First track problems

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Medison, May 14, 2016.

1. Medison

Medison Registered

Hello everyone.

All starts for me from the desire to create my local race track. I choosed rF2 for this. For last few weeks i read and saw a plenty of tutorials but unfortunately i can not run my first track in rF2 yet.
    As basic i used this tutorial: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/24669-A-Dummies-Guide-to-creating-a-track-in-RF2-with-3dsMax
    For track creating i choosed 3ds Max 2011 with rF2 plugins.

I tried a lot of different methods but still can not load my track in rF2. Now i am getting the error: "Error getting stats for texture SWHEEL_TRACKMAP.DDSError loading rexture SWHEEL_TRACKMAP for material SECTORMAT."
    I dont know will it help to understand my problem but i can load any other track without a problem also i can load my track (GMT) in Viewer and gJED without errors.

Dont know why but I could not attach my track to forum message so i uploaded it to: http://rgho.st/8mB7MCQmv
    I didn't included "Joesville_Maps" folder into archive which is just a renamed copy of "Maps" folder from Joesville track in order to save the file size.

Would anyone be so kind to check what is the problem and help me to figure it out?

A few more questions:
    1) Do i understand right, that i need to archive my files in *.mas files and then in *.rfcmp (and making unistall/install plugin) every time i made any changes in track?
    Becouse i tried just to copy track folder in Locations main folder (without istallation rfcmp) but i didnt see track in the rF2.

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Looks like your timing lines (XSector) are calling the swheel_trackmap texture. You can either change the material of the timing lines to use another, existing texture, or you could create a dummy swheel_trackmap.dds.

1) If you're developing a track, you should use Mod Dev mode from the SDK. When you want to use the track ingame, you do need to create a component.

3. Medison

Medison Registered

Thank you for your reply. You was right. This is because of mistake in tutorial: "6.c. Open the folder that you renamed in last step and delete all files but the .GDB and .SCN ones..."
    Exactly In this folder was "swheel_trackmap.dds" file but i deleted it. Now i returned it and loading comes almost to 70% but then unfortunatelly the game crashes with standard windows error application screen. Because of this i cant understand what could be wrong. Can you help with any suggestions?

1) I installed ModDev SDK, but may be couldn't understand how to use it. There are two folders BIn32/Bin64 but i can't run any exe from it. Error: "No mod files or installed mods found. Unable to continue"
    It would be very helpful if you advise me (or give link on manual) how to use this mode because it takes a lot of time to create a new component *mas and *rfcmp)and do again uninstall/install process every time i want to try another version of track in test run.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Press the "devmod" icon on the bottom left of the launcher. Tracks in moddev mode go here: "rFactor 2\ModDev\Locations"

5. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

As woodee said

Build your entire file structure in moddec/locations folder.
    Then you can just run moddev to test it

View attachment 19978

6. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

The crashing at loadup maybe because you havent applied all mapping for the shaders you are using.

Ie realroad shader may have no mapping for one of the UV channels

It could be a naming thing in your scene file.

I tried downloading your file above to check, but the download link just keeps re-opening the download page.. (So i cannot get it)

7. Medison

Medison Registered

Woodee and Drathuu
    I am sure that i have the right folder structure but i didnt see any devmod icon in the launcher. Can you make a screenshot with it?

Drathuu
    I really didn't do any mapping. Only add a texture to the road as in this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4yvp_fnrqk
    Is there is any tutorial for mapping or UV channels?

I uploaded archive to google disk, can you try to download it from there?
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2u771R-hAeoRGh2OExvVEFKU0k/view?usp=sharing

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

9. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

10. andreaglass

andreaglass Registered

11. Comairis

Comairis Registered

If you could get a mod like Wheel Map working I would definitely want it and even pay for it. I have tried all the Trackmaps and Dynhuds in my rFactor 2 game and none of them work properly...ie get Trackmap V0.96 working but can not move the elements to were I want them. I havn't a clue what you guys are talking about but I will follow this threat for sure. Keep working at it please..all I gave doumloaded so far is the PSD file which is totally useless. Wish I could help you Medison but all I can do is cheer you on your work. Remember there is nothing out there for a trackmap in rFactor 2.