Framerate throttling only in rFactor 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ForthRight, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

This is something I've noticed for a while (just an observation) and I've always wondered why it happened, so I thought I would finally post a thread about it to see if anyone else has the same 'issue' (I'm not sure if it even is an issue, it might be perfectly normal).

Here's what I'm referring to..

If I load up games such as Arma 3, Skyrim etc and just stand and look out across the map (without moving) the framerate is rock solid stable - in other words if it says 48fps it will stay at 48fps until I start moving around again. This is what I would expect to happen in a game (assuming there are no AI characters in view as I know that could affect the framerate).

With rFactor 2 this is quite different. If I load up a track with no AI and just sit in the pits the framerate goes up and down all the time, with a variant of around 15fps. So the framerate might have a minimum of 90fps and a maximum of 105fps but it will constantly climb and fall between this range whilst just sitting in the pits.

Is this normal? And if it is (or perhaps more importantly if it isn't) does anyone have any idea what might be causing it?

At first I thought it might be the clouds or possible future weather being loaded, so I made sure the weather was set to constantly clear. Then I thought it might be the dynamic 'time of day', so I made that static too - neither of these things made any difference.

My processor is 3570k overclocked to 4.2Ghz using a minus 'offset' to keep the voltage and temps as low as possible. I started to wonder if the processor wasn't getting enough power and was therefore throttling down repeatedly, so I tried a temporary high manual voltage but again it made no difference. Plus if that had been the issue surely Arma 3 would be having the same framerate problem?

I've given up trying to solve the mystery myself, so that's where you come in! ;)

Could it be that rFactor 2 just isn't 'pushing' the processor as much as it should be, and as a result the processor is automatically cutting performance (due to SpeedStep Tech etc) because it doesn't think constant max power is required?

I'd be grateful if anyone could offer an explanation, or at least if someone could confirm that they've seen the same thing.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
  2. Miro

Miro Registered

Sitting in the pits on my side the FPS are steady.
    Maybe you have some background process running but then again the FPS would jump up and down in other games too, no?

3. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Have you set 0 AI or just private practice?

4. G.Bird

G.Bird Registered

When you say just sitting in the pits do you mean when you click race or when you are looking at the driver list in the pits
    if its the latter I think its normal as this happens to me I put it down to power saving as my gpu usage drops to around half
    that when in full screen when I click race it go's back up to more or less full gpu usage.

5. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

When I've clicked race and I'm actually in-game (ready to drive out of the pits). I can even drive around and stop somewhere else on track - the same thing happens then. It is definitely set to 0 AI, and private practice as well.

I get the impression this isn't a normal problem to have in rFactor 2.

I don't have anything running in the background (I'm very strict about what I have installed on my PC), and as you say - that would cause other games to do the same thing.