Finally stopped the stutters i7 2600k

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BasJon, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

DISABLE HYPERTHREADING!!!

Cleverleyson is right!

Ive read on forums over and over again for all types of games (sims, fps like battlefield etc, rpgs, etc etc) that people have gained fps, gotten rid of stutters or both by DISABLING hyperthreading. Its even been proven in some well known pc review sites. This is strictly for gaming though as other stuff like compressing files, encoding video, photoshop work, animation programs etc etc etc all definetely take advantage of hyper threading.

By the way Cleverleyson, i cant get my 2500k stable over 4.5 ghz. 4.5 perfect all day though. I have c states and all that crap all of, i got spread spectrum off of course. Whats your voltage set too, and do you have pll overvoltage enabled?

Its Model A, Stepping 7, Revision D2, if that helps...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2012
  2. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Just to add I have always had my hyperthreading turned off, as I play BF3 and the COD games, I have never yet found a game that benefits hyperthreading.

3. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

1.37V for 4.7, I have everything on now too and it seems fine! I dont think i have pll overvoltage on, as it messes with the cpu offset. But i do have a fancy mobo! I need to add more voltage to get 4.8+ i think it would do it but it seems the cpu offset so it gets harder to devolt. as it goes lower than stable at 1.6. But 1.4 seems crazy to me!

4. RafBR

RafBR Registered

I see that there are some of you here that have a nice knowledge at overclocking.
    Here is what I am facing:
    I have a i7920 @2,67 stock clock. DDR3 1333Mhz markvision lol. But I have a nice cooler Noctua nh-d12 or something like.
    I tryed to overclock @3.0GHz and used my pc overclocked for about a year but never full stable.
    My temperatures are very low at about 60ºC full load. Sometimes a little higher.
    Please someone take a look at my bios here in these pics and tell me where I am failing.
    View attachment 1837
    View attachment 1838
    View attachment 1839

regards,
    Rafael.

5. BasJon

BasJon Registered

First let me assure you the most common problems with overclocking usually comes down to you ram, looking at your screen shots I see you have ddr2 800 ram ? if so the usual stock voltage for these is around 1.65 running at stock and usually for overclocking a system the volts should be around 1.8 to 2.1 max obviously the different makers might have slighty diff voltages, I see your running much lower so first try raising the volts. Also you need to give more info on the problems you are having like blue screens hanging, if I can help I will gladly. To add your cpu should run fine all day with that cooler at a comfortable 3.6, and if your ram is ddr3 then your volts want to be around 1.62 ish max 1.65 also to add on a final note I see your not manually adjusting the timings, for stability you should do this and start by slightly loosening them

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012
  6. RafBR

RafBR Registered

Hi BasJon, thanks for answering!
    I agree the problem must lie in my ram. My ram is ddr3 1333Mhz and it is set to 800Mhz in bios because I tought that this could compensate the generic quality of my memory regarding to stability and would not be necessary to adjust timings. I am not sure if this makes sense.
    I will rise little increments of my ram volts and test it. One thing I have not understand so far is how I set Uncore and QPI. I really dont know what to do with this functions, so I always let it by default.

best regards,
    Rafael.

7. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

Normally to tell whats making your system unstable what i normally do is use prime95 and use small ffts, this will only stress test the cpu then you'll know its that, when you use blend it uses both ram and cpu and if its only fails on that you should be able to work out thats its the ram. If add add a little voltage reboot and see if that helps, command rate can make ram unstable at high clock rates so T2 might help. to be fair i hardly clock ram nowadays the gains are very small.

To be fair Im not sure if you are able to hit 3ghz with that cpu, every one is diff!

good luck tho.

Looking at your screens try add some voltage to your cpu voltage. I think that will make your cpu more stable at load while clocked. I'm not sure what CPU VTT is doing for you....

its alot more diffirent with the sandy bridge you pretty much trying to find the sweet spot just before you need to add more voltage to get it stable. Like for me it seems that 1.4+ is needed for 4.8hgz while 4.7 is fine with 1.350-70. which is fine for me.

8. BasJon

BasJon Registered

okay rafael, first taking your ram from 1333 mhz to 800mhz is not really the way to do things, the problems usually come from the timings and volts so if I had 1333 mhz ram and was about to start the overclock from scratch I would either use the latch to fix the ratio in old days it was classed as a 1:1 ratio so the ram would stay the same when raising the cpu frequency not all motherboards support this feature, next find your default ram timings like they could be 9.9.9.27 or if they are good 8.8.8.24 I would start off with 1 click above for all so 10.10.10.28 try to keep the frequency at 1333 or somewhere near just under, then do your volts around where i said and as cleverley said you need to do some testing for stabilty. The uncore should by rule of thumb be double of the memory multiplier as for the qpi I found more stable leaving on default. Just remember the best overclockers take alot of time to get a nice steady overclock and raise things like volts timings and mhz slowly then restart restest good luck and be patient you will get there :)

9. modmate

modmate Registered

Hi,

Your Voltage seems to be a bit high for a 2500K Cpu. You can easily get down 1 V and more. I´ve tested my own 2500K until its end and ended up with verry great results. To be honest, after 4400MHZ you wont see any huge differences at all. The overall best performance hit i get with 4400MHZ like you see in the attached pic. Runs 24 hours prime stable , also no impact on scaling with that OC. You may want to try out some more settings to keep your cpu cool.
    View attachment 1840

And btw. so far i could easily outperform any I7 wich comes to my hands. I dont see any improvement on that expensive hyperthreading cpu. Maybe the IVY Bridge in combination with Pcie 3 will give a performance boost, luckily my mobo is prepared.

Greets Modmate

10. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012
  11. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Nice cleverley, can I ask if the first one is you current clock at idle, if so this means you are using one of the sleep states I mentioned earlier, as I mentioned rf2 at the mo has a bug and you will find while playing that sometimes your proc will go in a reduced mode, I tested on 5 sep occasions and everytime within 10 mins my proc would reduce voltage and clocks even while driving.

12. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

Yeah first one, never had my cpu drop into idle mode tho while rfactor was running? sounds very odd, maybe a mobo issue? seems very odd! I thought it be something to do with hypertheading but if your saying yours is doing it with it off, then i just don't know, Something to do with the I7's triple rate ram(?)

thats the only diffs betweeen the i5 and i7 no? Hypertheading and triple rate ram (?)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012
  13. BasJon

BasJon Registered

the only difference between the 2500k and 2600k is the hyperthreading the only i7 that uses triple channel is the older lga 1366 i7s so it could be the mobo issue as my hyperthreading is off I have the z68 chipset, I have heard of probs with these maybe I should look more into this.

14. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

Have you turned Igpu off in bois? could be that at a guess! I have that chipset too

15. BasJon

BasJon Registered

not sure I shall check a bit later I have to swap keyboards to get in my bios a right pain in the a*** as this zboard gaming one doesnt react hitting delete key :( and do you mean as in the Igpu as in on the chip 2600k

16. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

Oh mine does that too (crap at getting to bois) i've worked out that if you hit del when the fans speed down for post it works sometimes.

and i thought it was only me and this very old keyboard. Yeah i dont think it will help but you never know. worth a try

17. BasJon

BasJon Registered

thanks for the help though it was disabled oh well I shall keep playing :) and I shall try that next time with the delete key pain as my tower is built ina cupboard away lol :)