download failed" dialog.

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay so you haven't even gotten to the stage where my stuff comes into play. If I had to guess you have a special character or space in the filename of your vmod. Shutdown your server, then go into the Packages folder and then rename your vmod to remove any odd characters or spaces. Then start the server back up. You don't actually have to rebuild the vmod. Simply changing the file name is enough. If it still doesn't work then let me know.

20. Stefan Kanitz

Stefan Kanitz Registered

Still does not work.