Fuel save

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fraser74, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Fraser74

Fraser74 Registered

I was just wondering how rfactor 2 calculates fuel usage, will short shifting and "lift and coast" save fuel in rfactor?

2. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Yes it will, makes a massive difference, i use it all of the time in racing, you can reduce the fuel burnt to cca half when short shifting and coarsing. Especially the higher gears short shifting as you are trying not to stick in high RPM for too long when saving fuel

3. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Can URD or BES have engine map? like reducing the rev limit on the go?

4. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I think URD only allows changing of the rev limit in the garage, not on-the-fly.

To answer OP, yes, lifting, coasting and short shifting is very effective.

5. Fraser74

Fraser74 Registered

I did use it in a race I run to save a lap but I wasn't sure if it work or my calculations were poor.

6. Fraser74

Fraser74 Registered

Thanks BTW

7. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

In a 60 minute race at silverstone last night in the URD eGT Ferrari car I saved about 7 liters using lift and coast :)

8. Dr.ProLamer

Dr.ProLamer Registered

Sorry for the noob question. But what exactly do you mean by short shifting and lifting, coasting?

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Shift earlier then normal (higher rev's makes the engine work harder) , lift throttle earlier (before braking) and generally coast your way like you was on a sunday ride with your nanny.

Saved me a few dnf's in championships :)

Btw, I think rf2 still has the tow-option. when you have completely run out of fuel but can manage to cross the line in the pitlane, the crew will drag you to the box for a pitstop. not 100% sure its still there but I think it is.

10. Dr.ProLamer

Dr.ProLamer Registered

Thank you,that will definitely help me :D

11. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

The coasting will save you the most fuel when perfromed at the end of fast streights, where you would be stuck in 6th gear in high RPM for quite long, lift from throttle 50ish m before the braking point and you will travel 50m wihout burning any fuel at all and still going 300km/h, at the braking point you will be cca 10-20km/h slower than you would be without coasting, so you can brake quite significantly later. That causes you not to loose THAT much time, if done properly and only on good places around track, it shoudnt cost you more than 1 sec a lap but saving you massive amout of fuel. You can see Lewis Hamilton doing it all the time, that is how he every single race has the lowest rate of fuel burnt of any driver, inluding Nico Rosberg, so he can push harder at the end of the race if needed.

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

After the Malaysian GP (or was it china?) the team told Hamilton to save fuel by lifting well before the braking zones and Lewis discovered it was actually giving him more momentum and faster apexes, he gained speed by lifting :)

13. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

A rather obvious but overlooked factor to think about it the speed difference when lifting and coasting.

Lifting at the end of the start finish straight at Estoril is a good example. Recently in a GT race I was lifting some 100 meters earlier but also breaking much later than the other drivers. This gives you two thing to think about.

1) How close is the guy behind you? Is he close enough to hit you while he keeps the throttle on for those 100 meters he is going to keep it floored while you're coasting?
    2) How close are you to the guy ahead of you? I was breaking 20-30 meters later than the guys who were going full race pace. This closed the gap more than my coasting lost.

I would highly recommend practicing such techniques actually in practice, in and around other drivers, but not in race until you're very comfortable.

If I am honest, It has taken me a full season of 60 minute races (9) in the URD GT cars and other races on iRacing (probably add another 9) to get to the stage where I can switch on and off a personal "fuel saving mode" and change my style.

It is very,very easy to coast and miss judge your altered, later breaking point making yourself run wide and lose time.

But once you nail it, when the race length justifies it, it is well worth it. I have won multiple races fuel saving and being sympathetic to my tires.