SOLVED Game launches, but is invisible?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Haudi, May 14, 2015.

1. Haudi

Haudi Registered

So when I launch RF2 single or multiplayer my display switches resolutions like normal, then I'm left looking at my Windows desktop. If move the mouse around I get the noises of mousing over the game menu buttons, and I can click on these invisible buttons (randomly, I can see only my desktop) and progress through the menus. I can interact with the Windows taskbar as if I'm in windows, but anything north of that on the screen is as if the game menu is present and invisible. If I ctrl+alt+del and pull up task manager RF2 does not show as a running application. If I go to the processes list the exe is there and I can end task. Sometimes it works normally after a second try, sometimes it takes more tries. So far tonight I can't make it work at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
  2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

All I can think to suggest is try moving or deleting Drive:\rFactor2\Userdata\config.ini

DON'T use the Launcher\Settings\Video Settings to set resolution.
    Run offline it will boot in 1024 resolution.
    Go OPTIONS\VIDEO RES
    Set preferred resolution and apply.

P.S.

Something to try with single monitor that I like and prefer 200% .......

in VIDEO RES also set WINDOWED to WINDOWED ( aka Fullscreen Windowed Mode )

You use the win key ( whatever) to bring up taskbar / startbar and multi-task no fuss ( no more alt-tab)
    rF2 will run in background smooth as ( does not pause) , ie: so you can be online watching cars lap and typing this.

Looks identical to fullscreen no borders.

I never had any game or sim ever work so well, they all end up getting clunky after a few hours of alt-tab or something wont open or close.
    rF2 never spits the dummy ;)

May not work as well for you or others, may be hardware / setup related.

Maybe OS too, definitely works better in W7 then W8.1 for me, that is for sure.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
  3. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Windowed mode runs through OS sync buffer, which introduces latency, it has nothing to do with hardware, please explain, no picks pure technical data please.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I been running FSW for 3 years.

Come to my room in F3 Evie and beat my Rank. :rolleyes:

I will kick your butt into the next weekend.

Latency please. :rolleyes:

Oh please help ! I can't lap good ! Latency is killing me.

In your dreams. ;)

I will also take on anyone with a thousand dollar wheel with my $200 one. lol

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
  5. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I asked you to document you claim obviously you can not.
    Windowed mode runs through OS sync buffer, which introduces latency, proof me wrong evie master :rolleyes:

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I not saying it don't but I think you inferring I must be having a reduced experience somehow. :)

Or....... if I run full screen somehow magically better latency will make me a better driver/ lapper

Pigs Trotters

7. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

The thing is that you made similar claim here : http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/24446-Windowed-vs-Full-Screen?p=352683&viewfull=1#post352683 . I believed you and used few days to find if you claim is true or not.
    My hardware is better our`s and if you can use windowed mode so can I, right?

This is what I found out about windowed mode, single card and monitor.

60hz/60fps = latency, stutters, input lag.
    120hz/120fps= huge latency, micro stutters, tearing.
    60hz no locked fps = Latency, stutters, stutters, tearing.
    120hz no locked fps = tearing, stutters, input lag, game is unplayable.

I have spend my quality time to you claim and I do not want anybody else to bee unsure and spend they time to this too. I asked you to document you claim and obviously you can not, way you answer to me is childish, if you have used windowed mode 3 years or if it makes you a better driver is not a proof and if you you can not document any hard core fact, you claim is a lie.

YOU OWN ME EXPLANATION.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
  8. Haudi

Haudi Registered

This issue is still happening for me. Windowed mode fixes the issue, but the frame rate is crap and it's quite lame to play with part of my desktop visible (contrary to the above post when set windowed the game doesn't take up the full screen). Tonight out of 20 attempts I was able to get in to the game 3 times.

9. Haudi

Haudi Registered

Took a video with a phone because I wasn't sure if a screen capture program would mess with this issue or not. This only happens in rFactor2, nothing else. Has happened with two different GPU's (onboard intel and now a pce-e Geforce).

10. Haudi

Haudi Registered

Thanks to Tim looks like this is figured out. It had to do with my projector switching resolutions too slowly essentially. By setting the game and Windows to the same screen resolution AND refresh rate this issue is solved.