G27 - notchydeath on rF, fine on LFS

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by blackboard_sx, Jan 23, 2016.

1. blackboard_sx

blackboard_sx Registered

Hi folks! Long time listener, first time caller.

A buddy has a G27. It started going notchy/jerky on rFactor, as in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utqicYjai8c

Tried it out on his system, and it was doing this while running rFactor, more frequently. Unplayable, jerks you around the track. So I fired up LFS (which he doesn't play anymore), and it was fine.

Brought it to my house, tried it out. rFactor, notchyjerky. LFS, fine. From my understanding, this is attributed to aging, a spring going out, causing a brass gear to get angry with a plastic gear. General solution, buy another G27, which, he has no problem with.

But, LFS being fine confuses me. FFB is strong, quite nice. Only thing I could imagine, is that LFS FFB is different enough from rFactor that the wheel isn't having to kill itself.

Meh?

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Apply some ffb smoothing in your rF2 controller settings :)

3. blackboard_sx

blackboard_sx Registered

RF1 - none of this fancy in-game "smoothing" you young whippersnappers got these days :)

Running RealFeel, which has similar options -- but, in game changes didn't help. Ended up going to 70% FFB strength on the Logitech Profiler. Li'l notchy at low speed, but works fine in drift. Only, the steering is notably lighter. We use our sims to practice, so it doesn't work out if the steering input isn't at least similar to our vehicles, and his is pretty heavy.

Eh well. I picked up the G27 used off CL a couple years ago, and it's been going 900° lock to lock somewhat regularly since. Possibly just time. Namaste, li'l wheel. Namaste.