FSAE car build

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Fred Drury, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Fred Drury

Fred Drury Registered

This year, as a member of the University of Alberta's Formula SAE/Formula Student team, we have begun building a racing simulator with an old chassis and a mod for rFactor 2. I am starting this thread as a build log of getting the car in game.
    Fortunately, we have a very detailed Solidworks model to work from. Unfortunately the model has a crazy level of detail and close to 4 million polys :'( here is a render of the original:
    [​IMG]
    Over the past 2 days I have been removing washers, nuts, and bolts which didn't vastly improve the appearance of the car.
    For some body panels I was able to remove the interior faces as they shouldn't be visible in game:
    [​IMG]
    One somewhat painstaking task is converting all of the tubes on the car into cylinders:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After completing the above mentioned tasks, I will move onto editing components of the car either so that they line up better (due to removed hardware, errors in original model, etc.) and to reduce the poly count.
    I have a few midterms coming up but will hopefully be able to post more soon! I am totally new to this so happy to receive suggestions and feedback :)

Mauro and Jeferson Richart like this.
  2. KittX

KittX Registered

Honestly with that polycount I'm not sure it's even worth taking this model. Maybe only as a reference, to buld a game model upon it. Maybe good idea would be baking normal maps from all the engine components and other parts of this model so they can be re-used. Washers, nuts and bolts too could be rendered to the normal map, using the projection modifier, onto the car body mapping of a game model.

Fred Drury likes this.
  3. Leonardo Nogueira

Leonardo Nogueira Registered

Search for zbrush... it has a retopology perfect to re-create a high mesh in lowmesh and then create a normal map from the hi mesh!
    Another option is topogun!

Fred Drury likes this.
  4. Fred Drury

Fred Drury Registered

I've reconstructed and optimized so many parts I may as well be starting over haha. Down to ~300k polys now. I think I read somewhere that 70k is a good number to aim for? I am very new to this lol.
    I like the idea of the projection map, I'll have to check that out, thanks!

5. Fred Drury

Fred Drury Registered

I've heard about zbrush but never tried it before. I guess now is my chance haha. Thanks!

6. Leonardo Nogueira

Leonardo Nogueira Registered

TOPOGUN IS MORE EASY... ZBRUSH IS MORE COMPLETE!

Fred Drury likes this.
  7. Fred Drury

Fred Drury Registered

Cool, I might try that then. As much as I would love to be great at modelling and learn all the complex tools, given the amount of time I have, "easy" sounds great haha :)

8. Fred Drury

Fred Drury Registered

This diff hanger and assembly was beautifully modeled but is going to take a ton of reworking to get in game haha (currently 34k polys)
    [​IMG]