Geeky gMotor 2 error

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by GuitarTech, Sep 20, 2016.

1. GuitarTech

GuitarTech Registered

Hi everybody
    I've been using rF2 for quite a while now, and never had any problems until now.Up until a few days ago, that is.
    So my first post is also a cry for help :)
    sometimes when loading tracks the computer freezes, and when I Alt Tab back to the desktop I see the following message:

Gmotor 2 Error
    MESH NGT3 WIPER ANIMATED: Bone Bone 02 could not be found in animFile WIPER.ANIM

Strangest error message I've ever seen :) What exactly does it mean, and how do I fix it?

2. stonec

stonec Registered

The track loading problems I reckon were usually a symptom of low RAM or low virtual memory. rF2 needs quite a lot of free RAM, so if you have both low RAM available and OS virtual memory set too low, it could produce these type of errors.

3. GuitarTech

GuitarTech Registered

Nope, I don't think that's the problem in this case: I built a new system in April with all the best goodies: Gigabyte G5 Mobo, i5 Skylake, GTX 970, and 16Gb ram.etc, running WIN 10 64bit
    When it loads, rF2 flies, and I also have AC, PCars, R3E, GTR2 and P&G, and they all fly too.
    I used MSFS for years too, so I'm used to having weird **** problems :)

4. stonec

stonec Registered

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Sounds like a CAR issue to me.

6. GuitarTech

GuitarTech Registered

I'm using the steam version, so I'm taking it as a given that it's running in 64bit mode. Which cars I select doesn't seem to make a difference, I never select all of them anyway, only the same class. One thing I did notice though, when checking theTask Manager: the Renovatio SRD-9C dashboard software that I'm running parallel to rF2 is running in 32bit mode. What's that all about? I also tried starting rF2 without it running, doesn't seem to make a difference...Although it's hard to say for sure, as the problem only happens randomly. Most of the time rF2 starts and loads normally, except for when it hangs up during loading :)...go figure
    I also saw that a Dev. answered in November last year "We are actively looking into this issue, thank you for your patience" That sounds familiar from my days with MSFS, I bet he used to work for Microsoft :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2016
  7. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

It's a car issue, when you create a animation (I don't even know why they did it, since there's no animated wipers in rF2) the creator have to check "fix bone names" in Gmotor exporter otherwise it will crash, probably the issue came from a bone of first wiper copied to the second one.

8. GuitarTech

GuitarTech Registered

If that's true, then I have a problem: I have a stack of add-on cars, including since a few weeks the EGT, PX and T5 car packs from URD.
    Is there anything that solves the problem? and why doesn't rF2 have animated wipers anyway, like PCars? Seems a bit pointless having weather with raindrops, and then no wipers...but I digress, I don't want to open any cans of worms here :)

9. stonec

stonec Registered

I don't think it's the car unless you get that error with the same mod always, it shouldn't for sure happen with URD type quality mod. Random track loading errors are according to Tim Wheatley due to running out of virtual memory (source).

10. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I would say it's caused by at least 2 Cars, that both are using the Animation File "WIPER.ANIM" for their Wiperanimation.
    That includes the used Safety Car also!
    Check, if it happens, if that's the fact.
    If yes, rename the ANIM File and the GEN Entry for that File also, repackage it and check it again.
    The Problem should be gone then.

11. GuitarTech

GuitarTech Registered

Well, after reading for hours and hours about virtual memory ( isn't internet wonderfull? you ask five people about it, and get six different answers :-/ )
    So, in the end I've decided to follow Microsofts recommendation, and let the system administer the virtual memory automatically, without setting a set figure. Apparently, with Win 10, it works best when you let the system get on with it, instead of setting a hard limit.
    We will see, since I ticked the box it hasn't happened again, but I've only tried it a few times.
    I'd like to thank everybody who took the trouble to reply, I've certainly learned a lot, and hopefully solved the problem.

12. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Glad to hear you fixed your issue - and thumbs up for letting all know what made it work, many simply disappear, leaving others with similar problems in the dark :)

13. GuitarTech

GuitarTech Registered

I spent all last night testing the new settings. Unfortunatly it hasn't solved the problem, but I've found a workround.
    The problem seems to be that rF2 has problems changing tracks on the fly. If you then try to change the track again within the menu, then it'll more often than not crash.But if you exit to desktop and close rF2 completly, when you start rF2 again, it loads the track that you selected before it crashed. Go figure....
    So, the solution seems to be: Select the track where you want to drive when you start rF2. If you want to change the track, close rF2 completly and start afresh with the new track selection.
    After testing all the other sims that I have ( R3E, Pcars, AC, GTR2, P&G ), I have come to the conclusion that it is an rF2 coding problem, which only seems to occur when using Win10 64bit.
    If any Devs. from ISI read this thread, maybe they should take a look at the problem and try and find a fix. To make the job easier, here are my system specs:

Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5 mobo
    6600K i5 Skylake @ 4.4GHz CPU
    MSI GTX 970 GPU ( standard clock )
    Kingston HyperX 16gb 2 x 8gb DDR4-2666 RAM
    Creative Soundblaster Z Soundcard
    Corsair RM650X 650W PSU
    2 x Samsung 850 evo SSD's
    Noctua fans

TM T300RS + GT28 wheel
    TM T3PA-Pro Pedals
    TM TH8A shifter
    TM TRJ12r USB adapter
    Ricmotech SRD-9C-TMH data display

Win 10 64bit build 1607 clean install, not upgrade.

14. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Try deleting content of the Cbash dir (it'll rerender)

But the mentioned GMT is from some car, possibly a modded one. Perhaps one of your tracks uses it as safetycar.

15. GuitarTech

GuitarTech Registered

WiZPER
    Thanks for replying, I'm learning new things all the time here :) Where do I find the Cbash directory, and what does it do?
    That it could be some car or other is possible, the original gMotor2 message concerned a problem with animated wipers, which must belong to some car or other. Now that _I think about it, the problems started after I installed all the payware car packs from URD, but not immediatly after the install. I'll be a bit sad if it turns out to be one of them, the "Darche" 911 is one of my favorite cars...:-( And what is GMT? ( when it's not Greenwich Mean Time :) )

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  16. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Try hitting the Enter key when the computer "freezes".
    From memory ( mine, not the computers ) the computer hasn't frozen but has paused loading the track because of the error.
    If it pauses again, hit Enter.
    There might be more than one error.

17. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Not at my PC right now so hard to give specific location, well the WIPER.ANIM is an animation which is assigned an object (.GMT). Cbash contains rendered cache files, mostly shaders (graphical routines), and help when loading track next time, if some file in there is corrupt it could cause the crash.

You could also try a Steam content validation, don't recollect the directions but most lightly a right click on rFactor 2 in Steam and then a point in the drop down menu.

18. GuitarTech

GuitarTech Registered

That is indeed the case, every time you hit the enter key the load programm skips a file that it couldn't load. I keep on hitting enter till the track loading bar has come to an end, then it crashes back to desktop. Then you can start rF2 again, and it all loads normally...go figure :-(
    I love computers, they've been giving me grief for 30 years, and I still can't stop playing with them :)

19. GuitarTech

GuitarTech Registered

I already tried the steam file validation,it found 2 or 3 files that were corrupted, and it replaced them. Didn't help though..:-(
    When I've understood you correctly, I should delete the contents of the cBash directory, and they'll be re-rendered during the next loading sequence?

20. stonec

stonec Registered

If you are getting different results depending on which time you click race, using the same content, then all I can think of is partly corrupt RAM or bad HDD sectors. Because the game code is going through the same loading stage every time you click race, even if you restart the game it will attempt to load exactly the same things. So it doesn't make much sense to me that cBash would cause it either, but yes you can delete content in that folder (first load after that will be slower).