G27 losing steering sync mid race.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by wrff.tiger@gmail, Jun 19, 2023.

1. wrff.tiger@gmail

wrff.tiger@gmail Registered

So I have recently been experiencing an issue I have never had before. In the middle of a race I will be driving and everything is fine when suddenly it's like my steering wheel goes out of sync, like it loses it's calibration if you know what I am trying to say. I'm not sure if it's a problem with my wheel or the game. It has happened most recently when trying to run a race at Le mans with more AI opponents than I normally race against. Anyone else experienced this? I have never had this issue before with the Logitech G27 and otherwise it works great for me 99% of the time. Any advice?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You'll need to describe more accurately what's happening, because 3 things spring immediately to mind:
    • game 'lag' caused by your CPU not keeping up, which can make your on-screen wheel lag behind your wheel (can also cause slow-motion, or some combination of the two).
    • Your G27 losing centre calibration due to a loose encoder wheel, which can be made worse (or happen quicker) with harsh FFB (and can be related to AI, either because you're not driving as smoothly or a stuttering from the CPU not keeping up).
    • Having the selected rotation change, so you have to turn less (or more) to get around corners than you did previously. This can be profile (logitech profiler) related, or just running non-standard settings on your wheel and they might be resetting to default.
    They are 3 different things which will feel and look different to each other, and have different potential fixes. There are probably more.

So, more info please.

DJCruicky likes this.
  3. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

could be the wheel. It has an optical sensor that counts the holes on a small wheel. If either the sensor of the wheel have gone a little bit loose, it gets out of sync.
    Plenty of videos on youtube on how to fix it. But you have to dissemble it.
    My old one had trouble centering, and got gradually more out of center in races.

4. wrff.tiger@gmail

honestly, I don't know how to answer. there are so many variables involved. All I can say as in a typical 10 lap race with any type of content ,GTE, GT3, BTCC, etc. I don't have this problem. When I experienced this issue I was trying to run a multi-class le mans race scheduled for 240 minutes with x6 time scale. about lap 7 I experienced this issue. Very strange. Any advice is much appreciated.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You aren't describing what's actually happening.

"like my steering wheel goes out of sync, like it loses it's calibration if you know what I am trying to say."

No! I don't know what you're trying to say! :D

6. wrff.tiger@gmail

I'm not good with words. I was driving and everything was fine, then all of the sudden it was like my wheel wasn't in sync with the wheel on screen. It happened for no reason. I didn't crash, I didn't hit anything, just suddenly my wheel fell out of sync with the virtual wheel on screen. Do you understand what I mean? It ruined my race. Sorry if I'm not making sense.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's ok, you don't have to be good with words. Just use more words, and try to use different ones.

Was the on-screen wheel moving after yours? (instead of moving at the same time)

Or, was it not turning as far as yours? So you'd turn yours 90 degrees, and the on-screen would move less (or even more). (that would sound like a calibration issue, but maybe it's not that at all)

Was the wheel still straight on straights, or did you have to put your wheel in a strange position to drive straight?

If you just answer those questions (at least in your head) you'll cover the 3 potential issues I mentioned.

Separately: whichever one or other issue it was, did it stay like that? Or did it get better after some time? (maybe you couldn't drive and stopped?)

Just to take a guess on it being some sort of lag, check your Ctrl-C graph for the Purple (physics) bar, especially if this happens again. Try a few more AI cars than you had problems with, and if you have problems immediately it's probably CPU related.

8. Bernat

Bernat Registered

- Is there a lag between your real wheel and the virtual wheel?
    - Does the car show lag (reacts late) compared to the real wheel?
    - When your real wheel is steadily pointing straight, does the virtual wheel point off center?

9. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Map the ffb reset button in game options, press it when the problem happens, it can potentially solve the problem.

If doesn't work, you'll have to look to cpu usage.

10. Sanio Alfa

Sanio Alfa Registered

the solution to the problem will probably be this.
    https://cmlaserservice.com/index.html
    there are cheaper ones on ebay, aliex, etc., but these brass ones are the best. 30 or 60 holes are taken depending on which model you have g27, green box or blue