Game freeze

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chuckyeager, May 29, 2014.

1. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

It's 1 year now that i've got random image freeze, its seems that the sim is turning i can hear the sound.
    I can recover by pause and alt tab to the desktop and back.
    Then the shaders seems to have disappeared (no more reflexions on the cars) and come back after few seconds

It's really boring, annoying whatever... because it's damn good when it works !!
    And it doesn't seems to be related to the amount of memory, i can play sometimes almost at full res and have freeze at low ???
    Can't figure it out, could you give me an hint or something ?
    Your welcome !!

Win 7
    GTX 570 card (1270 Mo) last drivers, enough page file etc...
    Done reinstalling etc...
    I'm on a RAID 0 sata ssd

2. melg

melg Registered

Is your card getting to hot? This can cause problems.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We don't have any game freeze issues in our database. Your system or a plugin, perhaps.

Sent using Tapatalk

4. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

I don't think it's my hardware, i've got no problems with different games or simulations like x plane, of course it slows down when memory is full and swapping kick in but never freeze to never recover ??
    It must be related to the way the video memory is allocated and dropped, sometimes it freezes up to a crash...
    And i've read that crashes happen for many people who are asking for a 64 bit version isn't it ?
    I've got no exotic pluggin just the rfactor 2 660 release with the great formula 3.5 mod.
    I've got nice bubbles surrounding the light when they are off with strange reflexions of dashboard in it with the antialiasing 8xS combined. It is working very well though both visually and in term of performance

Thanks to take the time for an answer!

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Ah, as your first post said it wasn't related to memory, I assumed you had checked memory usage when it happened. What is your memory usage when it happens?

6. datanode

datanode Registered

Hi I was just about to post something on the forums that can exhibit a similar effect (if I understand correctly)

Have you looked in your windows event log at the time that seems to match this phenomenon?

I had a IO exception caused by a combination of factors with my ssd.

So try the following in some rough order of sense.

1. Run a scan disk on the ssd (should take about 30 seconds, then go into details and then more details ? To see if it found anything)

2. Ensure you are using a motherboard raid driver not a windows generic data driver, especially if it is an amd system (driver is older but should be used)

3. Tune the ssd, ensure hot swap is enabled in bios, if it again is and maybe just achi enabled is ok.

4. Upgrade bios.

5. Recheck the game / errors

In relation to 3 don't hopeless hunt for options that might not be there if you are not sure please just ask.

Maybe something in the application logs will hint this to be the way to go, if they don't, it is up to you... This shouldn't harm anything when done correctly.

7. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

During my last "crash test" the max video memory used was 800 something out of 1250 so... that's why i'm not sure i've seen cases when it indeed was full and others like this one when it seems ok.
    I don't know much about the various technologies algorithm etc... but when i check the space needed by track + vehicle it seems always way down compare to the max of the video card. Is it necessary to have more than one instance of a texture for example? why does it take so much more in video memory than on disk ? There is fragmentation or the opposite there is not, fast access impede the efficient space storage that is used on a ssd or something like that ??

Thanks to datanode for your advise i will try very carefully as it's been a long time since i've installed this raid 0 so i don't even know how i did it, followed a process, i remember installing an intel driver but as i check the devices it seems that indeed its a windows driver under Raid0. Well there are two parts, under disk drives and under storage controller which is an intel ich8R to ich10R/Do sata raid controller, i'm already lost
    Device type :
    1) disk drives
    2) storage controller

motherboard : ASUS P5E
    Proc : intel E8500

For me a disk is a storage system and to control and to drive is not so different...?

8. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

All those symptoms are similar to a GPU driver crash and/or bad GPU driver/hardware functionality. You should check your GPU temps under heavy loads. Are you overclocking something?

I suggest you to record a log with a proper software, like MSI Afterburner and then check the log output to see what happens to core elements (CPU/GPU temps mostly) during those freezes/crashes.

Also check if your Win7 aero it's crashing at the same time or if the desktop goes black for a few seconds.

The fact you're not getting issues with other games does not matter. :)

9. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

Well if scan is CHKDSK it reports no errors

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

thats got nothing to do with GPU crashes, do as Tuttle says and record your temps, make sure you have the latest drive too.

11. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

OK but without knowing if 70 °C is to hot or not depending on the life heat cycle of my hardware i can play sometimes for a long moment after it happend and i recovered so i think i can logically deduce that it is not the problem ??

12. Tuttle

There is no need to check a SSD with CHKDSK as the disk controller it's managing bad sectors automatically.

13. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

Are you, tim, the creator of car factory ?
    It was great! does it still works with rfactor 2 ? It should be added to the game

14. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

ok, me don't know :lol: i just try to answer to datanode

15. Tuttle

70° what? The GPU? CPU? Core temp? Not a deal on the GPU but if it's the CPU temp then you're next to the max temp for that processor. We can't speculate too much on this kind of problems. :)

16. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

No, GPU! and what do you think of the reasoning ? that i should'nt be able to play after first occurence if it was temp triggered ? For what reason wouldn't it freeze again without a fridge ?
    I can assure you that i don't cheat and put my pc to the fridge just to create an exotic case !
    :cool:

17. Tuttle

Of course I believe you. :) Just trying to grab more info.

BTW....That's my list of suggestions. If you want to follow that way, please, don't bypass/skip or swap any passage:

1) Reboot the system and enter the BIOS. Check you're not using any OverClocking, any overvoltage on anything etc. Make your BIOS working on stock and safe values for your hardware.
    2) Download and install (BUT DO NOT RUN YET) DDU from here: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/
    3) Download the latest (NON BETA) nVidia WHQL driver for your card/OS (BUT DO NOT INSTALL YET)
    4) Disconnect the internet to avoid the automatic driver search&install by the windows autoupdate system
    5) Run the DDU software
    3) Select NVIDIA in the driver list menu
    3) Click on CLEAN AND RESTART
    4) You'll be asked to run the system in safemode, accept and proceed.
    5) The system will reboot and then follow the DDU software to clean the system from any nVidia driver and software (remove everything!)
    6) Reboot the system
    7) Install the nVidia driver
    8) Reboot the system
    9) Connect to the internet
    10) Config rFactor 2 with your settings (you need to do that as the new driver will force the game to a new video setup)
    11) Launch rF2 and check

18. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

OK thank you very much, i appreciate, i will try but not in the next hour, your idea about motherboard bios maybe good i remember i had taylored some parameters like memory timings but no overclock, i will try the factory settings.

19. Tuttle

Ok.

PS: Wrong memory timings are a typical cause of instability...so yeah, revert all those parameters to defaults for your hardware and then do the rest of the list, when you can. Good luck.

20. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

Oh, one last idea, i realized that when i open the nvidia inspector monitoring app it makes rfactor 2 get out of image freeze, at least when watching replay
    Must have a reason for that...?