Finally got 5.1 surround working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BazzaLB, May 22, 2013.

1. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

I had speaker setting to 5.1. Never noticed much from the rear speakers. Whilst investigating spotter audio, I switched speakers to "windows setting" which is set to 5.1 anyway and low and behold, surround sound. For those who have also reported spotty 5.1, maybe try this setting if you haven't already.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

it's not directional 5.1 surround sound though, still plain stereo with reverb (for example) coming predominately through the rear speakers.
    listen carefully and you'll see...err hear!

3. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

I actually have a 5.1 and the sound is pretty weird: sometimes if comes from the back speakers then again from the front speakers... this happens after a few minutes of racing... and it seems random...
    Anybody experiencing the same?

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

are you sure you're not just driving past roadside objects and therefore getting the reverb? (which has always been there, just more prominent with the recent sound upgrade in build 218)
    Also check how many Sounds you're using, anything above 28 for me results in weird behaviour, like starting the car it's loud then suddenly drops lower when entering the track.

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I have always dreamed of surround sound in sims but ISI has always said it is too hard to do right so they didn't do it. But now it seems they changed their mind. I think it would add a lot to a sim. You would have a better idea of where cars are when racing online if it was done well. I remember when I used to play FPS games, surround sound was a big advantage. When racing online I think anything to assist spatial awareness would be a good thing.

6. zenrael

zenrael Registered

I imagine there would be a big benefit with regards to wheel locking too. If the back end is sliding out, you'd hear it from the rear first i imagine?

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Ahh. Didn't even think about that. I guess ISI was right, it is hard to do right. Even if we got it in stages, that would be cool.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Not saying you're lying Noel but where did ISI say it's hard to do? just curious!
    Pretty sue R3E has proper directional surround sound? or am I thinking of another title?!

9. wollo

wollo Registered

yeah I've just discovered it is reverb. When you're far away from a wall you lose rear speakers sound totally.When the sound is coming from the rear speakers it sounds very echo like. I increased reverb distance in the plr file and it covers even more of the track than before. This is driving at Monza.
    I'm choking for proper 7.1 sound here!

10. zenrael

zenrael Registered

So, do you get any engine/wheel sounds through the rear speakers then or is it just environmental reverb?

11. wollo

wollo Registered

I get good backfires, rumble strip, road noises and wheel skids (might have been front tyres skidding through back speakers.Ill check again later).. I'm not sure if it was directional though. I don't think so.
    It only worked on 7.1 setting, not on windows setting if you know what I mean.Driving the eve F3 I seemed to get more induction sounds through the front speakers and more engine noise out of the back speakers. My complaint at the moment is that I can only increase reverb distance to 20m from the default 13. shame as at Monza at least it nearly gives me sound from all the speakers all the lap. Only the first and last chicanes lose rear sound from the rear speakers for a second as I turn in to the corner.
    Edit: Sound has been like this since I bought the game in build 134 as far as I can tell.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013
  12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Years and years ago... way back on the old RSC forums if I recall. I am not saying it can't be done, I am just referring to their previous statement on the topic.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok mate cool, certainly long enough ago that things could or should've changed!

as for the others there is NO directional sound, period!

14. Sofo

Sofo Registered

I wonder about the windows setting. Where do one find it?

15. tjc

tjc Registered

In sim, Audio tab, Speaker Configuration then scroll through the options one of which will be "Windows Settings"

:)

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

in audio options down the bottom

17. Sofo

Sofo Registered

Any one having more channels than 5.1?
    Does it make a difference?

I don't hear that much from the back on my 5.1.

18. tjc

tjc Registered

5.1 isn`t working properly yet afaik... :)

19. Sofo

Sofo Registered

Too bad. Would be nice having. Hope ISI have time for it.

20. vittorio

vittorio Registered

When I have seen 5.1 support in the first RF2 build, I immediately bought a very expensive soundcard (surround sound via digital live and HDMI ...), only for RF2. Well ...