Flat-spotting: S397 please include option to disable this!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rapala, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Unfortunately the flatspots (in FFB) aren't an effect and can't be dampened separately. Now, whether the game has, or needs to have, some extra FFB controls to help damp FFB output (including flatspots), is another matter.

2. Rolf Berge

Rolf Berge Registered

I agree. I have driven a race car on track and had alot of lockup and sliding, did not shake the car to death after. So this is just annoying and you get it to easy in many cars. If you can't make an option to disable it then make an option to dampen the ffb effect.

3. Andregee

Andregee Registered

It depends of the tyres in rFactor2 like in real live. The softer the tyre the easier to get flatspots. There are so many tyres on the market, that the experience with race car is not a reference, You can filter the effect with the smoothing filter.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Old's tire model have a lot easier flatspot.

Frankly, for me with the new tire model there is no problem, it seems consistent.

It depends a lot on your driving and choose hard tires if you have too much flatspot.

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Recently locking and flatspots became very much easier to deal, and is not annoying at all anymore, even if get killer flatspot. If you want even more comfort, I guess you came from arcade lands.

6. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

If I flatspot a tyre, my csw makes so much noise vibrating that it wakes up my kids. I don’t want that. So a flatspot for me is basically a DNF.

Rolf Berge likes this.
  7. Rolf Berge

Rolf Berge Registered

I have a second small rig with a gear driven system and that shake and make so much noise that i worry the thing will fall apart.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There is an option to somewhat damp the FFB effects in general, which is FFB smoothing. There can't be an option to damp flatspot vibrations, because they are part of the tyre modelling - not separate. (the FFB reflects the physics, so you can't change the FFB without changing the physics)

You can also reduce overall FFB strength. Setting steering torque sensitivity to a lower value (<1.0) should also help reduce flatspot shaking on straights (where overall force is low), though it may also increase the effect during cornering. The opposite applies for values >1.0.

For offline play you can reduce the tyre wear rate, or turn tyre wear off completely, and avoid flatspots. A server admin might do the same of course.

DrivingFast likes this.
  9. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Or turn abs on.

10. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Yes if you have too much flatspot, it is probably that the driving must be improved (braking)

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Not all cars have ABS ;)

12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Those who complain about flatspots rattling, I wonder if you have even played recently ? To me flatspots has became like 4-6 times lesser through FFB.

13. Martin Dyrlund

Martin Dyrlund Registered

I still feel flatspots with my osw. According to motec I am not locking any wheels, so who knows what it is. Sometimes running over some coarser road can dampen it somehow, and yes I use ffb smoothing. It feels like it has alot to do with tyre pressures, as soon as they have build up no matter how slow you drive, you get flatspots.

14. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Not exacty ;)

All the new S397 official cars of these ~3 last years have trends in the flatspot that seem realistic to me.

Nevertheless, many people use obsolete content in terms of physics (tire models ....).

In this case, excessive flatspot is logical on some cars.

15. Rolf Berge

Rolf Berge Registered

Well i just drive my other sims so i don't have to deal with this and it is an aging sim anyway and not many use it anymore.

16. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

But you can still turn it on from the settings. It's not realistic, but it's an option if someone wants to do it.

17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I was just driving Gasoline Alley "60s Indy" by ISI which seems to never have been updated, and it was same story, I was purposely making ridiculous flatspots, and it didn't got truly bad, just mild effect.

And what is realistic ? Have you ever drove with unbalanced tire at over 140 km/h ? I have. And it didn't even have a scrubbed off thread, it was just unbalanced.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yes true :)

19. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I think gasoline have very very hard tyres.

At the time when I practiced ultra intensive sports train driving (20000 km), I had many flatspot more or less important.

I remember that I felt it very strongly in the steering wheel, while it was not a very informative direction.

But despite this intensive experience, I can not be sure that the flatspots on the new tire model is realistic, I can only suppose.

And indeed, I suppose.

Edit :

Sorry for bad traduction.

20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yeah, logical about hard tires. But same is with Howston Dissenter or Camaro GT3. Makes me think that flatspotting levels are hardcoded and does not rely directly with tire model. Well if not about how flatspots form, then about where the strength of effect tops in force feedback.

DrivingFast likes this.