Fuel usage, tire change?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by me you, May 28, 2018.

1. me you

me you Registered

couple of quick quesitons-
    1: does slipstreaming help conserve fuel? I like to race about 15 laps, and usually the cars have enough fuel for 13 laps (I know i can change that- but would like to try to stretch fuel if possible)- but it seems like slipstreaming (and being able to back off on throttle some) doesn't do much for stretching the fuel?

2: A: How do i request like just getting only fuel from pits instead of tire changes too? Is there a way to request a certain amount of fuel? B: And how do you request a change of tire type like when it begins raining you want wet tires, not slicks?

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

prior to entering the pits, you press the pit menu key and that will bring up the box that shows fuel, tires damage, penalties etc. you have to navigate that while driving which can be tricky. Some users use voice command software to perform those tasks.
    use the up/down arrow to move to the appropriate line, then the left/right arrows to change the amount of fuel, or which tires to use, or repair damage.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@me you Fuel use is largely proportional to throttle position, so if you're in the slipstream and easing off the throttle you will save fuel. 'Lift and coast' may save as much again, but stretching from 13 to 15 laps is quite a margin. If you watch a Formula E race you'll see that sometimes on short straights they literally only accelerate for the first half - plus of course they're regenerating energy to help as well. Without electric power making a 15% fuel saving while maintaining competitive laptimes is very difficult.

4. me you

me you Registered

Thanks Folks- I'll check out that pit menu stuff- gonna assign a key on sterrign wheel to bring it up- I wasn't sure if i coudl stretch out 2 laps or not- I'll give the coastign a trry and see what happens

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I have one button assigned to LCD Menu. I'm not at my computer so that name might not be accurate.
    That will cycle through the different displays, damage, timing, pitstop setup etc.

I also have "Request Pitstop" assigned to a button.
    If you don't request the pitstop then the pitcrew won't be ready and the stop will take longer.
    If you have requested a stop and push the request button again it will cancel the request.

6. me you

me you Registered

Thank You- sounds liek a good strategy-

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I'm at the computer now.
    On the right side of the Controller page, select Display.
    LCD Mode is the one that cycles through the LCD 's eight or nine screens of the HUD MFD. (Heads Up Display, Multi Function Display.
    The LCD Up, Down, Increase and Decrease are used to change the Pit Display options.
    You can have a button assigned to display each of the MFD

The Driving tabs id where Pit Request can be found.
    When you have Pit Request assigned, the pit window opens and closes on each button push.

8. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

Just a note with regards to navigating the MFD menu for Pit stops (or any MFD). These can be navigated and manipulated when the game is Paused (assign Pause to a button). Makes life much easier. (this is the pause where the screen stops but no menu options appear).

9. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Save 2 entire laps of fuel is really hard, sometimes is possible sometimes no, it depends by the car + track. For example, from my last experience, the 12h Le Mans with Enduracers mod:

Full tank is 100l, average consumption per lap 5.1l, that mean a stint is 19 laps. We wanted to stretch the stints by 2 laps because at the end of the race is one pitstop less.
    With lift & coasting + short shifting + some slipstream when possible i was able to consume 4.9l per lap, so the difference is 0.2l, right?
    Well, to be able to save 1 lap of fuel i needed 24 laps @ 4.9l, which is impossible bacause a stint is 19 laps.
    The only way was to consume 4.7l per lap, but at this point i was 4 seconds slower, 4 seconds * 21 laps = 84 seconds, the time you spend during a pitstop, so it was possible, but not worth it.

McKiernan likes this.
  10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yeah it's hard to get that right, I think impossible in a big track like Le Mans.
    Once I saw an engineer of a P2 team back in ALMS days talking about how he had to keep making his drivers save 0.1 or 0.2 per lap to do one less stop in the whole race (Road Atlanta), this stuff works better with real lenght endurance races.
    Tho some mods can give a nice effect when running fuel 2x and depending on how much liters per second you get and how long the race is, personally I love when a mod allow you to go for one more or one less stop, but not many mods get this right.
    i.e a 70 minutes race where you can do 2 stops or save fuel and do only one.

11. me you

me you Registered

thank you very much folks- looks liek I'm gonna have to either increase fuel before start of race, or take a pit stop- I'll assign a button to pit and thanks for the pause suggestion- I can wait till I'm o n straight stretches and manipulate the keys ok- but the pause suggestion will make it much easier-