FR3.5 "pulls to left" and "takes off on downhill transition", oh and wobble...

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Simon Peace, May 29, 2012.

1. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

I have three observations.

Recently been doing some testing with the new build 85. I have built a straight track 3000 m long. At one mile (1609 m) i have put in a 1 : 10 hill going down, with a fillet radius transition of 10 m. I have varied the "normalisation" of the lofting line from 1m to 10m and also used several different segment counts across the track section.

I start my run with the limiter on and in 6th gear, so as not to produce any wheel spin. note I am not using a steering wheel on the machine that I test with. The FR3.5 always "pulls to the left" on the flat surface, and this doesn't seem to change much with different segmentation of the track (higher vs lower density).

With some configurations of the track segmentation, I get horrendous jumping of the car as if it is bumping down a cobbled street! (this seems to be related to track width segmentation rather than length segmentation?!?)

When (if!) I can get to the hill, the FR3.5 is doing over 160mph and when it reaches the hill transission "takes off"... I have been involved in real aero cars and I don't believe this is correct behaviour for the FR3.5 at that kind of speed... It should be absolutely nailed to the road.

I put the wing settings up to maximum, and this "improved" the takeoff of the car (i.e. slightly less), however it still left the track and performed it's signature nose lift.

Also, if you remember crashes like Webber at Monaco and Patrese at Hungary (i think, it was a Williams) both those cars go pretty much in a straight line with no rotation of the car until it hits the ground or pitwall or whatever. With build 85 the car does rotate and do funny movements that are not natural whilst in the air.