FPS loss at night.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Nov 29, 2018.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I saw pretty much the same near 50% loss of fps when racing at night but ONLY when my headlights were shining on another car. Once the car directly in front of me pulled into the pits the fps began to climb. Eventually the average was about 15 to 20% less than regular daytime driving.
    Just an FYI for the devs.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I wonder whether this is linked to the Rain Shaders, what was your Rain Graphical setting at when this loss occurred?

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

upload_2018-11-29_0-22-37.png I'll have to check, but this was a clear night, if that matters. Most items set pretty low. I get about 124fps avg in daytime. Upper 90's for the avg at night after the track cleared out some. (Apex GT3 mod with 20 AI). although the fps was much lower at night, it was still smooth onscreen and driving didn't seem compromised.
    I'll head to Nola this weekend and see if S397 cars produce similar numbers.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

No it doesn't unfortunately as the Rain Shaders are loaded regardless of Weather, with Rain Effects OFF they're not loaded and have proven to be a significant performance increase in "dry" weather for some people, but then of course when it does Rain you don't get the cool effects/graphics of course. That's why it led me to think of this when you mentioned the car pulling into the Pits :)

5. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Didnt know about the rain shaders. I also get worse performance at night. Thought lights cant do much to crap on fps since they dont cast shadows, but its probably just me not knowing how these things work, lol. Thought the lights in rf2 is sort of a texture just changing brightness where they are "cast". But i avoid night even tho it looks great. However i havent tested with my new pc so maybe its better now. Will have to check it out.