FOV Calculator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Mar 29, 2012.

1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Here is a video I made three years ago. The exact same replay of a Bathurst lap at two different FOV's.

The severity of the corners is more obvious with a low fov as well as a more realistic distance judgement time.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Awesome vid man, really shows the difference. I couldn't drive with such a low fov though. Maybe that's why I suck. Lol

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

For anyone concerned with situational awareness I made this to show where you would see a car beside you with several FOV's.

[​IMG]

Only with a ridiculous 90° Horizontal FOV do you see the car on the left and even still you don't see a car on your right at all.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

When I went from a stock-ish FOV (mid 50s to low 60s) to around 30 or so I was frustrated, wow what a joke this low FOV B.S. is, I couldn't drive like before, braking points, the way I used the wheel throughout the corner, everything just felt messed. Immediately went back to my previous high FOV.....

When going back to the high FOV I then realized just how artificial it all felt. Undulations felt so much flatter and less steep, turns that were supposed to be sharp felt so much straighter, I couldn't see all the details of the track and trackside objects because everything was so small and zoomed out, Other than the fact that I was used to it, it was a much less immersive and realistic experience. For a laugh I tried a FOV of like 10 at Monaco, OMG the barriers actually felt like they were higher than me and my car, it was insanely immersive and real. From then in I swore to force myself to get used to a low FOV.

My plan? Only decrease it by 3 or 4, then once I can match my best laptimes before and I just generally race at that FOV for a day, maybe 2, maybe 3, then I drop it by another 3 or 4. Then spend a few days again at that FOV and also making sure to match your best laptimes, then again drop FOV by another 3 or 4, and repeat process., and repeat, and repeat.

The perfect FOV for my setup is about 17, so I told myself that until I get triple screens that I would stop the decreasing process at about 35, and once I got triples I would stop at 25 (slightly higher than perfect FOV to keep a bit of peripheral vision). Well that didn't last, I was so addicted to the amazingness of the world "opening up" to me the lower the FOV I went that I ended up at 27 FOV while still on single screen. Im currently at 25 with triples and will propbably be going down to 20 or so.

You will neverrrrrrrrrr go back. Just have patience and do it slowly over a few months period as I explained above.

The lower FOV has brought some "psychological" things into the equation that would affect you in real-life as well, I never felt this real-life similiarity with the high FOV though. It has to do with the braking point, how it always looks like you are much closer to the corner than you really are the lower the FOV you use I experienced this phenomenon in real life, it's what made it hard for me to brake later for 3 specific corners on the track. Then I would walk the track and the distances looked so long and I would convince myself there was so much more room to brake later, then I'd get back in the car and approaching the turn at full speed all the distances agaim looked shrinked and squished/compressed and that would mess with me and I could never brake as late as I knew I could. I experienced this with a real low FOV in the sims as well, just like in real life, where as with a high/stock FOV I never experienced this tricky but realistic phenomenon.

Also with the lower FOV a turn isnt just a simple curve, you see all the details of the curvature of the bend, it's almost like the fidelity of the corner increases. Also, you can be more precise because everything is bigger and more realistic. Also, because turns look sharper, and combined with the braking point psychologicso phenomenon thing I explained above, you tend to under-drive and over slow for corners much more, and much more like real life, and then you build the speed lap by lap, unlike with the high FOVs where you tend to way over-drive the corners (even to the point of loosing control, going off, or crashing) way more often because you tend to just fly into corners right off the bat and then you're sliding and understeering and spinning and crashing because you are driving it more in a typical video-game fashion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  5. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Wrong

I wouldn't mind the squish as long as it looks just the same as in real life.
    At the end of the day that's what we all want,reality :D

6. 2tyred

2tyred Registered

I should probably point out that the FOV setting in RF2 is vertical, not horizontal, just so people don't get confused.
    (For example on a 16:9 aspect ratio, a 30 degree vertical FOV will give a 2*atan(tan(30/2)*16/9) = 50.9419751299614321083 degree horizontal FOV).

Also, 90 degrees on a single screen is going to give you huge amounts of rectilinear distortion!

7. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Right. ;)

The track layout does not change , your braking points (physical position on the track) should not change. If your braking reference is where a trackside object disappears off the edge of your screen you may need to pick another with a different FOV but the position on track where you brake for a corner should be the same.

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Good tips on the gradual change Spinelli, thanks.

@zeos. For me it's about sense of speed and car placement rather than where other cars are around me.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Spinelli,

Great post on how you can adapt to something different, given time, and observations regarding real vs sim driving. There are too many people who change FOV for 5 mins and say "I don't like it because ...", and for that matter too many people who are a fan of one sim, try another for '5 mins' and say "I don't like it because ...". It really does take time to adjust, unfortunately some people just can't grasp what that actually means. Same goes for sim hardware (wheels and pedals), steering lock, FOV, etc...

Calculating proper FOV gives you what you would see in real life, without the benefit of 3d for better depth perception (unless you have a 3d setup, obviously) and generally with quite a small window into the game world. The whole point of calculating correct FOV is that objects will appear the same to you as they would in reality (size, position) but for a lot of people that reality would involve driving around with all their windows blocked except for a rectangle in front of them.

The 'squish' is only in comparison to higher FOV, and the fact most people are more ready to accept the unrealistic perspective of high FOV is a testament to our ability to adapt.

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

What is really interesting Lazza is the fact that there are so many sims out there that won't even let you adjust down to a correct FOV. Simbin's Race 07 is a prime example. The lowest FOV that you can set in that sim is 40, not even close to what I need with my setup. At least rF2 allows me to set proper vFOV.

11. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

If only fov adjustment and cockpit representation on screen was two diferent adjustments, i would be happy.

I cannot use the same fov i use to Eve f1 and Sparks (29) in others mods (modern f1 are the worst because the size of my steering wheel, IRL, simply doesn´t match at all with the size of cockpit representation on screen in game. It looks like i´m inside of a high tech bathtub wthi wheels).

12. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Well adjusting your eye level may help. I find a LOT of seat adjustment helps get you in the right spot.

13. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ble-in-game-and-saved-separately-for-each-car

I think both ISI and modders are not using standard sizes to cockpit from one mod to another.

When i find my phone i will take pictures from my steering wheel using cockpit view and with same fov and putting seat all back in diferent mods so i can explain my opinion with visuals and not just only my poor english.

edit: btw, low fovs increase lag on steering wheel? anyone tryied to run at fov=10?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014
  14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, I suppose you'd need to adjust your in-game seat position and tilt in order to match your setup, though it would take a lot of tweaking and in some cases probably wouldn't be possible at all.

If I sit in my real car I can put my palm on top of the steering wheel, sideways, and still see the road 50m in front of me. If you did the same in most open-wheelers you'd not only be blocking your view of the road, but some of the sky as well. So trying to match those two situations to your own physical wheel position, while trying to make the cockpit look the correct height, is going to be impossible without moving your physical wheel or your screen(s).

The best compromise is probably to get the cockpit correct and just put up with the fact your wheel is lower than it should be. At least that way you're viewing the road from the correct height.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

that wouldn't make sense, there's only 1 world, the cockpit, track, buildings in the background, etc. are all part of that 1 and only world.

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

@Lazza: setting up your view compared to what you see in your real car might not be the most accurate. Remember, these cars are representing purpose built race cars which tend to have the driver a little bit lower for the coupe's and a lot lower in the formula cars, at least the modern ones. In the F2 2012, it is difficult to see much road directly ahead of you do to this setup.

@Spinelli: I think I understand what Jerry Luis is trying to say. He wants to be able to adjust the scale of the dash as well as the FOV. This way he gets everything to appear right and then can make the dash either look like he is sitting in a full sized Cadillac or a Mini depending on what he wants.

17. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Close enough Gearjammer, thanks for summarizing.

@spinelli,
    1 world, a thousand of modders
    If some of then is not using real scaled model or does not use same range of seat adjustment, i cannot use same fov when changing mod. It is worse with some conversions made till now.

And is not happen only with bad modders or bad conversions. Again: i will post pictures to explain better when found my phone.

18. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Well look. Your in game FOV should stay the same all the time unless you move your monitors around physically.

If you change it per vehicle it doesn't make sense unless you have an over-expectation of what you would think you will see.. Like GearJammer said every race car is different. In some you can hardly see the road and in others the dash and gauges are WAY down below you or in your face.. You don't really get to choose what you look out upon since basic eye position and Horizon line (seat pitch) in all cars will be the same and your FOV will be the same for you because it is attached to your real desk and not the car. Ideally we would slide our monitors around and it would automatically adjust the "window" to make the best use of what we want to see. The bigger the window/your monitor the more you see.

Remember this Window?

[​IMG]

Here is what I was able to accomplish at the Lan I went to 2 years ago. I had the opportunity to put my "window" way down behind my wheel.

[​IMG]

And since I was blocking parts of it with the G27 motor I could setup my eyes ingame and the angle in real-life to the monitor correctly and see dash gauges like this..

[​IMG]

BUT at home I don't use that up-side down 25" tv as my normal monitor..

[​IMG]

So I can't possibly get that same view with the gauges. Period. Unless I am willing to get a huge flat screen and slam it behind my wheel up side down I have to live with what I can see out of my very high 22" window.

19. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Do you agree that cockpit and track should be at same scale to the math works? (track view will be like monitors are just frames and the image represents the real size of track path and objects and if cockpit is corrected scaled it will automatically matches with your physic steering wheel)

Even you don´t agree with me, i will post pics later.

20. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Btw, not always (in fact it should be rare) the virtual steering wheel should be match exactly the size with your actual steering wheel.

Especially on historics and some classics, but if a mod uses a steering wheel which is the same size of my wheel ieg (g27), if i turn steering wheel view on, on screen it should appears larger then my steering wheel because on screen it represents on screen the size as "how big it appears to me" in real world.

I think i´m talking the same thing as you but can´t express myself good. Sry.