Formula car era "love to see in the game"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodee, Jul 9, 2021.

?

Formula car era "love to see in the game"?

1. 1930s

8.2%
  2. 1940s

4.9%
  3. 1950s

11.5%
  4. 1960s

24.6%
  5. 1970s

32.8%
  6. 1980s

37.7%
  7. 1990s

37.7%
  8. 2000s

26.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

Probably the asr one. Idk, asr physics always feel a bit weird or off to me
    Btw everyone always brings up the 412t2 whe talking about 90s ferraris but imho the 94 t1 just looks a lot better especially with the nose looking smoother. Sidepod and back I think just looks overall a bit better.

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I was wondering why you are so fixated on looks. Then I looked at thread title again :D

Yes you are right, earlier model was just way nicer. I think Jordans were exceptionally beautiful. I also love the looks of Ferrari 312T4. Alfa Romeo 308C is super nice. Lancia D50. Brabham BT52 is super beautiful and outstanding.

Looking at how real one moved around is good data enough to me :D But of course the more real data just makes everything better.

FORMULAEFAN71 likes this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@Sim_Player I think most of us feel the same way. However, to be realistic is something simracer should always try :D

And I think it is unrealistic to expect that for some particular cars there will ever be available that much data, some may have only little bit. And thats when thinking about official developers who communicates with manufacturers, gets licenses and has access to more information than any modder will ever do, with unlikely exceptions.

If we would fixate on data too much, then we would probably only should have extremely few car items to begin with, and almost anything classic gets immediately obsolete. Which I don't think is worth it.

I think ability of skilled, experienced and knowledgeable and talented physics maker to guesstimate and interpolate unknown values in between some known set points should be appreciated as well, even if that would never be as good as data, but it could possibly come close enough, at least to my standard. I just try to be realistic, and I don't expect 100% same thing in simulation, but IMO 80-90% percent in a sim like rF2 is possible without data. Over 90% would probably be possible by some super talented physics guy, if there wouldn't be all data there easy to interpret and all that would be left to do just type in numbers into physics parameters. Last but not least, even with havign all data, which is only possible in dreams, there would still be some software limitations and also possible some typo or some slight wrong interpretation of data, or some inaccuracy of data itself... So IMO guesstimation, interpolation by logic using references and lots of observing of anything possible to notice is equally important as data, and even more so. Thats where real work is done when making cars physics sets for simulation software.

Lets be realistic :D

Sim_Player likes this.
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes, and as much as I know, the most likely stuff for developer to solve and where there is most likely to be lack of data, is parameters at the areas where car is not intended to work. For example car is not intended to drift excessively, but rather drive more like on rails with minimal slip. So there will most likely be lack of data what happens with tire when it gets when it gets massively overdriven. I hope perhaps S397 acquired some good stuff in collaboration with Goodyear, because new tires feel pretty great IMO. Another question would be old tires such as those used on F1 in 90s, or any other decade. Then there goes aerodynamics, which perhaps is easier, assuming CFD simulation can be used and providing realistic results, but I guess it gets complicated too, since there should be used multiple models with different aerodynamic bodies positions modeled in accurately...

Sim_Player likes this.
  5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I am not sure, I think rF2 aero simulation is quite above AC. Should probably look at it again, but I remember there aren't that many parameters in AC to adjust various aero effects as in rF2. Not sure about ACC. I think Kunos are awesome sim devs, but they are even more awesome at marketing.

Sim_Player likes this.
  6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

STAY ON TOPIC :D

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

8. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

You and me both! I thought I was the only one (or one of a few) that could not enjoy the ASR mods. I love their (free) cars and have always downloaded updates, but every time I try them, I just can't get around the weird feeling long enough to enjoy playing. I can only describe it as too much roll (side-to-side roll), which does not seem to belong in these kinds of cars. I welcome the body roll on street cars, GT4 or GT3 even, but on F1 cars, I thought that was an odd sensation. I would hit a bump and would have to deal with the ensuring roll oscillations on the other side of the bump. Also a bit too much grip for my liking, but maybe that's how they are IRL.

FORMULAEFAN71 and Nieubermesch like this.