Friday Night... No one on rFactor 2? WTH?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kristoff Rand, May 5, 2012.

1. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Not all is reported. I still find issues, which are not mentioned. With every update, new issues arrise, and others are solved. Thats how beta testing goes (when releasing an open beta that is).
    The list you are refering to is mostly used internal, or with a closed beta it is available to all testers. Not in this case. ISI has to set priorities in what to fix first. There is massive work needed to attent to every problem, and instead of updating on statusses (which takes a lot of time as well), ISI has choosen to work on the issues instead of supplying statusses.

The remark about not being possible to run trouble free big races or leagues is nonsense. Like I said above, I have a league running now with no issues, and a grid of 25 to 30 people. Making a vmod takes 5 miutes, so it has nothing to do with time consuming, it's just not willing to do so, or not wanting to do so (which is a free choice offcourse). We have almost no issues during club races as well.

The one thing I can't deny is the fact that it is really heavy demanding. You need quite a good PC to have a decent FPS and grpahical quality. I hope that will improve in the near future.

It's the same in almost every discussion here on ISI forum. People have wrong expectations, and use the software for the wrong purposes. And next, they start blaiming ISI for their incompetence. Very unfair in my eyes. Mostly I stay out of those pointless discussions, but from time to time I can't resist saying how I think about it.

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I don't think so people doesn't racing rf2 because they blaming ISI for incompetence. Even if they (we, me) though that we get release version of rF2, we coped with this, but see no reason to use it in leagues. Moreover it is not our (administrator's) choice. We tried to organize some funraces but almost no one signed in. It's just people who doesn't want to use half-baked product.

And IMO it is wrong direction. Mostly because it costs nothing. I bet they are using some bug tracker (I'm quite sure I've heard it's Mantis). It would be enough to expose it to public. Then all reporters would see what happens with reported issues, how things move on etc. Without such kind of feedback people doesn't feel to be part of beta testing and loose interest. And I'm not surprised about it.

3. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Like said, you are describing a closed beta process. This is open beta. There is a difference.
    And it costs nothing? Any idea what the highest cost factor is for ANY company? It's personal costs (i.e. salary). We are not talking about a group of modders here, we are talking about professionals, who are paid to do this. ISI (the company I mean), needs to pay the guys. So, I can imagine (and would do the same myself) that they prefer to keep them working on issues, instead of telling others what they are doing.
    And last, with displaying a list, you create a expectance with people. Look at how people now already are moaning. And thats with an explenaition no one seems to read. Imagine what happens if they have a set back on working on an issue, and that would be visible to the crowd that comes to this forum. They would immidiately start flaming at ISI again. So, I can defo understand their choice to keep progress behind closed doors.

Try to look at it from their perspective as well, instead of only looking from your own ;)

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

My guess people are moaning because see no any progress (Tim has confirmed need to provide some info and it ends up on this). I believe it would change if they will be able to track status of the issues. Speed of developing is another case. but currently we have no idea about issues we reported.

You said that open beta and closed beta is different? Check Netbeans or MySQL development. Check betas for Toad Data Modeller (commercial stuff). Check open beta process of MS products. All those projects, doesn't matter commercial or open source provides some bug tracking for beta participants. I'm sure there is the reason to do that, otherwise they wouldn't do that.

5. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

The people who are moaning the most, are not the ones reporting the issues, but the ones that want to play a finished game :) They shouldnt have bought the BETA in the first place if you ask me (nothing personal, just my opinion).

It's a choice to have a bug reports list. Perhaps ISI will have one once the game goes gold. I don't know. But I respect (and understand) the choice ISI has made. Like said, I try to be happy with what I get, not with what I miss....

6. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Re +1 Marco lol

People complain and there is the way to go and confirm that we can be racing because on my server and probably one of R & D is running regularly, so do not ditent people there.
    You too demanding in my opinion, it is your right, go down that no ISI do a good job and that I support.
    It is a pity, it's a great simulation arrives.
    Wait...

7. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

My god man you are annoying. You are the proverbial 8 year old in the back seat saying "are we there yet". Maybe you should hang out at virtualr with the rest of the trolls. pCars has quite the hate following, perhaps it's time to start a massive rF2 hate group as well.

8. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

they should get a refund so I don't have to listen to them whine anymore.

9. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Maybe you should go away and don't f* into my conversation with somebody else?
    If you have nothing to say more than 'you are annoyed', then take fresh air, do some sport, hit a wall with fist... but do not disturb us any more, plz.

First of all, do not insult other people.
    Second, let me decide what I should or not.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2012
  10. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The rpoblem is, people who paid for the beta feel entitled to a finished, polished product. Even though we are getting 6 months online for free (so if you intend to buy rF2, this is- kind of- a free beta) some people still think "I paid $44, this is a finished game".

IMHO, ISI wouldn't have the outcry if we all got a free beta that expired June 1st, 2012 (6 months give or take from release). That way people think "free=free beta and buggy". Of course then ISI would be flooded with garbage feedback from people who just stumbled on the beta and the online servers would be full of drifters and the NFS crowd ("dude, this sucks... like driving on ice") and ISI wold pay a lot more in server costs as many more poeple (like an order of magnitude more) d/l the beta.

But this way not only is the quality of feedback better, but ISI (being a small company) can subsidize the development of the product (I'll gladly pay you Monday for a hamburger today) by selling it before it's done.

So bugs and all- I like rFactor 2. This is going to be my game for the next few years and I'm loving it. It's miles ahead of older sims and it's the first sim I've played that is truly next-gen in handling, force feedback and track dynamics- all the stuff that counts to sim racers.

ISI is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

11. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

help... my thread has been hijacked... it's a beta... quit bitchin. if you have a bug or a problem find the appropriate sub forum and make a post about. I really don't want to hear your whine in my thread.

12. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Sorry Kristoff, you are right. I appologize.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2012
  13. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

rF2 has a new proprietary purchase system and what better than a public test version in order to test its functionality?
    I agree that many people doesnt understand they "preordered" the software and not purchased a finished product, but an intensive testing of the purchase system is, in my opinion, a good thing to do. :)

Back to topic ... in Central Europe afternoon and evening i usually find people online, but, we know, can happen to join a desert lobby ... even with the old rF happened to have very few online users sometime, with rF2 we are talking of a product still not on the market (we are volunteers who got an unfinished test software just to help the development with our feedback) and is normal to my eyes the online people is not that large.

14. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I wasn't talking to you Marco... I meant the whiners.

15. Pits

Pits Registered

I smell bullying tactics everywhere here and some personal attacks by some who do indeed need to be more sensitive.
    I would also like to know if Marco (who speaks with seemed authority) does work for ISI, as for the thread being hi-jacked I'd say there have been more posts about non-thread related talk than the original.
    My point, and I do have one beit I'm a little angry after reading the last few posts, is.

People are allowed to say how there ISI experience is going, or not going without some dribble saying time after time ". it's a beta... quit bitchin", this lay'd back talk is just another means of distracting and bullying and I'd put a dollar ISI luv's you for it, keep up the good fight.

Ive spent along with others many hours trying to sort SLI to no avail, little or no input on huge amount of questions to them, unforgivable imo.
    Now that was a bitch, no need to point it out but you ISI slayers do get my goat up.
    I don't have a problem with RF2 my issue lays with the apologists who get in the way of us finding out what's going on.

I supposed I could write a one liner like ..

boring dude, that's more in keeping with the bus seating position.

16. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

@Pits,
    No, I do not work for ISI, and am in no way related to them. I am an race administrator on Racedepartment.com, who simply understands and supports the choice ISI has made. From time to time, I cant resist to confront people with the fact that they project their own mistakes on ISI. Now please get back on topic now as requested by the thread starter. If you want, we can continue this discussion somewhere else, but open a fresh topic for it, and let's stop poluting Kristoffs question.

@Kristoff,
    Perhaps the quality of the online races matter a bit as well? I have tried and watched a few publics this weekend, and must admit that what I saw and experienced did not motivate me to come back. Unrespectfuill driving, bumping people off for no reason and in totally avoidable situations also does not help in getting the races popular.

There are a few servers out there who seem to be the most popular (in publics that is). Mostly, when I look online (EU times), there are people racing around. Sometimes it's only a handfull, but often there are 15-20 people in the most busy server. Perhaps you just had bad luck friday?