General FFB weirdness

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by GTFREAK, Oct 3, 2012.

1. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

I posted this in another thread, but wanted to make a new one to ask the general question with all wheels.

Is anyone else experiencing weird FFB effects when turning in rF2? The only way to describe it is that it feels like I am constantly running over tiny little rocks when turning. Is this normal? It's driving me nuts.

Also, if you look at the Pedal Plugin that displays your pedal movement and FFB clipping meter you can see that the FFB is dancing up and down when turning instead of smooth movement. I know that the FFB needs to be very quick, but this is different. It gets worse the faster you go.

Only tested the Megane so far. I don't know if this is the same for other cars.

Anyone else getting this with their wheel? Feels very odd. Had the same issue with my CSW as well when turning and now I own a ThrustMaster T500rs. Almost feels like running over rocks or the tires are skipping or jumping rapidly when turning.

I hope that describes it well enough. It's driving me crazy. I don't know if this is good for the wheel.

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Is this also happening on a fresh set of tyres without locking the wheels under braking? I only get that after a few corners of flamboyant driving (i.e. flatspots).

3. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I've only run the F2 twice, both times at Mills. The only time I noticed what you are describing is after I ran off into the gravel.
    I remember thinking " cool, now we have gravel sticking to the tires", I guess I better run the F2 again. Maybe I was mistaken about when I was feeling the gravel effect.

4. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Fresh set of tires, yes. This happens when turning at high speeds as well as turning at low speeds when you are beyond the limit of grip. Same sort of feeling.

Even when I turn the vehicle very slightly the FFB starts jittering. As soon as I turn the wheel left or right to make any sort of turn (grip or no grip). You can see it on the pedal plugin monitor. However, it does not feel as bad when traveling at lower speeds. It gets worse the faster you go.

My wheel settings look exactly like yours except I have lower overall forces (60%).

5. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Does it also happen when driving at slower speeds, not at the limit of grip? could it just be bad setup and chatter on the front tyres while under-steering?

I remember the f3.5 when I first tried it with the default setup when turning it was bouncing all over the place but it was the entire car and not just the FFB. I am using a G25 though so not the same wheel but I noticed this bounce effect with many cars and default setups, go to the setup thread and try some of the other settings there if your not very good at setting up a car, I can give it a few tweaks but the default setups are generally so terrible I didnt know where to start and needed to look for some better bases to start with.

6. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Imagine going around a very very slight turn and you are barely pulling on the wheel to turn. This is when it's happening. It feels like it's some kind of FFB interference noise or something. It happens even when the car is not on the limit of losing grip.

Full grip, slightly turning at higher speeds. I mean you can just barely turn the wheel and feel it. Doesn't really get much worse the harder you pull the wheel.

I tried the Megane, Nissan GTR, and Clio and they all did the same thing. I am beginning to think I got another bad wheel.

Should torque filtering have any affect on this? I had heard that Torque Filtering was mainly for the G25/27 series wheels.

Also, this Thrustmaster is belt driven but the belt is "cogged" with teeth, so you feel those teeth while turning the wheel. It makes it hard to tell whether or not the motor is becoming an issue after a couple hours of testing. I just got the wheel today. However, I can tell the difference between the wheel's teeth and this FFB effect I am feeling when turning.

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

As tracks are no longer billiard table smooth, but have lot of bumps, dips etc. I have imagined that this happens because those bumps get trough steering much stronger when turning as there is more weight on tire so it can't dampen forces.

It does depend from the car though as when I'm driving old american cars I'm working with, I get mostly just very smooth forces, until I go to suspension testing area of our car testing track, where are enough harsh road surfaces to get lot of jolts to steering.

Steering is bit too perfect, imo. There is no play in steering, also no other damping than a tire, with most cars in reality steering is not as directly connected to wheels, but there are little play here and there, also steering dampers are used to kill bigger jolts and part of the steering feel. Maybe not with formula cars though, but those too have something that gives a bit to reduce suddenness of jolts, maybe bit of force too, there are probably some joints.

Anyway, I think steering is bit too perfect and thus smaller bumps come too well trough, as tires and tracls gain level of realism, or maybe tracks have those bumps exaggerated?

With soft tires there is not so much of such issue, but certain jolts are bit too sharp in nature, maybe because of missing steering damper or such. So I think at least, but there is so much I don't know.

On another note, F2 with 1.00 car specific ffb multiplier is making every bump on road to be max force bump with my G25, according to pedal overlay plugin's FFB meter, every force is just about same, so I need to use around 0.6 to have difference in forces. That is clipping ffb, when ffb is set so that even small forces when turning even a little are making ffb to kick fully, then there is no difference between big and small forces and ffb generally will feel crap, but strong, using lighter settings will make ffb feel very light at some cornering, stronger at some other cornering and there is difference in forces.
    Of course still F2 has some shocks to steering, for example at Malaysia first two turns I can see how ffb bar of peadl overlay plugin is flashing at full length even having quite short bar of ffb forces otherwise.

General rule of thumb for ffb is that largest jolt should be max bar in pedal plugin graph display which is probably when going over rumble strips, but just barely being at max, that way one gets all other forces being different and not full jolts all the time. Of course it can result relatively light ffb, but when learning to light ffb one can find so much more information coming from ffb. But that is also one of possible issues with ffb producing large jolts at corners.

8. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

It isn't just "corners". It's when turning no matter how hard or soft.

When viewing the FFB plugin slider, the slider is acting normal in that it's usually going through the motions and not clipping at all. I rarely ever see the FFB slider go to full except in extreme force conditions as to be expected.

I don't know if it's the tires or the road. I'll have to test more tracks to see if I can find a pattern with these issues.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

As jtbo said, maybe its the granularity of the road surface you are feeling? Maybe its also all the tiny tiny vibrations and constant bumps you would normally feel in the cockpit underneath and all around you?? Remember the FFB has to incorporate some of the feelings you feel through your body underneath and all around you while in a race car. It cant just be a pure replication of steering wheel or else we would all be complaining of not feeling the car, because 75% of feeling the car (especially when on the limit) is felt through your body underneath and all around you, and not through your wheel.

10. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

That's quite possible. As I stated above, I'm going to have to do a lot more testing on all the tracks just to be sure it's not something specific to my wheel.

I'll try and post my findings.

11. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

I have tested the Megane, Clio, Formula Renault, and the ISI formula car. I tested them on Mill Metropark and Sebring.

What I have noticed is that the Clio and Formula Renault have outstanding FFB to them. The Megane feels very dead to me except in extreme situations. I don't get much feeling out of the Megane at all. I also don't get much feeling out of the ISI formula car.

The Clio and the Formula Renault have amazing FFB. These cars are superb in terms of overall feeling (tires, bumps, road changes). I could really get a sense of what was happening with these two cars. As stated above, the Megane just feels empty. So does the Nissan GTR. I haven't tested the Nissan 350Z yet, nor have I tested the old Lotus type cars.

Also, the Megane gave me the same feeling at Sebring as it did at Mills. Very dead and tended to have some very odd feelings when slightly turning at higher speeds.

Perhaps it's the setup of the Megane? Or the ISI Formula car? I just know that those two cars had very lackluster FFB for me. But boy did the FFB come alive when testing the Formula Renault and Clio. Wow.

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Moving this to the problems forums.

13. kro388th

kro388th Registered

I would turn the in game ffb multiplyer down as JTbo mentioned , I had a the same feelings (G27) of rocks or slight jolts from seemingly smoothe tarmac , i turned mine down from 1.00 to 0.60 and the rocks and jolts deminished , at first i felt steering was to free feeling at this setting but now im used to it and it feels good and no more rocks ! ...

14. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

I never run any car higher than .75 if that much.

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

16. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

No, nothing at all like that. It's not that I am having any issues with turning. It's an issue that affects certain cars when turning the wheel slightly. I may have stated this in another thread but it's like the FFB has some sort of noise to it or interference.

If you've ever driven on a dirt road or a road that had tons of rocks on it, it feels similar to that, but when turning the wheel slightly. You can feel it more when turning the wheel slightly because that's when the FFB is fighting back.

I find it kind of odd that I am feeling this in all of the cars that I mentioned had less overall FFB than the others I tested.

It happens with these cars:

Megane, Formula ISI, and Nissan GTR

It doesn't happen in these cars:

Clio, Formula Renault, and Formula 2

It's very strange that the very same cars I mentioned were lackluster in the FFB department are giving me this feeling and the other cars I mentioned that are giving me fantastic FFB are NOT doing it.

I've tested just about every possibility I can think of, I don't know what else I can give you.

Would you like me to take a video of what's going on? I can use FRAPS to record the FFB slider in the game and compare the slider to each car??

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012