formula 3.5 2014 assetto corsa vs rfactor 2 version

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eltidi, Aug 12, 2015.

1. eltidi

eltidi Registered

Has anybody tried this new mod? how does it compare with the rfactor 2 version which is by far one of my favorite sim cars.

2. matf1

matf1 Registered

I've put in several hours in it. The team should be congratulated because it is some very nice work.
    The sounds are impressive, but more so for the dynamic range. rf2 has that certain throatiness, so a combo of the two would be ideal.
    The feedback they suggest is also very nice, but that is as far as I can take that statement.

Without expert analysis, I'd find it hard to explain if the issues are with the customised pacejka model they use, or if it is simply the maturity of the physics engine.
    Essentially it is on the extreme edge, where these cars live that the mod fails, so perhaps not a mod issue but rather the engine behind it.

3. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

i think it's very entretaining, the sounds are awesome, it's a very entretaining mod.
    I raced against the AI yesterday 100% in a 10 lap race@monza, started 6th, finished 7th, set the fastest time on the race... but unable to catch the AI guy before me.
    I feel that the tire grip (or sensation) on turns is more real on RF2 mode.. or at least i like it better.

4. Minibull

Minibull Member

I've just been trying some races at Silverstone as a good comparison. It's a very well done mod, if I was on their forums it would be a big congrats to them. Honestly, this is one of the fist cars I've had a bunch of fun blatting around in.

The sounds, I have no difference from inside to outside/rear sounds. Also there aren't the distinctive bangs on gearshifts and really loud crackles on overrun. The internal sound should have more "induction roar" to it, that thrumming sound you get in the rF2 version. Your head is sitting right under the intake after all. The idle sound seems to low, or to "slow", if you get what I mean.

With their tweaks for feedback, it's a lot better than the standard settings I'd always had. I tend to leave all my sims as bog standard, no ini tweaking. Cool to see them include that.
    There is still just a weird feel to the car and the driving though. The brakes feel very forgiving, in that I can run deep into a corner with them still on and the car seems to stay pretty still. It's what I feel with AC, I never feel like I'm getting "feedback" to the inputs, be it visual or with the wheel (bar sound, thats all we have). In rF2 I can get a sense of easing the brake on mid corner and I can feel that in the wheel, and then see the car react, that weight transfer feeling. I haven't been able to find that in AC yet, here's hoping.

The AI were terrible at Silverstone, this is at 100% which left me sad as I couldn't make them faster. At the end of 5 laps, I was going 5 seconds quicker than them each lap. I was doing 45's, they were doing 50's.They set almost dead on the same laps the whole sprint.
    The starts were...yeah...bad. It took many many goes for the AI to allow me to pass the first lap unscathed. They also had trouble with a few of the corners, going way to slow/off line or not understanding how much grip they had in reserve. When they seperated a bit, their driving seemed fine, but just not fast enough. I dunno how their AI system works, so I dunno if it's the mod or the track files.

When you sit still, the front wheels wobble up and down, dunno why XD. I also think the default config should be the high downforce model. I remember someone saying they only ever run low downforce at places like Monza.

I can't be arsed scouring the model for issues, it looked good from what I saw. Blurry text on the side of the cockpit was all that stood out.

I really wish I could describe that missing detail in the driving. Things are really good, it drives very nicely and not all mega grip or anything like that, but things sometimes just feel very...stationary. With the same car in rF2 I feel I can influence it so much with my pedals and wheel, get the car to do different things depending on what I want and blend all in between the different things. With the 3.5 in AC it just feels like I have a bunch of "states". I'm gripping, everything is steady, I'm understeering, things are steady and I'm pushing out, I'm trail braking and the nose pushes inwards or I'm oversteering, and it goes into a "slide" state.

It may have been you, MattF1, a while back I think we were having a similar discussion. The idea of dancing with the car. It never felt like I was "dancing" with the car. I can't balance the thing in that micro slide, that super grippy but sliding state, like I somehow don't have control over it fully. More time is needed I'm sure, maybe there is setup stuff (even though I always use default) that could change things around. Really hoping for brake pressure increase, never felt like I was on edge going into corners XD

BUT! By far the best open wheeler in AC. For me, it is the best. I am actually interested to put some more hours in now. And it's free, great work by a cool modding team. With more feedback and all that jazz, it could be awesome. Then maybe Kunos could get a license for the thing and integrate it as part of AC for real haha :D

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The Formula Renault 2014 in rFactor 2 is my favorite car in the sim despite it not being in the latest tire model, and despite my wheel not being able to transmit FFB while cornering slowly. Yet, somehow, in a sim where I have far less parameters to adjust (including missing brake pressure), and with a FFB system that maybe only feels good to Logitech wheel owners, this car can bring the driving pleasure of the rF2 one plus allow me to somewhat feel the road in AC... something that only a couple of cars can do and most of stock content lacks.

This is the best AC mod and superior to the 1998 McLaren and even Mazda 787B.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The thing with the ISI engine is, although it feels the most alive, complex, and overall definitely the best in the industry, it's too easy to bring the car to that dancing edge. The physics too easily want to oversteer or understeer, they too easily want to be in a state of some sort of slide while in real life you can rely on much more pure, outright tyre/mechanical grip and you therefore really need to push the car before it get's into that sensitive-to-driver-inputs, dancing-on-the-edge state.

Going to do a comparison of these two cars tonight.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Lotus 49 in AC and F1 Eve No Wing at Monza ......................

All she wrote.

:p

Bah 4 years this debate I knew first laps in AC and pCars they would never be rF2 to "drive"

Pain as the nose on ya face.

( but all people do for 4 years is say " Oh they ( other sims ) are doing new builds , new tyres new FFB update, improving all the time.................... yadda yadda yadda

.......................BS then BS now lol )

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'm well impressed about the appearance of the cars, beautifully made, great job by the modders.

That said, knowing the limitations of the AC engine, I'm simply not going to bother with this mod.
    I can't bear to see 8 or 9 consecutive race starts ruined by the AI.
    I can't bear the way the AC physics engine makes high downforce cars feel like... urgh, there are no words to describe it.

AC is such a damn mess these days, I'm amazed there are still people who are genuinely enthusiastic about it.
    Good on them, I guess. :)

9. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  10. bwana

bwana Registered

Hadnt driven AC in a while, tried downloading and installing this mod but game wont start, tried 10 times nup. thought Id go online. good field. 25 or so , qualed in 2nd cars felt better and ffb than 8 months ago or so but nothing startling . leading after 5 laps , get taken out by pole sitter, rammed ffs. what a joke.spat the dummy.. uninstalled.

11. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Speak English man lol.. Never understand anything this guy says :)

12. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I sense an opportunity to post a little overtake in the ISI FR 3.5 I managed.:cool:
    The other car and I had been fighting for several laps, he had a slight off and I had to strike before his surface tyre temps recovered.
    This is what I call dancing on the edge.

13. emha76

emha76 Registered

14. tjc

tjc Registered

15. Domi

Domi Registered

16. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Also if you enable free cam, you can put the cam anywhere you want and it follows the car where you leave it.

Awesome mod.

17. tjc

tjc Registered

Ahh ok, cheers guys. :)

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

lol

You just don't want to admit that the pCars Lotus is a arcade pussy car compared to the rF2 Eve.

TRY THE @ COBRAS omg if u can't tell "wots wot " I suggest you give up.

After all, this is just another BS compare thread

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I like it...Some of the points below (regardless of whether it's a positive or negative point), I feel, are more to do with the AC/RF2 physics engine itself rather than a per-car physics thing...

Force Feedback:

- The FFB is lively which is what I like.

- I find it gets very light way too early into front slip. Instead of slowly getting light at the touch of slip and then getting lighter and lighter as/if you slip more, it just almost instantly goes into instant and constant "light mode" which also leads to the same thing happening upon re-grip (as the slip angle lessens). I'm not using any of the in-game FFB effects sliders. It reminds me of when I tune RF1/SCE/R3E/R07/GTL/GTR2 etc. FFB settings in the controller file and I way overdo 2 or 3 specific FFB settings regarding front tyre slip which leads to the FFB being very digital and on/off.

- The FFB also seems like it wants my wheel to output max torque quite early on, as if it goes from no torque to max torque way too early with respect to how much I turn my wheel. I lowered it to 80% (in-pits overall FFB) which helped but makes everything lower down feel even lighter which makes the front-end FFB issue (previous point) even worse.

- There's a quite heavy buzzing feeling going on. I don't know if it's some sort of road FFB or vibration effect due to engine revs or something but it contributes a lot to the car's overall FFB feeling very "noisy" however that also adds more life to the FFB which can be fun but I think it feels quite artificially obtrusive.

Vehicle Dynamics (more important than FFB):

- I find the car lively and fun

- It can be quite sensitive to your control inputs which is good

- I feel like the depth of the vehicle dynamics aren't on rFactor 2's level but still quite good no doubt about it.

- The front seems a little digital in how it slips and regrips where as the RF2 version seems more organic

- The rear can sometimes feel digital in how it slips and re-grips (see "Going into and out of slip/grip conditions" below), but on the other hand the way the oversteer behaves once in a state of slip (see "Vehicle behavior once in a state of slip" below) seems slightly more natural than the RF2 version. I further explain this below.

Going into and out of slip/grip conditions
    On one hand, the RF2 version get's into it's slip and grip states more naturally and organic whereas the AC version feels more like the physics engine says "OK, now go into rear-tyre-slip mode", "OK, now go into big rear-tyre-slip mode", "OK now go into full rear-tyre-grip mode", etc. In AC, it's almost like different states of physics modes or "scripted" states of physics modes get activated/deactivated based on what the car is about to do whereas in RF2 it seems like there are no "modes" of physics states (just like with the front-end) but rather just a single highly dynamic state of physics.

Vehicle behavior once in a state of slip
    On the other hand, once in a state of rear slip, I think the AC version behaves a bit more natural (a physics engine thing rather than a per-vehicle thing). The way the vehicle travels in relation to the slip angle seems more natural like how a real vehicle behaves the mass majority of the time. The vehicle in AC keeps it's momentum up more while the rear tries to swing around (oversteer) whereas in RF2, the car's momentum wants to suddenly vanish and start heading into a new trajectory wherever the front-end points to. AC and RF2 are still not even close enough to where they should be in this crucial area of car behavior & control that we all love to experience in-game as-well as in real-life. Live For Speed is still king here; it's highly superior and the only one which resembles real-life physics...

Live For Speed: I hardly play Live For Speed; I'm not the biggest fan of it's overall driving dynamics, and even less so of it's FFB which I find quite bland with not much happening and not much information coming to me. In-fact, I drive LFS almost purely by visual feel rather than FFB; and even so, the way you slide and correct cars in that sim, the way the vehicle behaves under these types of conditions - whether it's an unexpected snap-oversteer, an induced oversteer from slipping the rears under exit, some little oversteer moments under braking (rear lock-ups), whether it's a 450 HP GP2/FR3.5 type car, an 800 HP F1 car, etc., - beats every other sim, EASILY.

As a whole, I enjoy AC and especially RF2 better than LFS as they feel more complex and deep to drive, not to mention that the FFB in both absolutely murders LFS, but in terms of vehicle behavior during oversteer states - whether it's snap oversteer or a not-so-snap oversteer - nothing still comes close to LFS and real-life, and that's sad :(

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
  20. Travis

Travis Registered