Formula 1979 100% Distance Season (offline)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodee, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

For weeks now I have been trying to organise my 100% distance Formula 1979 season 2. I have big plans which include multiple cameras, views from track side, auto director while I race and live team signings.

Will be streaming live on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/woodeetv

I have setup a few RPG elements to deal with new team signings to get my new driving contract. What team will I be driving? Probably not a Ferrari or McLaren ;) Depends how the team negotiations go. I may expand on that in this thread or another in due course if others want to use it or build on what I have thought of.

To make it authentic, when I schedule the races I will have a qualifying Saturday and a race on Sunday. All races will have realtime weather and broadcast overlays.

These plans are however hampered by still waiting for my new PC to be built and sent to me (BOOOO!). It needs a two PC setup to achieve what I want. No idea when this will be so I am testing tracks in the meantime as my Grand Prix replacements for every country (Streamed live in VR).

I have tested all the way up to round 11 of the 15 round season and setup online polls. This is where YOU come in. I am leaving my final track choice for each round up to YOU! Round 1 (Argentine GP) only has 1 track available so the voting starts at round 2 in Brazil.

What tracks will you choose?
    • Round 1 - Argentine GP - Buenos Aires
    • Round 2 - Brazilian GP - Jacarapagua 1988
    • Round 3 - South African GP - Kyalami 1976
    • Round 4 - United States (West) GP - strawpoll.com/ajp9uq2ex
    • Round 5 - Spanish GP - strawpoll.com/uuyju9vfo

This weekend's streaming I will be testing my candidates for the Dutch, Italian, Canadian and USA (East) Grand Prix.

Last edited: May 13, 2021 at 4:46 PM
    atomed, Rui Santos and GeraArg like this.
  2. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

When this will start? Do you have a web page or something?

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I'll be streaming live on Twitch.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Added poll for Round 3 - South African GP!

I'm still waiting for my new PC to be delivered before I can start the season. I will be testing the remaining US East GP candidates on stream today!

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Added poll for Round 4 - United States (West) GP (deadline 15th May)

I am nearly done testing all my track candidates for this season. I just got word that my new PC build is about 2-3 weeks away so my season is nearly here!!

Just compiling the team contract battle, I mean interview to get me my drive for the season. Will post here about it when I am done tweaking.

Last edited: May 13, 2021 at 4:48 PM
  6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Team Interview (encounter based loosely on DnD stats and rolls)

Firstly I just made a level 1 character on www.dndbeyond.com which I had to roll for some basic stats (not all of these will come into play, see below).
    [​IMG]

From there I narrow down the stats needed for this "battle". The modifiers don't really come into play. I figured that in a contract signing you may use Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma to get your drive. In DnD these stats can also refer to Athletics, Insight, Investigation and Persuasion.
    [​IMG]

I picked the 1979 F1 mod as my test for this system as I was going to do my 100% season 2. So off to wikipedia I went for names and drivers!!
    [​IMG]

These are the teams from the 1979 season (not all represented in the mod I was later to find out). As a start on performance I ordered them on finishing position that season (I could technically have done that from 1978 but I guessed not all teams would appear so I simplified it).

What do the columns mean?
    A/D
    - In dice rolls this means Advantage or Disadvantage. If you have Advantage you roll 2 x D20 dice and take the highest value from the 2 rolls. Disadvantage is the opposite, you take the lower value of the two rolls. If it is neither then it is just 1 dice roll.

DC - Does apply here yet (stands for difficulty of a challenge, you need to beat this value to pass a skill check.

HP - Health Points - first one to reach zero will lose. Team and driver has this.

AC - Armour class - In one round the the driver would have to beat this value on a D20 dice roll to "hit" the team. Higher the AC, harder to hit. The driver has this stats also.

Dice - Is the dice used for each attack if the driver gets above the AC. The driver has this also... thought that this could increase depending on finishing position in the season ("leveling up?").

The difficulty scales so that it would be easier to get a team driver lower in the order, but getting a Ferrari drive would be damn near impossible.

The actual interview ("fight")
    [​IMG]

I thought it was easier to setup a spreadsheet to track stats. I populated the stats from the team and the driver to use in the "fight". The yellow cells are the damage dealt to team and driver each round. On every spreadsheet refresh the team and driver will roll to "attack". I looked at this like a conversation back and forth.

The Team Rebaque team chosen in this example, they will roll at disadvantage against me (B6). I will roll at advantage against them (B28).

Is this round they rolled twice and took the lower, 4 (D13) and didn't meet my AC (B30) so they missed. I rolled twice and took the higher 11 (D17) so I hit for 2 (B18) rolling a D4 dice (B31).

Because the team missed I have the option to heal using my stats. The team rolled against my stats and if they don't get the value or higher then I heal 1 HP (B20). Total heal this round was 2 (D25) which can't go beyond my current maximum HP of 13 (B29). Kind of the equivalent of knocking the interview out of the park when asked questions using these skills.

That is basically it.... first to reach 0 HP will lose the interview. If I win I can suppose I have the choice to take the contract for the upcoming season.

Additional Ideas
    I had more ideas on how I might incorporate RPG elements to mid season to but I have not implemented those yet.

These include:
    Driver performance surpassing or going below team expectations. This could play into whether you get re-signed for the upcoming season. A top team might expect you to finish in the top 5 every race and your reputation may go down within the team in the season if you fail to reach that target or end up with a DNF. A lower order team may have lower expectations. They may just want a finish in the top 20 every race. This could be like an XP system (reputation) gaining experience within a team. If you finished the season in the positive with a team... there could maybe be a bonus +1 or +2 to each roll against them when negotiating next season's contract. The opposite if you finish with negative reputation, there could be a penalty -1 or -2 to each roll.

After the finish of the season, finishing position may determine a level up in HP and AC, not currently gone through this though.

Last edited: May 10, 2021 at 2:31 PM
    atomed likes this.
  7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Added poll for round 5 - Spanish GP (closes 17th May).

Brazilian GP voted Jacarapagua 1988.
    South African GP voted Kyalami 1976.