G29 breaking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BillyDB, Apr 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. BillyDB

BillyDB Registered

I am a hopeless driver but love sim racing anyway. I've been trying for a very long time to get sub 2:18 in gte around spa. I know pathetic but I am not great. But I just figured out the biggest issue I've been having is lock up. I've been aware of this issue and how I should be breaking but the problem was I just couldn't get the muscle memory to judge the right pressure consistently, so some laps I almost nailed and often when about to beat my record the adrenalin would mean slamming too hard and locking up and spinning on the last corner.

Solution:
    1. In the configuration of the wheel in RF2 press the break as hard as is comfortable (I know not realistic) and set the max pressure. Meaning 100% is as far as you want to push and know that you are max breaking.

2. In the car setup before the race go to the breaks tab and set the max pedal pressure to 80%. I will keep experimenting but this worked right out the gate. I'm going to keep upping the value till the point of lock up to minimise the break point distance to the corner.

This combo means (at least in the Ferrari GTE) it is functionally impossible to lock up and with the extra padding with step 1 you can be sure of max breaking before every corner.

I can now easily get 2:17 and now feel there's at least another second or two to find without the constant headache of unpredictable breaking and the joy getting consistent :)

Alternatively I could get better pedals but you know...

2. Comante

Comante Registered

Save up for better pedals, even used ones from ebay, you really want a load cell. If you can make some soldering and metalworking , there are tons of logitech modifications to put a load cell instead of potentiometer. Worth a try.

3. BillyDB

BillyDB Registered

You are right of course and I realize this is kind of a hack to compensate for my lack of skill / crappy pedals. I’m a bit worried about my equally crappy desk setup being able to cope with realistic pedals though. Not having a proper rig and sitting in an ikea desk chair that I pulled the wheels off.

4. Comante

Comante Registered

Load cell does not mean 100Kg of footwork . I'm at a desk too, and my setup consist of a loadcell and a stiffer spring bought in a first attempt to improve braking, and a rubber piece to shorten pedal travel. Even in this limited condition, load cell is 10 times better than pots.