For The Love Of rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vegaguy5555, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

NSX & Corvette are basically TPA models, so I believe only dev time was for tires & packaging. [edit: and ultrachassis]

Cobra gets used by leagues in historic racing with the racing tires & helmeted driver. Not so much the street version. Racing versions of street cars in those days had pretty much the same spring rates as the street cars did; main difference was tires & engine work.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    vegaguy5555 likes this.
  2. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Wow!

Interesting point of view! Is this the general consensus of everyone??

I find the newer racing cars boring myself but I'm willing to try. I find the right frame of mind can have a huge effect on how much I can get into the physics of any particular car.

I like street cars because I have a better idea of what is right or not. Newer race cars are also harder to feel braking points for me. I have to do many repetitive laps to drive a newer race car to the limit where a street car or older race car can be pushed hard on the first lap.

I guess there is more meat and potatoes for me in the older cars. A new F1 in rF2 or AC feel the same to me. I fine VR is a big help with these cars.

One other point, AC has a bigger market. Is partly because of the good selection of street car??

I think with comparable graphics and street cars, with rF2's tire and frame flex physics, should give AC a good run I would think!

3. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Well, i would prefer having more street cars. Street cars is the only reason why i sometimes play AC. If those cars were in rf2 that would be perfect sim for me.

softslider and vegaguy5555 like this.
  4. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Just noticed an update tweak in AC (1.13.3) so I thought I'd have a look. Drove the Cobra on Nordschleife. Lets just say the video I made of AC is very kind. For me AC is so far off I can't believe this is what it is for everyone else. I will not except anything less than the physics as good as rF2, what ever cars they have.

Maybe ISI needs to change for DLC. Car and Laser scaned tracks?

5. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

That's actually the interesting thing: on paper a F40 around a laser scanned Monza sounds and looks more exciting at first glance compared to an ugly looking Panoz Roadster around a fantasy track and that's the thing that will make it a marketing hit for sure. But the more I think about my experience with those cars, the more I have to say that I would take the Panoz around Toban any day if I had to make a choice. Monza is one of my most favorite tracks, but only with fast racecars that need a low downforce setup around it. And the F40 is a pretty boring car to drive on it's own.

Anyway, the thing that made AC a success are the licences, nice visuals and the easier accesibility. That's the stuff that sells a sim these days. But if this isn't fun for people liking roadcars, then I don't know:

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  6. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I personally drive the road cars in rf2 A LOT. When I come home from work and I just want to chill out and drive for fun, a soft and floaty road car that is happy to hold some pretty crazy slip angles is more relaxing that an edgy racing car for me.

I am a car enthusiast first, and a racing enthusiast a (very close) second. Both in sim and real life, I love getting into a car and testing it's limits, regardless of whether it's an all wheel drive turbo beast, or a front wheel drive hatchback (provided it is a manual!). I see simulators as a way I can drive cars that I will never get to drive in RL. I spend most of my time in sim testing a cars limits and learning how to exploit it's handling characteristics, rather than actually racing. I don't really worry about lap time either - I would rather do smooth and consistent laps and pretend like it's real life, than saw at the wheel furiously for a faster time.

I don't see why road cars are any less credible than racing cars as far as content goes - yes rf2 is a 'racing simulator', but it is also a driving simulator. Many performance cars these days are designed for the track in mind and are extremely competent, they're basically racing cars that can be used on the road. So why not throw in a few when it would widen the appeal of the game and add to the fun factor? I understand there is licencing to work around, but I'm sure they could bring in a few more obscure brands, and it would serve as a point of difference from the road content in AC.

vegaguy5555, softslider and Korva7 like this.
  7. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

The F40 in AC is kind of boring but the F40 in rF2 with tire and frame flex physics would be insane like the Cobra is now.

Oh please Studio-397, give us the F40. This is something I would pay for in DLC!!:)

Korva7 likes this.
  8. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I think that if there was even one or two of the exotic kind of supercars in rf2, that would get some new people to buy rf2. Now there is none of those, so that's a big minus for the car nuts (like me) to whom getting the access to try the cars, about which they have read and watched a ton of videos about, is a big thing.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    vegaguy5555 likes this.
  9. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I can't agree with you more!!

Going back three years ago when I first bought rF2 because I was looking for the closest thing to real driving experience I could find and the second most important thing was street car selection, which AC had. Graphics was up there too.

But now I refuse to drive a sim without minimum physics level of rF2, I don't think anything out there comes close to it. Maybe AC is but I can't get it to work and when I tried asking for help I get my thread locked out by Aris. Their fix is 'I just don't know how to drive'!! That's why I'm making all these videos. It's kind of strange I have no problem driving a real car or rF2 but I forget how to drive when in Assetto Corsa??

But yes, three years ago I got detracted by all of AC's street cars for sure.... and graphics.

I hope this big update will attract more street car moders!!

Korva7 likes this.
  10. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Personaly, I am not that much of a fan of roadcars in sims, as I have more the urge to drive stuff that I will certainly never get my hands on. So the stuff that is far harder to reach, like F1 cars (historic or modern) is far more interesting for me. Next to the fact that I have a sweetspot for 90's CART racing, as I have a lot of nice/and not so nice childhood memories connected to CART and Champcar. And that's basicly the reason why a roadcar like the F40 doesn't tiggle me one bit. If I had to make a choice for a roadcar in a sim, it would propably be a historic one from the 50's or 60's or stuff like the BMW M1. The Procar, wich is one of my favorite sports cars - is in allmost every game, but not the road legal version. But even an official Procar series from Studio 397 would be nuts. Imagine that sound, with those physics :D

11. dylbie

dylbie Registered

I've been saying this for about 2 years now... rF2 needs more street cars, and more importantly more street tyres so modders can make street cars themselves.

So far I've released 5 street cars, but I have a ton more that I just don't have the time to finish at the moment.

I can kind of understand why people aren't interested in having street cars in rF2, but please guys try to understand our point of view: rFactor2 has the best physics/tyres of ANY sim. So for us purists who want those physics, but are also into driving street cars at tracks, we are massively limited.

Imagine it the other way around... If rFactor2 ONLY had street cars and NO race cars. You guys would be crying out for someone to make race cars in the sim to exploit those physics.

12. Depco

Depco Registered

IF this were the case I would not be playing rF2 at all... Nor would most of the people currently playing it, I imagine.

Guimengo likes this.
  13. bwana

bwana Registered

ohhh ,official Zandvort , that will be a new love. :)

14. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Yor reinforce my point that if there are more street cars, more people will play the game.

Korva7 likes this.
  15. stonec

stonec Registered

Not really much use with street cars in rF2 if the content continues to be produced at ISI rate (2-3 cars per year), there is just not enough of a base to build on. The Panoz Roadster is a good example as it's about the only street car in rF2 that ISI built themselves and I can say almost certainly that nobody today drives it. It was fun for a couple of laps, but it feels totally out of place in this game. If S397 wants to make the content somewhat less all over the place, which seems to be their plan, then they better just focus on race series.

16. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Well hopefully s397 will produce cars with a bit faster pace than ISI did. Imo Panoz is great car and i still drive it once in awhile, but that's not exactly what kind of street cars i would want s397 to make now. What rf2 doesn't have yet is supercars, and i think it would make sense business wise also to make atleast one of them. By supercars i mean cars like Mclaren F1, Pagani Zonda, Porche Carrera GT, Maserati MC12, Koenigsegg One:1, Lexux LFA, Noble M600...

I understand that this might not be the most interesting thing for people on this forum, but that's because the people who has this kind of interests has not buyed the rf2 yet.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017