Generation serverkeys

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Deleted member 58016, Jun 4, 2023.

1. Hello

At the moment I am a little bit lost and confused ... I think serverunlock.bin must be created and copied to the userdata folder of dedicated server, but do I need a serverkey.bin, too / still?

And if I need the serverkey.bin how to create it?

I understand the DS does not create it any longer, but how to do with client (I already started my rF2 and got a new serverunlock.bin but no serverkey.bin)?

Thanks in advance for help.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The serverkey is no longer used. Just copy the serverunlock over to the dedi from the client. So just the second part of the old process.

3. Thanks for your reply - I am not sure and I need to check it (maybe the instances were not online long enough before trying), but I had problems this morning joining servers without serverkey.bin

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If that's a reproducible problem maybe you've uncovered a bug, but I think you were also having some doubts with the new system because of different content versions? Possibly something you're doing is falling foul because of that?

Anyway, as you say neither the server nor client is producing a serverkeys.bin file now. That in itself has caused some confusion for people trying to follow the outdated instructions, but from what I've seen once they get the change they have no further issues. So you might need to try and diagnose your issues there.

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  5. I just tried to join right after starting the servers - maybe there was a problem with my client (because the client was still running as I restarted the servers), maybe I found a bug ... don't know.

I cannot judge about the "new system" but in general it is lacking some features and IMHO it is a step forward, but still incomplete. I understand why we still need a serverunlock.bin (mainly for DLC tracks I would say) and that's not the problem.

Updated documentation would be a great benefit.

And also some more documentation on command line options of mas utility, mod manager, dedicated server and so on - I wrote a framework of scripts in order to get rid of most of the steps done with those utilities, but it was hard to find information on command line options.

But that 's another story.

I am not sure if I can check the serverkey issue again this week, but I will try to.