G27 Pedal Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PearceYaussy, Dec 2, 2015.

1. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Hi all. So before I open the thing up and look around, wanted to see if anyone here has an easier solution. I was in the middle of a race, and my clutch pedal stopped working suddenly. I tried restarting the wheel to no avail. Strange thing is, when I go to controller properties I see that nothing happens when I press the clutch, but when I press the gas all the way, the green bar ("Brake & Accelerator") fills up completely and ALSO the "clutch" needle goes halfway. It seems like full throttle also registers as half clutch, but pushing the actual clutch pedal does nothing. Strange :confused: In game, pushing the throttle does not engage the clutch at all though...

???

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

in the control panel in windows does it do the same thing?

3. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Yes, that's what I was talking about. In the game settings screen it shows no clutch activity no matter what...

This thing has lasted through 6 years of heavy use... Surprised it lasted this long...

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Your pedals need cleaning.
    There is a very good chance they will work again after a treatment with WD40(I think its called).
    There are plenty of videos at utube about it.

5. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

There are things you can't repair. For all other things there are WD40 and tape ;)

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

...and take care on the cables while opening and closing the pedals housing. It`s a good chance to cut them.

7. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I would check the cable carefully for cuts or damage (especially if you have pets). If that all looks good, it wouldn't hurt to clean the potentiometers. Strange things can happen when they get jumpy (it's the same as a staticky volume control on an old radio)

I would recommend against WD-40 as it'll leave a residue that attracts dust and grime. Look for something called "contact cleaner" like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-QD-11-oz-Contact-Cleaner-02130-6/202262505

The cleaner/solvent will dry completely and leave behind a very thin film of lubricant. A small can will last many years. I use it on my pedals, guitar controls, motorcycle, car... anywhere where contacts can build up a fine layer of corrosion. For the G27, the potentiometers have a hole in the side so you don't need to remove them or take the pots apart like some how-to guides claim... just a couple of squirts of the contact cleaner in the hole then work the pedal 5-10 times through a full range of motion.

As Juergen says, be very careful opening and closing the pedals. The wires are thin and clip into several little clips. That said, they're simple inside... just move slowly, read a few guides so you know what's inside (Perfect Pedal's site has a good teardown)

8. qusimano

qusimano Registered

9. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Ah, eureka. Seems the wire was caught on a sharp place under my desk and got cut a little. I cut and stripped the wire and twisted them back together, and it works (almost) like new. A little bit of "flickering" if you know what I mean, but it's as good at I can get it...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2015
  10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

The little bit of "flickering" should be solved with cleaning the pedals, too...

11. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

That, and the wires being twisted together like they are. Such low voltage is very sensitive if everything isn't perfect. 110v you can twist all you want lol

12. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Ok, it's happening again :mad:. Any one got any tips on better reconnecting the wires? Is there a better way than twisting them? I can't solder it straight to the pedals because it would be too short...

13. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

without seeing what your dealing with its hard to recommend a solution, could you put a piece of wire to bridge the gap and solder in each side of the bridging wire?

any chance you can post a picture to illustrate what your working with?

14. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Right now I have the black cable coming out of the pedals, about a foot long, and the wires stripped at the end. Then I have the rest of the cable that goes to the wheel, also stripped at the other end. I have every wire twisted together and taped separately. I will post a pic when I get a chance

15. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Ok, I cleaned it out and redid the wires, working ok for now... fingers crossed

16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Great!