For those that Run rFactor2 in Leagues or are Considering it

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by hoser70, Jan 9, 2013.

?

What race format do you prefer?

1. Current 90 Minute Race every other Saturday

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Two - 30 minute races every other Saturday

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. Other (Please reply with your suggestion)

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

I have a question for you and a poll above.

Our league (www.finelineracing.net) is currently hosting a new series running every other week. It consists of one 90 minute race in the Meganes. 90 minutes is a long race, but those that keep their cars on track and are consistent for 90 minutes are rewarded with top finishes.

Our first race saw only one retirement. Our 2nd race saw over half the field retire with either mechanical or internet problems.

Before rFactor2, our league used to run various cars, but always ran a weekly (Saturday) event, consisting of two - 30 minute races with the field reversed in the 2nd race from the finishing results of the first. This proved to be a fun format and if you wrecked your car in the first race, you had a 2nd race to atone for it. ;-)

So going forward, I would invite you to submit your vote and opinion on the racing format you prefer or would prefer in a league environment. In terms of www.finelineracing.net, we will consider all options and continue to improve on our rFactor2 series.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
  2. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

If you already established that two 30min races is a fun format...if it ain't broke, don't fix it... :)

3. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

I don't like to eat the same lunch every day - variety is the spice of life. ;-)

Our current format is attracting good numbers - - that's not the issue.

Thanks though Abriel - - appreciate the feedback.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I voted for option one but its for sundays :)

Not sure what you are trying to get out of this thread but i'll share some of our formats and why.

we run 2 championships each season and each week we run champ.1 and the next week champ.2 and then back to 1 again.

We used to have a single race of 40+ laps in one championship but in the other 2 races, sprint and feature, say 10 laps and 20 laps.

the sprint/feature thing was fun indeed but we found out that people where driving differently in such a format, they tend to take more risk, try to win in the first laps and are in a hurry to beat others. essentialy the short races became more like a pickup race. quick agressive bursts from start to finish.
    In the 1-race championship this was not the case, people knew it was a long ride, better be more secure etc. more tactical driving as well, do you pit or not, which tires, you name it.

Last season in 2012 we removed the 2-race format and both championships had 1 race per event and i must admit, it works much better this way. people are generaly more patient and forgiving and this translates in better/safer driving which translates in more finishes and more happy members :)

It all depends on how serious everything is of course, but for us the difference was quite obvious which also showed in our statistics and steward reports.
    Also having 1 race free's up the admins, they can actualy practise themselfes, dont have to grid-edit or juggle arround with several xml files and combining them. stewards dont have to review 2 races. much smoother across the board.

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Additionaly, i like these kinda threads and we dont have nearly enough of them. Leagues should be more open about what they do, so much people that need to re-invent the wheel and so much ideas and creativeness that does not get shared.

6. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Thanks Denstjiro - - just seeing what folks like to do. Good input there - - thank you.

7. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

two 30 minuts on saturday.

I have a life outside LOL

But my friend and I were training for like 2 months and i gotta say:

We`re fast...really, REALLY FAST! :p

We r acctualy looking for some league to race into.

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

Like above, I'd have to agree with the way the longer race makes the drivers behave. To be told to go easy on the first couple of laps and settle in is easier to handle, as you have many laps to regain any minor loss at the start. Plus pitstops, etc.
    If you are doing 15-20 odd laps, that is a wee bit of the race lost so you will go for it early on, pitstops may not be too useful, etc.

Plus the feeling of finishing a longer race is nicer...XD

No reason not to spice it up though, with some interesting stuff. It could be seen as a different driver skill, running in a sprint race.

There is an FLR race coming up at Mills in the Megane. You should check out the server and lay down some laps :)

9. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Saturdays imposible to me. I like the combination of 30 min races and 90 min race.

10. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

The long race helped me in our last one Bull... ;-)

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

UUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGG Yeah yeah, I shoulda finished that with my 22 second lead intact. Stupid brain. XD

Still uh, 2 racing incidents in getting that result for you....;) lol

12. Fergy

Fergy Registered

The idea of long races is great but it really depends on the skill level of the group. At SR4L in our fun race series we have been running 3x20 minute races and given the fact that most accidents happen in the first few lap it's giving guys a second chance and at the end of the night you've done an hours racing. I think building the confidence and skill level up your race client as a group is important.

13. Axly

Axly Registered

other is my choice, simply because saturdays are not an option for me (or most others in my League).

We're driving a Mégane League since the meganes are almost identical to the Swedish tta touring car championships. Every other wednesday at 9 pm we let our families care for themselves and drive 2 x 40 minute races. This way we need to do pit stops, the races are not too short, and not too Long.

i'd Do a Poll with the potential drivers in the league, after all, they're the Ones driving ;)

14. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

I`ve already favorited the site, gonna check tomorow!

Millis! \o/ Its gonna be like racing real fast race KARTS! :D

15. Matt Bradley

Matt Bradley Registered

I like the 90 min race gives me more reason to focus on setup and practice. you could mix things up other ways like weather (if its a reliable feature?) and give us a weather report of sorts before hand. either way I've been having fun so far

16. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

I seemed to be in the middle of everything the first couple of laps, LOL!

17. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

No shame in polling here - - you never know who might see this and join up... ;-) Thanks for your input though.

18. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

I do plan on running real weather where and whenever possible Matt. That's if it's a real track with a weather station near bye. Definitely will make things interesting once ISI as their weather system down.

19. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Come on in - - the more the merrier ... ;-)