Game freezes for 2 secs when someone exits during the race

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by zmitya, Oct 12, 2021.

1. zmitya

zmitya Registered

Hi All,

This is a very old bug (~ 5 years) I believe and it keeps popping up. There are a few already opened tickets on this but none of them seemed to be closed yet (at least I did not find it). It would be really nice to solve the issue because it just locks out a few people from the game/championships.

I think that you guys don't fix this because this is a marginal issue, only a few people are affected (2 out of 22 in our case) but the issue is 100% reproducible in their case.
    Let me summarize what we know about this issue
    - it only happens during a race
    - a very few of us (2 out of 22) has this issue, I don't see any connection between them (yet)
    - when someone exits during the race, this 2 guy's game just stops for 2-3 seconds. After that time they continues their race from where it stopped, but until the others were moved away. This can cause huge crashes, end of the race, end of the championship etc..
    - we also know that this bug is related to the car upgrades. Not the "Fixed upgrades" flag in the dedicated server but the selectable possibilities in the car showroom.

Lets say "A" driver is not affected by this bug and "B" driver is the unlucky and his game stops due to this Bug. When "A" and "B" have exactly the same upgrades selected in the showroom, nothing happens. But if there is at least one difference in the selection list, car of driver "B" will stop when "A" exits during a race.

It is a pity that we still have this issue after 5 or more years now. Now the issue is 100% reproducible, we can do whatever you guys want from us to reprocude it. Please let us know what we can do to help you out, we can provide our car, server, time anything you need to fix this issue.

Thanks,
    Mitya

2. Giorda

Giorda Registered

Hi, I did some tests, I had the same problem as you.
    I tried not to force the upgrade in the room, modified but not forced. The problem seems solved for the moment

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

As a league, you have the ability to prevent this, send out a checklist of the upgrades and demand the teams/drivers all double check they have the correct options chosen. Crashes like that appear to be preventable and severe driver penalties might have to be issued.
    Having said that, I agree there should be something in the game code that prevents those mis-matches.

4. zmitya

zmitya Registered

Hi Giorda,
    How do you mean "modified but not forced" ?
    How is it possible to modify but not to force ?

5. zmitya

zmitya Registered

Do you mean choosing the upgrades directly in the HDV and not creating upgrades.ini file ?

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The upgrade ini is ok, but the league administrators must clearly communicate which option is allowed well before the date of the race. It should be regularly drilled into league members to double check their settings in the upgrade.ini before ever attempting to log onto a race.

7. zmitya

zmitya Registered

But we can not (don't want to) force the drivers to use this or that engine sound. We use the upgrade.ini to give them options to choose different sounds, wheels, steering settings, etc...

However it seems that we have a workaround here. We created standalone upgrade.ini file for EVERY vehicle. It seems that we can choose different upgrades, the issue went away. It is not a nice way to do it, but it solves the problem.

Csongor Ferenczi and davehenrie like this.
  8. vava74

vava74 Registered

As per what was posted on Discord by "Morbo66": This bug had existed since s397 introduced the GTE cars with lemans aero package, because you get peopel using lemans aero pack at tracks that no sane team would ever use low downforce package at in real life.
    It's easy to reproduce, just use s397 cup car. Have 2 people drive same .veh. have one of them turn off position lights. So same .veh, diff upgrades. If one of them leaves server during race, massive freeze for half the field (edited)

9. svictor

svictor Registered

As Giorda said, to avoid freeze, all drivers MUST NOT ever click/enabled "Force setup" button in Customize menu. If only one player has this button clicked and is in server, it will have a very high chance to trigger freeze on exit.

However it is impossible to restrict player from clicking "Force setup" button, so the best option is to make a special upgrades.ini or TrackConfigs.ini that limit car configure choices (if the race is already using skin pack, just include it in the MAS file). If you can't do that, then you will need to talk to everyone in the race to not click "Force setup" button, and if they clicked already, ask them to click "Reset setup" button then must restart RF2 to apply the change (again, even if only one player did click Force setup, it will still cause the whole server freeze).

The problem was also discussed here: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/force-setup-button-bypasses-trackconfigs-ini.69625/
    Hope one day it will be fixed.

vava74 and DJCruicky like this.