Gearprotection in the Porsche Cup 992

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Sebastian Wunsch, Dec 27, 2022.

1. Sebastian Wunsch

Sebastian Wunsch Registered

Hey guys,
    First of all thanks for the great 992 cup car. It is in all behaves better than all other cars you have released yet. Absolutely nice car which maked a lot fun to drive.

I drove some laps at the Nordschleife and I had very often the issue, that I were not able to downshift at the correct point. The RPM were very low, but still the sound of the Downshift protection (for example in the Mutkurve). The same thing also with upshifts. I stuck in the 1st gear and were not allowed to upshift and I stuck in the rev limiter with full throttle.

I dont know if this is realistic, but tbh it feels very strange in some situations.

One other small thing. It would be very nice if we could get the Endurance version of this car in the near future. Espacially for NLS seasons it would be nice to have a car with the specs like to old cup car.

Thanks for your work.

Sebastian Wunsch

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You need to have (20%?) throttle to upshift, and no throttle (<20%?) to downshift. That's probably what you're noticing.

It's realistic, apparently.

Rui Santos likes this.
  3. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Reality is sometimes strange. It seems we don't like realism but familiarity.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Familiarity breeds content-ment.

:p

I'll see myself out...

5. Sebastian Wunsch

The problem is, when I am in the 1st gear at 100% throttle and the car in Rev limiter and still no upshift. (I checked my wheelinput everything fine).
    And the same with downshift. I trailbrake into Mutkurve (maybe not the 20% brake) and no downshift. Espacially in this corner this protection will be the thing for the most accident in this corner.

6. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I haven't seen the upshift issue, it always upshifts as long as I am accelerating. I've noticed the downshift protection, when the revs are high it won't downshift even with the foot off the gas.

In any case, aren't the brakes enough that you need to use so much engine braking? The downshift protection prevents us from overusing engine braking and damaging the engine. I think modern cars rely less on engine braking and more on the real brakes, don't they?

7. Sebastian Wunsch

Just tell me the sence of a down shift protection, when you are not able to downshift in the middle of the corner because your rpm are to low. I am not complaining about the protection in general. The GTEs or also the LMP2 has a great protection, but espacially the protection for the upshifts are just unnecessary. If you did not had this issue till this stage, than your were lucky or you tested the cup not in detail. Because my teammates have the same issue. I think the downshiftprotection should be RPM based and not based on your pedal positions.

8. Sebastian Wunsch

Here you can see both situations. 1st I stuck in the 3rd gear cause of not 20% brakeposition. And then stuck in the 1st gear, because...I dont know why...?

9. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I said I can't downshift when revs are too high, not too low. It has been confirmed that the shift protection is like in the real car. I can't make any sense of the video.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, that looks a bit strange. I drove this car for a couple of hours racing the other day, including multiple spins and small crashes (deliberately, for testing purposes, of course) and didn't have any shifting issues except those that made sense (ie too much throttle to downshift, not enough throttle to upshift). Might need to experiment more and try to reproduce that behaviour.

Go tell Porsche. As above, apparently this behaviour (when working correctly) is as real life.

davehenrie likes this.
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If you need someone to volunteer to spin out in front of you, I'm sure I could provide multiple opportunities! ;)

I

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I did most of the spinning myself! I think I found my talent :D

13. keith_d

keith_d Registered

The real car has an auto blip function, did you try switching it on in RF2?

14. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

i like the new system. it is new to me aswell, and feels strange, and i struggle with it too sometimes.
    i get stuck on high gears sometimes, but when i do, i know it is my fault completely for not shifting when i should. it is usually being too late for the down shift, (so im already on throttle at that point).
    the system clearly protects the gearbox, and wont let you engage gear if the "torgue jolt to the gear" would be too much.

15. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Many of us have gotten used to correct a mistake (in braking, turn in etc.) with last second downshift.
    i always kinda knew that, most of the times it is unrealistic privilege for simracers, and seriously doubted if it would have been possible in real life (right after i saved my self with the downshift!).

it just felt that THAT gear prob would not have engaged irl, but i take it.
    well now i cant do that anymore. forces me to drive better avoid mistakes more.
    love it!

davehenrie and Bernat like this.