FIA GT3 by Apex Modding Team(WIP)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by GTClub_wajdi, Oct 8, 2012.

1. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Apex virtual team is working to expand his originale project to bring the GT3 FIA Championship to rFactor 2!
    The team has released a few new previews of the progress they have made. The new previews show of the Corvette C6 GT3 in rFactor 2 with two different liveries,here we go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Looking forward to this !! Thanks!!

3. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Very nice indeed! Keep up the great work! :)

4. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Yeh I saw this somewhere else and did a back flip.

I was in touch with one of their members ages ago and they where very tight lipped about this.

APEX GT3 was close to one of the best mutlicar mods out there. All cars behaved differently but could be tuned close. You could get most cars to be within .2 of each other with enough work although some tracks seemed to be better suited to some cars....

Great models but they didnt appear "overdone"..simple, clean, magic....

Good penalties for overdriving....there where a few general issues but really, when compared to the overal package...not worth worrying about.

This mod was one of my all time favourites in rfactor...easy top 3....so am stoked to see it announced....cant wait to get into it guys...

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Simple is best matching word ;)
    It seems like reflections are done backwards: more reflection for surfaces heading camera, less or close to none reflection for other angles. Completely apposite to what we can see IRL. Hope it will be fixed in final version.

6. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It's not even physically possible in rF2 to have fresnel min greater than fresnel max, so you're probably just seeing things again :)

Looking forward to this mod, but I'm hoping for a very good physics in the first place.

7. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

I know WIP, but if you are unaware it looks like there are a few mapping issues. Michelin decal on the first screenie. That oval under the right headlamp, SRM next to the middle lower air opening on the nose. Could just be the way the logo is though. Model looks nice!

8. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I'm seeing things what I see, maybe I cannot express my self ;)
    So it's on you to say us why reflections toward camera are vissible while on other angles there are weaker or even none. See the last picture.

9. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

No, you narrowed it down to dependency of reflectivity on viewing angle and now you're saying it again, so it's not about expressing yourself.

And I'm saying it's not physically possible to get that kind of opposite reaction in rF2 that you claim to see. I've tested it when describing fresnel settings like a month or two ago.

What you're seeing and what you mistakenly interpret as view angle dependency is contrast dependency. Note that these parts with more perceived reflectivity are darker.

This exactly what I described in my posts about perceived reflectivity.

General reflectivity of car is a bit too low for my taste, but with mismatch between things rendered to cubemaps and actual car's surroundings I don't really blame car artists for tuning reflections down.

10. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

OK. Maybe it is coincidence of a few factors (too low reflection set and issues with gfx engine and maybe bright colour of livery).
    What I can see is there is reflection on side walls of the car, but no visible reflection on the roof or bonnet. And please note, appearance of ISI cars is more correct regarding this issue.

And yes, probably you are right. If fresnel reflectivity on angle is set relatively to base reflectivity and may not be negative then yes - it's not possible to set lower reflectivity on angle than base one.

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

But that's just the thing - an ISI car, in the same lighting conditions and view angle, would have more less the same appearance. There is no "issue" here - just overall reflectivity is low. But like I said - as long as cubemaps contain things looking different than actual car's surroundings, I don't blame artists for not wanting to use too much reflections.

Especially that it's WIP. Note that while feels3 usess some reflections in his tracks, they don't look right. He puts reflection mappers into scene, but leaves fiddling with material settings for later.

So why even point that out in other mods? Let people work on models, textures sound and physics, while material settings wait for the right moment to apply them.

12. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

Hi guys,

to be honnest we don't know at this moment what we'll do with our gt3 cars. We have others projects to manage and, have to say, that we were "a little bit" disapointed to see tons of conversions about gt3 cars.

Moreover, i would like add that we know 3d of cars are not perfect. When we decided to make a gt3 mod there was nothing or almost. The idea was to offer something before 2024 ^^

About actual render, that you can see on screens. We can't say we are happy with that ^^ I hope it will be better soon. By the way, something i don't understand about the livereflection : the grass on car reflection is always bright, with a very very light green, even if the grass on track is more dark.

There are others problems, and ones are already in this topic, but IMO this one is important too, to try to have something more natural.

We have 4 more news cars and, i think, with a better details quality, but we don't know if they will be released in future. Moreover since Simed is rf2 compatible. Sure, we can't have the same render than a forza or shift 3d.

So ... what ? ^^ We will certainly released at least one test car(s), and after this it will depend the community reactions.
    (just to be clear, this is not sure)

We'll begin real drivers test soon. We are pretty happy with the actual behavior. By the way, even if we didn't make an public update of our rf1 mod, the physics are always under developements. So we add on rf2 what we learn since 1 year (feedbacks and datas).

thanks for the interest ;)

bye

13. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I just tried the GT3 mod by Apex Modding Team in rF1. Never tried it before (it was improperly rated low).

I was impressed with the physics (compared with other rF1 mods I had been running). It would be a shame not to offer your GT3 mod just because others maybe thinking of offering a GT3.

14. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

There are some issues with cubemaps that I've described here: LINK (first half of my post).

Car's surroundings are being rendered to cubemaps, but to save some performance they're rendered with simplified shaders and no shadows. Many of these simplified shaders produce results way off the original scene.

So we end up with cubemap containing something else than car's surroundings, which pretty much defeats the purpose of having a cubemap.

It's not an issue with your mod, so just keep working on models, textures, sounds, physics and don't pay attention to reflections.
    ISI needs to sort it out, but it's not something they can change over one week. They just took a wrong turn with their concept of simplified shaders in reflections.
    Quality of objects rendered to cubemaps may and for performance sake should be lesser, but their general appearance simply must be near the original.

1 person likes this.
  15. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

hi

on wich website do you see a rate ? normaly the mod is not on rfactor central ;)

yes sure. but the grass is still brighter than the grass texture. at tbe beginning i thought the reflection was a mirror in "t1" mod ^^ but apparently not exactly.

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yes, that's because when rendering world's reflection to cubemap, different shaders are being used to render that world.

17. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2012
  18. 10speed

10speed Registered

The rating at rfactorcentral does not justify the quality of this mod. For some users the tires might be problematic though. As soon as you try to push hard the tires will heat up above optimum temperatures no matter how the setup is tweaked. Also when the car spins especially the rear tires will heat up a lot. Therefor the handling is very difficult which makes this mod quite challenging. To me that's not even a downside at all. You also have to consider this mod is made from scratch. :)

19. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I went and looked for it at rfactorcentral again and couldn't find it. As stated in edited post above I had to find it thru Google.

@10speed
    Your right tire temps are not much of a drawback. I just turn off the hud, and drive the car. Works just fine. Grip starts dropping, give tires a breather. (that's what real life requires) All seems good to me.

20. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

well ... the tyre temp is pretty close that what we have to have ^^ but it's true now the effect of temperature is lower. anyway rf1 is over about public mod (for our part ^^) ;)