Generator for the new Gear-settings in the HDV

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by redapg, Dec 1, 2014.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

Because of a discussion in another thread, i modified an older script, that i have made for rF1 some time ago and set it online.

Currently it is just basic with the ability to create only 1 ratio entry for each gear.

But if you find it helpful, i would expand it, to 6,7 or 8? possible options for each gear.

If you are interested, please tried it out and give some feedback.

Thank you.

The site can be found HERE.

And please be patient, it's a free webspace and often slow as hell or hangs completely :D

2. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

wow! Great! The point on my side is to have enough skill and real data for filling fields. About options for each gear, it can be calculated without difficulties repeating the procedure: it is your choice.

One more thing: do you think to release an offline tool/sheet?

Thank you very much for the generator.

3. redapg

redapg Registered

Thank you for the feedback. :)

To answer the questions i have to say "No" to releasing an offline tool.
    The reason is, that i have no idea how to create one :D

It's hard enough for me to create it online. :)

And to the data that you have to fill in, i want to add an option to choose from the rFactor1 format ( e.g. 25/36) so you can convert it easily from old gear.ini-files. And for the most cars you can get the ratios to fill in, in the internet...... i guess(?).

And because of more options for each gear you are right, i just didn't do it, because i first wanted to have some feedback if this "tool" is helpful* or not. And the question is, how many options for each gear make sense?

*Not helpful --> WIP will be stopped. ;)

4. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Brilliant to have a choose and "translator" for the 2 ways! About how many options for each gear, maybe the right way is to take a look at some mods, but I think that 8 can be the maximum.

About helpful/not helpful, my opinion is that I hope you like to create it for your pleasure as well as to challenge yourself, so you are the first person entitled to develop it or not.

5. redapg

redapg Registered

I've made a little upgrade with option of filling in old rFactor *gear.ini values and to set up to 6 FinalDrive ratios.
    And i think i will add 6 optional ratios to each gear too, that should be enough.

I fear that if i create more options to choose, the site will slow down too much because of the calculations. It's slowly now. :)

The site still can be found HERE.

And please be patient, it's a free webspace and often slow as hell or hangs completely :D

6. redapg

redapg Registered

Another small upgrade with a simple save/load function

The site still can be found HERE.

7. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I saved a file to test it, but no way to restore it. (500AC)

EDIT: I think to be not able to understand a gear, grrrr and to use the sheet! New test: I added data and after the calculations, number of teeth changed (?)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  8. redapg

redapg Registered

Yes, sorry, that was my fault and i've corrected it, you can load your sets now.
    BUT currently i don't have set an option to edit or delete an existing set.
    The reason is, that i want to keep the site free from registration.
    But i will add (not max priority :)) an option to set a password for your saved sets, so that you, as the creator, can edit or delete it, when you fill in the password.

To this i only can say that i have a little problem with it.
    I get the data completely out of a database now. But to get the correct data i need unique values.
    The only unique value i have, is the ratio which is the result of the calculation of "outgoing gears teeth" divided with "incoming gears teeth".
    But if you have an set of e.g. 10/30 which is 1:3,000 and choose it in the dropdown it will be replaced by 33/99, because the query of the data is sorted from high to low (if i e.g. would sort it from low to high, an input of 22/40 would show up as 11/20 after calculation). So the value 1:3,000 is first found at 33/99 and so 33/99 shows up after clicking the calculation-button. BUT as result it is the same, because both teeth-sets have the same value.
    I know it is irritating and i will try to find a better solution. (remember, i am not a programmer/webmaster :))

EDIT I've changed a few things in that way that you can edit your saved sets now, if you give them a password when saving. Please try again.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
  9. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I tested again it. Thanks for explanations.

I also saved a new file with password, but anytime I try to edit the file: "wrong password" (also if it show me the password I wrote...)

10. redapg

redapg Registered

OK, i will have a look at it.
    But should be solved with the changed script that i've uploaded 1 minute ago.

I have created an new set "500ACtestX" (has the same password as 500ACtest2).

That was necessary because i have changed the script in that way, that your entered values for the teeth-count will not change after clicking "CALCULATE" anymore. :)

But for that the set needed another format.

It would be nice if you (and maybe some more) can play around with the site to find problems.

I'm getting blind for that slowly, as a result of the work on it. :D

11. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

It works now! And it works fine. What could be useful is a way to recall data from another file (like now), but with the chance to change the number of the FinalDrive options. I mean, if you generate a new file one of the first question regards the number of FDrive you want to have. Later, if you want to recall a file to generate a new one with some changes, you cannot change the number of FDrive used.

Pay attention, I'm not very confident in using ratios, gears etc... so, please, consider it evaluating the option.

12. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Bevel setting is missing. Drop gear example:

The calculated Final Drive 22/14*41/17 (3.78991596639). In rf I would use a bevel of 14, 22 and a final drive of 17, 41.

It is also common for the pinion to under 10 teeth, limiting to 10 is an issue.
    Example:

13. redapg

redapg Registered

Is done. Note: the Buttons "EDIT", "DELETE" and the new one for the gear-count-changing, only appear if a set is loaded.

When i started to convert my old rFactor Script now, i looked into the old Gear.ini files of rF1 again.
    And i always found ratios for Gears and Final-Drive with 2 digits like AA/BB and never A/BB or AAA/BB....
    So i decided to use all values from 10/99 to 99/10.

There was one exception and that was the bevel. In rF1 all original cars, except 2 which use bevel (28, 27), used bevel (1, 1)

In rF2 now, the bevel for the most cars changed from (1, 1) into (10,10), which i set as default.

Maybe i am totally wrong, but i think that all these settings are only mathematical, to get the right ratio.
    And i think that can be done with the 8100 options in the dropdowns.

But i can add an option for setting the bevel. :)

14. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

In effect also the 695 uses a pinion = 8 several times. I converted it to 16... and also the other teeth before using the tool.

15. redapg

redapg Registered

I'm working on the "extended" version, where you can choose up to 8 Options for each gear.
    Unfortunately the free webspace is blocking me. :D

When i use too much calculations, the site is blank. I guess it is restricted from the provider.

And i have no access to the servers of our Community at the moment. I was away for some time and all my access-data is gone and noone of the other admins is active there at the moment.

So holiday for me now..... :)

16. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Don't rush mate! Btw, I was thinking if you could be interested into a collaboration with some person able to write a friendlyuser tool...

17. redapg

redapg Registered

A "friendlyuser tool"?

PM me ;)

18. redapg

redapg Registered

The extended Version is online now.

What i've found out is, that a big problem was caused by the browser, that i normally use.

It is the IE11. The problem is, that it seems as if the transmission-buttons that i use for the script, are kind of ignored by the IE when there are more then 1 or max. 2 on the same site.

I sometimes had to click 10-15... or more times on a button to get the wanted reaction, so i sometimes was short before [​IMG]

So please use Opera, Firefox or Google Chrome, which i have tested and they work fine.

You now can set up to 8 gears, 8 optional ratios per gear, 6 Final Drive ratios and the bevel, if wanted.

And please report errors or things that can be done better.
    The script has almost 6000 lines, so errors can happen. :)

The link is in my Signature.

19. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

user friendly? lol!!!!!!!

20. redapg

redapg Registered

Done so far.
    I've made one more update, so you now can change all settings, including the Input Mode, at the calculation table.

And as long as noone finds errors or bugs, i will just do some "cosmetics".

Suggestions are welcome. :)