Formula Renault 3.5 FFB

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by jeffers, May 16, 2017.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I also have a bodnar V2 53

Getting exact same thing as Jeffers is describing

I'm currently putting together a
    sensible .Json file and now thank goodness I'm almost there with fantastic results
    -it works very nicely across all the different sim cars I've tested apart from the 3.5. -strange reversed inertia in corners

2. Nicolas Pailhes

Nicolas Pailhes Registered

Same problem with bodnar v2 53

Adrianstealth likes this.
  3. LokiD

LokiD Registered

but the FR and the F2 has always felt like this? this is the issue ive always had with rf2 ffb. its better in most cars now..

hardly any aligning torque in fast or slow corners without boosting ffb to 2.0 or something!..or the magic caster ifx..

Chris Kemp likes this.
  4. jeffers

jeffers Registered

Having done some research the real-life FR3.5 apparently exhibited a light feeling in the steering column in slow corners while the forces dramatically increased in the high-speed corners due to the vast downforce it produces. Beforehand my Bodnar replicated this extremely well, but there is defo something not quite right now. Like Adrian says there's now a reversed inertia that certainly wasn't apparent before.

5. LokiD

LokiD Registered

again try caster ☺

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

There's no way a car should reverse force its inertia when cornering

At least no conceivable mechanical way that I can work out

7. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

As I read it, you are both using a Bodnar wheels and having the same issue, wich could be a problem of car+hardware. On my DFGT it is behaving normal and FFB works as it should ;)

FuzzyFassbender likes this.
  8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Yes think your right , I thought that maybe are systems are not jumbling the effects as retail wheel perhaps do , but few with fanatic wheels seem to be reporting same

9. Nicolas Pailhes

Nicolas Pailhes Registered

It works very well with the old version. Now the formula 3.5 is unplayable. In turns the FFB is reversed so the angle caster will not make disappear this feeling. I have not tested the Honda civic but it seems that there is the same problem with soft tires.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The Civic v1.3 had the same issue with the MEDIUM tires. They are the default tire. Changing to Softs brought back the proper ffb. In that thread, it appears the medium tire is the new CPM while the soft compound still has the old tire.
    Using my old as dirt Logitech G27, I had to turn up the ffb in the controls to get the feel back from the tires. I haven't settled yet on a value but it was up at least around 1.78ish

11. LokiD

LokiD Registered

didnt feel any difference with the civic tyres lol

suppose I'm not feeling the reversed ffb on the FR either. just feels like it always has...

patchedupdemon likes this.
  12. Jego

Jego Registered

First of all, make sure you have the correct version of the car selected.
    When you join an online server it will most certainly be running the old version.

The new version is 1.6 and you need to subscribe to it from the workshop and then select the correct version in rFactor.
    (You can notice that you are on the correct version, when you are still on DX9 the lights on the steering wheel will be very dim and on DX11 they shouldn't be that bright any more)

I just tried the new version on the Barcelona circuit and had a race there with the old version yesterday. So I have direct comparison.
    What I noticed was that the in the Car Selection Tuning setup page you can now select the Roll Center.

Now regarding the FFB, it has changed slightly. (I have a t300 and optimal settings are now multiplier 1,33)
    What is most noticeable for me is that when you go through fast corners, and your tires are overheating, your FFB will get lighter because you are loosing grip. This is very noticeable on the default setup, if you reduce the front and rear roll bar quite a lot you will have more grip and this effect will be less, since you have more grip.
    The car now feels much more alive through slow corner sections where there is now downforce. Those corners used to be super tricky with this car because the steering FFB was almost 0.
    Overall I like the update, it is now more noticeable when the car is starting to oversteer and it is much more enjoyable when there is no downforce pressing the car down.
    For this quick run I used the default setup and only slightly softened the Roll Bars and increased the Caster to have more grip in the high speed corners.

13. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

I raced the FR3.5 extensively in the past few months.
    I felt the FFB being light at low speed and heavy at high speeds in a car with a huge amount of downforce to make sense.
    I know a certain Alien who complained about the low speed FFB being uncommunicative when he first drove the car and he cranked up the FFB to compensate.
    I gave the 3.5 a quick go yesterday and immediately felt that the FFB at low speeds was much stronger communicating bumps you previously would not feel.
    I have to admit I did not test the high speed FFB because the reason I did the quick test is to evaluate if the biggest vice of this car has been fixed and, well, it hasn't.
    Namely a tendency to rotate and spin out suddenly over some invisible bump in certain corners of various tracks, mostly at very low speeds.
    From the tracks I raced at last season they are:
    Turn 7 at Barcelona (pretty bad)
    Turn 4 (undriveable) and turn 9 at Sepang
    Turn 16 at Sochi
    Last chicane at Spa, especially the first part of it but also the exit.
    These are corners you cannot go into at racing speeds because the car will suddenly spin out as if the rear is no longer in contact with the track and you have to tip-toe around them.

jeffers and patchedupdemon like this.
  14. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Turn four a Monza is like that too

Christos Segkounas likes this.
  15. jeffers

jeffers Registered

Your assessment of the FFB at low speeds appears to tie in with the feeling me and Adrian are feeling i.e. a stronger sense of FFB. Can I ask what wheel you are using, as it doesn't seem to be affecting certain wheels according to some feedback.

16. Christos Segkounas

My wheel is a T150 Force Feedback, pretty basic.

17. jeffers

jeffers Registered

Ah ok. Well at least we know its possibly affecting a variety of wheels.

18. Christos Segkounas

I should make clear I have fallen back to DX9 for my racing, I did not take into account DX11 into this conversation because physics and graphical environment are two different things and,in any case, the DX9 FR3.5 received the physics update as well.
    As I am intrigued by this I will be doing more testing later on to evaluate the high speed performance of the car compared to what I had grown accustomed to.

19. LokiD

LokiD Registered

yeah i always thought the ffb got lighter due to overheating but isn't this effect maybe too overdone?

patchedupdemon likes this.
  20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

IMO overheating has nothing to do with commented behaviour. As I showed in Civic thread, all tires except medium ones have similar FFB. Hence grip itself shouldn't be a real problem here. What we do know is that tires showing odd behaviour have changed contact patch model.

When tires overheat, the maximum available grip is reduced but the fact that you are taking a high speed turn implies that you still have a significant lateral force to permit the car taking the turn.

Given a lateral tire force (the car cannot take a turn at a given speed without it), a change in FFB can only be expected if pneumatic trail varies.

It would be great to read three lines of the devs confirming or denying the reported issues regarding updated Civic and F35. After so much speculation I thought that when I proved that medium tires were odd for the Civic, we would readily see a confirmation of the issue and some words regarding the fix provided that a hotfix might not be straightforward.

We only ask for three lines providing some certainty? IS THAT SO MUCH ASKING?