Formula ISI seat position

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by argo0, Jun 30, 2013.

1. argo0

argo0 Registered

Hi
    Just tried the Formula ISI for the first time since the update, at Silverstone of course, and found the seat position too high even at its lowest. Feels like I've got my whole head and neck poking out the top of the cockpit or I'm 8 feet tall! I expect that the real seating position is lower but I've never sat in one of course.
    Either way, I can only move the seat down to -40 so can we please have a greater range of seat movement? Thanks.

2. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

The eyes of the drivers are actually quite well above the "bonet" .. say 5 cm, which is easily set-able ingame

Altho it of course differs with each driver and car

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That is really weird, cause right out of the box it seems very much spot on.
    [​IMG]

No need to lower it anymore cause then you'll have a driver without a neck. Note the position of the mirrors in comparison to eye-level :)

4. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

As far as i know, its not the eye-level the mirrors shoud be possitioend, i mean the reflection in them, the mirrors on race cars are only good to know if there is someone just behind you to let you know if you can go into corner or not, so they are pointed pretty much very into the road (again, as far as i know) And i already did say in history i would like to have mirrors adjustable, but i got answered that you can do it somewhere in some config, but thats not good enough for me, it shoud be in menu, same with each car shoud have seat positioning individually, not the current state where you change your seat in one car and it changes in every

5. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

The eyes are in level with the mirrors in the exact image you posted :)

From the 2013 regulations pdf:
    [​IMG]

I couldn't discover a ruling on the height of the mirrors, but it's probably that placement of the drivers head in sort of a fixed position due to safety dictates them to be where they are.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2013
  6. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

ye i meant the reflection , as i said

7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

You can adjust the mirrors easily with control+ seating positions controls :)

8. argo0

argo0 Registered

On the subject of forward/backward seat position, this is my seat position in the Marussia at +165 forward and -10 down

View attachment 8499

I have my seat forward because in between my G27 and the 32" TV there's an 20" gap. This means, in my interpretation, that all I should see, with my 30 FOV, is the front of the monocoque and possibly a little bit of the front wheels. The wheel is in my living room! Its not also 3 feet in front of me.

On the subject of up/down seat position, I'd just like a greater range so I can match the Marussia seat position that I use. Obviously no one has to use a certain value, I'd just like the range increased a bit. I can have the seat position that I want in the Marussia currently, so I'd like to match it in the Formula ISI.

edit - actually, I've just changed my seat in Marussia to +260 forward and -10 down. I'm always trying to get the view correct, in my opinion at least, in all the cars. Often changing.

View attachment 8500

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2013
  9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

That is way to high, gessus you can see over the dash lol .......said so first hours of release somewhere but hardly anyone had downloaded it because they need to be held by the hand to find anything......lol ........ and no one even responded. p

Sorry ISI you stuffed this one no doubt, looks like Grid2

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

We need a neck pivot ajustment, that would solve it (chin moving up & down so look angle changes )

11. jiffymarker

jiffymarker Registered

We have that already in the PLR. "Cockpit Cam Pitch"
    FWIW, mine's at 3.000000, default is 0.0000000

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Jiffy -big thanks for that, I'll take a look

13. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Instead of following popular opinion, I like to use first hand experience. The last time I sat in a comparable openwheeler chassis, this is pretty much what I saw. I believe that counts for more than just guesswork, this is really very close to what I experienced as far as position goes, that is a fact. The big difference sadly is the FOV, I haven't seen a single setting that gives you the feeling of being 'in there', being on a single screen doesn't help either...

This is interesting, I always have the feeling something perspective wise is a bit off, is the driver actually looking down??? If so, why the heck would that be a standard setting. Is the value of 3 a dead ahead setting or is it an estimate? Can someone from ISI reply?

It is very probable that the seat position needs to come down indeed if the driver is actually looking down. The concept of that is really silly in an openwheeler :p

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

The Grid2 was sarcasm hehehe

Fisi v1.00 was a bit snugger, couple inches lower.

Off Topic: 1960s bugs me if you sit about the right height you can't see the right end of tacho. doh

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Actually DD, in the historics, the driver sat a bit higher which makes it even worse to see the tach. This is not an issue for the historic drivers though as they tended to drive by ear instead of by sight for shifting.

16. MJP

MJP Registered

The cam pitch is set in the CAM file for the car, the Seat Pitch setting in the PLR overrides the CAM setting.

Most of the CAM files seem to have the view looking down slightly, the CAM files seem to be in radians whereas the PLR setting is in degrees.

Taking the FISIr the CAM value is -0.02 radians (-ve means pitched forwards) so the PLR must be set to a +ve value to bring the view up. Unless my maths fails me a setting of Seat Pitch="1.146" in the PLR should bring the view up level.

17. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks MJP, Ill definitely try that, very curious though why the driver is looking down even if it is slightly.

18. Hazi

Hazi Registered

I use +7 or +8 on the pitch parameter and also use 35 FOV and seat forward - don`t understand why so many use the seat so far back - your wheel is at your desk/cockpit and no need for a second one - it`s like sitting in the back of the car - and btw. you can change FOV on the fly now during driving if you map the controls in config - did not see that before :eek:

PS: Using Nvidia 3D Vision on an 40`TV which is 30 cm behind my wheel rim.

19. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

A small monitor on a desk sadly doesn't give you much to work with...

20. blakboks

blakboks Registered

The whole point of a cockpit cam is to replicate what the eyes actually see. Therefore, the camera should be positioned directly between where your eyes would be if you were sitting in the car. A proper adjustment of your FOV and pitch should yield a view that is correct--as if you were looking out a (2D) window that was magically limiting your vision in the car. There've been several threads about this subject already.

It sounds like most people's issue with the camera being so far back is the "projection plane" so-to-speak. The in-game camera will render things that are in-fact closer to you than the screen is (i.e. the steering wheel), but they're being projected onto the flat screen, so they still seem like they're as far away as your screen is, just really large.

In conclusion: Oculus Rift :p