Get Mod very slow

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by zackspeed, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

So why not package things so getmod points to your own powerful server? That's what thread for using Dropbox (or similar service) is saying to do.

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

First off, I am not ISI, it is only my opinion that they will not put much effort into hosting via the built in http server. I also don't agree that the current system is half backed. Because something doesn't work the way you think it should doesn't mean its half backed. Half backed would be something that doesn't really work.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Actually he already is using my service and linking to his own server. I joined his server earlier today and all but one component downloaded and they all downloaded fast.

4. zackspeed

zackspeed Registered

Yes, sure, Noel.
    But in my opinion, the getmod-software is a half backet solution. It doesnt really work.
    You can tell again, that you dont think so, i dont agree with you.

And i dont got a good hosting help here.
    I got a complicated, time-wasting suggestion of how to handle downloadable mods.
    I tink, there have to be another way to go.

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Zack, I think each POV is clear. Noel's tool to register components is very good and he is doing a superb job exploiting the new optiojs ISI has wisely implemented. It is much more intuitive than ISI's (or at least it was better explained how to make it work than ISI's which I never got to understand). The speed limitation is due to ISI's approach. I hope they get to understand how some leagues work in terms of downloads. We just dont want/need external URLs. We hire powerful servers that provide an overall excellent service which can handle all the requirements we need.

enviado mediante tapatalk

6. canastos

canastos Registered

It's simple: you can't expect to host a race and a web server, two services hunger for bandwidth, on the same application, same machine, and that one wouldn't have effect on the other. At some point there has to be a limit for the use of resources, and since this is a simulator, sim hosting must have priority over the rest of the services the same application provides. If you desire to balance your bandwidth other than that, you can always do it configuring your web server, a different application at your server machine, to use bandwidth the way you wish.

ISI developes simulators, not web servers, so I'm thankful for the tiny web server included in their software, which does the work, but asking for more would be like asking to include a mail server :p

byyyyyyyyye

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Canastos, you have driven in our server. We are doing exactly that: hosting typically 2 or 3 simracing servers and high speed downloadable content from the same machine.

WE ARE HAVING NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. THE PING IS EXCELLENT. THIS IS A REALITY.

For whatever reason GetMod download speed is "on purposely" capped. Our drivers complain about get mod speed and some of the prefer to download content from the web and install it manually. Ironically, the resources are the same, so we ask the OPTION to let full speed for the downloads.

Maybe they need to make a special matchmaker utility which is not directly linked to online rF2. This tool would use special protocol for high speed download. After selecting a server and updating content to match that server, rF2 would be launched with its dedicated communication protocol.
    I don't know if this makes sense since I am not a programmer. Maybe Noel understands my point...

Only the users that typically have problems with mod manager actually benefit from get mod. For the others is just an alternative that we only use where they have plenty of time and do not care to wait at that moment.

8. crz

crz Registered

Usually I try to avoid beeing so direct but I see you going on about it and it gets to the point of disinformation. You are doing it wrong because you refuse to use Get Mod how it is intended to be used! Noel tried to explain it plenty of times. If you are able setting up and handling your rf2 server you should be more than capable to set up your own http server and use Noels service or set it up on your.

I did the latter and Get Mod is fast. If you have many people joining at the same time, consuming all your servers bandwidth, you will get lags. And that is why you should host the mods on another server or just use Dropbox.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
  9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Ok we are doing it wrong but without problems. It is providing an alternative way to high speed downloads from our web forums. This is appreciated by some people that are not skilled with mod manager.

How are you doing it? If not hosting a league you shouldn't talk or give advice. Decisions are not taken by just one person to start with... You should know all the circumstances behind a decision before judging something.

I am using Getmod in a way it works so wrong it is not the correct word. In order to compare which system is better in this case we go for our since it has no extra costs. The good system as you understand it, involves paying for a good dropbox or mediafire account. Are you paying that for us?

PS. As Machiavelo said... "the best is the enemy of the good"

10. crz

crz Registered

If you don't want any costs then you can always host the mods on the same server and cap the bandwidth of your own http server. If you know your servers bandwidth and how much your rf2 server will use when under full load just cap the http server accordingly and you won't get lags and serve the mods at good speed. This is essentially what you are doing now but without the restriction of the rf2 built in http server.

I am hosting the servers for the league arm of F1ASR but I don't see how that has anything to do with this conversation or why you question it.

We use our own get missing components database and serve the content from a different server. We rewrite the URL in the components so it works with our system. Noel released his component builder which makes this process very easy and time saving instead of doing it manually. All this makes joining all our races as easy as it can get with good download speed.

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

But why would I want to cap our HTTP server? It is working fine now. My only problem is with get mod speed being slow. I am not sure if You understand my point

I simply can't understand why having a high speed getmod system from whichever URL is hosted cannot be conceived as an enhancement.
    For example it is very common to use a mod including all content in it for single day events. However with actual getmod system it takes for ages to download a typical 500MB vmod.

And it is ISIs software which permits creating this large vmods. I think flexibility is very good. When updates are fixed, content registered and fast downloads fixed... the system will be great. But now is faulty.

12. crz

crz Registered

Hmm maybe I missed your point entirely, maybe you missed mine. I'm not sure now. :) Are you complaining about the vmod download or about the component download? Vmods are very small (few kb) and I don't see how this can be a problem. If you include the components in your vmods then it becomes a problem. Components should be downloaded seperately and I am talking about capping that seperate http server. Apache for example has modules for bandwidth management I'm sure, don't know about IIS but I assume. If you run rf2 and the seperate http server for components on the same physical server than you have to cap it or else both fight for bandwidth under high load.

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Reread my last post. I wxplain better. I edited it

14. crz

crz Registered

There is your problem. This method has only one advantage and it is beeing lazy as an admin. Other than that you run only in disadvantages and frustration. You named one example, the bandwidth of the internal http server. Another one which I find much more annoying is that you download the same content all over again once you do another single day event with the same track but another car for example. Bandwidth and hard disk space wasted.

If you host the components seperately you get a better user experience (fast downloads, no duplicate downloads, no waste of space on the hard drive) and you can be nearly as lazy as an admin.

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I simply disagree. I can tell you I am not a lazy admin at all. You simply cannot see nothing beyond your point of view. You are not giving a single possibility to use vmod to include content and be used in get mod. Since you took the option to call me lazy I just would like to appoint how shortsighted you seem in terms of perceiving what is actually required and how rF2 should adapt to leagues multiple requirements and not viceversa because actual system is as it is.

16. crz

crz Registered

It wasn't meant as an insult, it is just the only advantage I can see (and I really am lazy :) ). Which situation do you mean where including content in the vmod would be benefitial over hosting it seperately?

17. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

The old fashioned way :p

18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Precisely that you dont need to host nothing nowhere. Especially when dealing with customized content

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I thought the getmod feature allowed the download to come from a website URL instead of being forced to having to use the server? Someone said you can even enter in backup URLs in case prior ones dont work. And as long as those URLs are pretty fast (most websites nowadays) for example, racesimcentral, than the download of even a full 600 MB mod shouldn't take long.

I think the problem at the moment is that most people are setting the mods up to be downloaded directly from the server itself rather than an actual website URL (the server obviously has to allocate/reserve most of it's bandwidth for the people actually playing in the server/room, rather than for "leechers" just trying to download a mod).

With all the sites out there that allow free downloading (racesimcentral, a crap-load of league websites in all sorts of languages, etc. etc.) I'm surprised so many seem to be using the "download direct from the rf2 multiplayer server" method rather than just setting it up to download the file from a website URL as if you just went to the website yourself and manually downloaded.

Maybe there's something I'm not getting but I would have thought that external download URLs (of which there are tons of sites with rf2 files) would easily be the way to go.

20. crz

crz Registered

You got it except one thing. The url you are talking about doesn't point directly to the component but to a php script which looks up the real url for that component in a database. This way you can change the real url for a component in the database just in case.

View attachment 13186

As you can see the URL is the same on all ISI content. The component is identified by the sig field above the url field. The getmod.php script does a database lookup for this sig and gets the real url to the component in return which is then handed to rF2.

The real URL can be a file hoster (some restrictions right now) or just your own http server. You could run your own http server on the same server as rf2 if you don't have a second server but then you have to restrict the bandwidth used for downloads so the rf2 server doesn't run out of bandwidth. Most dedicated servers come with 100 MBit or even 1 GBit of bandwidth so your downloads will be still much faster than most file hosters will give you.