GeForce vs Radeon, Captured Using High Speed Video

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by taufikp, Jan 12, 2013.

1. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Recorded at 120 FPS

Recorded at 240 FPS

Using high speed video, the stutters/hitches of each card can now be seen clearly.

Full report: http://techreport.com/review/24051/geforce-versus-radeon-captured-on-high-speed-video

Here's the frame time plot:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013
  2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Thank you taufikp! I think I made the better decision to get the gtx 670 rather than the HD 7970.

I moved the mouse to give you rep....but....lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013
  3. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I do not doubt the results, but I have to wonder if there was something about the system that favored the nVidia card over the ATI one. Testing hardware is difficult at best due to all the variables that can come up, and GPU's are no exception. If the same system and drives are used for testing both cards, were proper precautions such as reloading the entire OS taken to ensure that there were no left over drivers to conflict with the new drivers etc.

It would also be helpful to post the exact system configs along with any and all other software installed and used during the tests such as MSI Afterburner etc. Having information as the the state of the GPU and the CPU during the test would also be helpful in determining if the results can be validated or not.

I read the article that you linked and it does little to explain system config or any other software that was involved so determining the bias of the article is impossible without all the other factors.

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

That's a fair observation. I remember when the performance was best when it was Intel CPU + ATI card and AMD CPU + Nvidia card....weird.

5. MJP

MJP Registered

@Gearjammer

The article in the OP is (another) follow up to their original more indepth article here.

6. HKF0x

HKF0x Registered

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Thanks MJP, it wasn't really clear from the OP that this was the case. I read the entire article you linked and I see that this is definitely an issue and according to the link that HKF0x posted, AMD is working on it as we write.

It is always helpful when posting benchmarking links to link the main article and then any article that shows specifics so that there is less confusion in the future taufikp, but good find none the less, :)

8. taufikp

taufikp Registered

:D

Actually there are several posts in this forum, and all related to that Radeon vs GeForce 'spike' frame time articles. I also bought my GTX670 (originally I wanted to buy an HD7900 series) based on those articles' conclusion :D

List of the articles I read:
    - A New Look At Game Benchmarking : http://techreport.com/review/21516/inside-the-second-a-new-look-at-game-benchmarking
    - HD7950 vs GTX660 Ti Revisited : http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti-revisited
    - HD7950 Stumble In Windows 8? : http://techreport.com/review/24022/does-the-radeon-hd-7950-stumble-in-windows-8/8

And then this article was published after I bought the GTX670! >.<
    - Radeon Driver To Be Tweaked: http://techreport.com/news/24136/dr...e-radeon-frame-latencies-in-series-of-updates

9. taufikp

taufikp Registered

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Glad to see AMD is addressing this issue and I am looking forward to further developments in this area. This will likely impact our abilities on track as it will present smoother more consistent frames and hopefully will not affect the control input lag.

If all goes well and in the direction I would like to see, it would negate the need to use things like vsync to smooth out the graphics.

11. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Exactly. I'm going to reinstall my HD5770 to try this 13.2 beta driver and doing another benchmark. I'm glad that AMD has taken the frame-time latency report seriously. Since I'm planning on buying an HD7900 series card as well, this driver improvement is very good news indeed. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2013
  12. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

Was vsync on or off? I ask because mine is silky smooth with sync on but a jerky with it off?

13. taufikp

taufikp Registered

According to the report, VSync Off.

14. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

Well that's it then, its just tearing from having vsync off, stick it on and is smooth, well it is on mine anyway? ;)

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I get jerky fps on my GTX 460 SLI when i have no vsync video off and the fps is anything below 140. As the average fps is lowered, around 60 fps the game is pretty much an unplayable mess of jerky unsmooth gameplay. I have the settings lowered to the point to supply me with 140+ so it's smooth and enjoyable but i miss the graphics. :(

Thanks taufikp, i found that very insightful read. :) I used to brush over the types of reviews that used frame timing because i was lazy to wanting to take the time to understand it fully but now i do and makes a lot of sense to use them in the future for my own means of comparing cards.

Please do let me know your results with the new driver, i'm still sticking to my GTX 670 though because i had a lucky bargin but if the results are good and smoothness in rf2 it would mean ATI...sorry...AMD are back on track and it makes complete sense for up-graders to get a HD 7970 over a GTX 680 at such a lower price.

16. taufikp

taufikp Registered

For jerky movement in rF2, try to disable the Replay feature first. In my system, disabling Replay = silky smooth movement, but of course now I don't have any 'documentation' of my race :D

If you don't like that, then this next solution is worth to try: if you have more than 4 GB of RAM (system RAM not video RAM), you can edit the PLR file and change the line that enabling you to save the whole Replay data into RAM first before writing them into the disk after the race is over.

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

oooh, i will try tomorrow....thank you! :D

btw, what were your results on the HD 5770?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013