First impression of new UI not good

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by F2kSel, Sep 5, 2020.

1. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

I've not been here for a long time so I was keen to try the new UI and it wasn't great. Sorry.

Fist off when the game boots it starts to download workshop content which is ok, there is an option to cancel but I wanted the downloads..
    While downloading which on my connection will take a long time I wanted to switch back to desktop and browse while downloading in the background but the game takes the focus. I didn't know at the time exiting the game will still allow downloading to continue.

Now the UI, on my PC I found it very slow in general and extremely confusing.
    It took me about 10-15 mins to find out how to change series and when I did it kept reverting to previous series.
    I couldn't switch to Clio cup butt Corvette worked. (I assume some are not compatible yet)
    Also having to click left and right I cons to change the series feels wrong simply moving the mouse to extreme left and right should smoothly scroll the series.

I did find a page where you set up the AI with filters but I couldn't make head or tail of how that works, selecting things seemed to make no difference.

I found the text in the Driver Standings/ lap times to be quite small (getting old).

Considering how long this has taken so far I found it disappointing, for me it's clumsy confusing and slow and takes far too many mouse clicks to get anywhere.
    Just dragging the mouse around and trying to click on stuff is frustrating I just think a button should be more obvious than seeing if it highlights.

I'm not trying to start a war it's just how I find it.

Grey and Alexandr Meshkov like this.
  2. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Really not looking forward to when the new UI becomes the default, Iv'e have never really had any problem with the existing UI. I just couldn't understand why all the whinging about old UI, so it doesn't look as pretty as some other UI's, so what. All UIs are a pain until you get use to them, I think AC standard UI is awful, I use content manager. I only use single player so all my comments only concern that part of the UI so cannot comment on multyplayer. The only part of the old UI which annoyed me was the opponent selection, it needed to be more versatile. Once you have worked out what each part does in the UI, it's easy to navigate your away around and to get the set up you want. It just seems people are not prepared to spend time to suss things out. Footnote, if want to see some confusing UIs have a look at some flight sim UIs. I apologise for going on a bit.

3. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Old UI is what it is and has its own problems, but at least it is fast to operate...

muz_j and atomed like this.
  4. atomed

atomed Member

I tried it 2 or 3 months after the last time and liked it a lot.

5. muz_j

muz_j Registered

I've found multiple instances of things taking more mouse clicks in the new UI, versus the old UI.
    For me that's an issue - in terms of efficiency. I would feel exactly the same way with any user interface on any application, running on any system or device.

Requiring more effort from the user to achieve the same result is a backwards step (in my opinion).
    I'll be sticking with the old UI for as long as possible and hopefully I can either continue to run that (even if it's unsupported), or someone else might create an alternative. I'll look at other options if neither of those two things are available to me, or if there is a down side to it etc.

I haven't actually bothered reporting it, but I'd happily record it and show examples with a video on Youtube etc and it's been a month or two, so perhaps the things I saw issues with have been updated since I last tried the new UI.