FIA Formula Two Williams JPH1B Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 11, 2012.

1. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

Why?

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Maybe, but maybe not. That may be generalizing and over simplifying what is happening with the ffb. Or you may be correct :)

3. Domi

Domi Registered

I'm going to copy+paste a post from iRacing forums about FFB/mechanical trail/pneumatic trail/caster etc, it's pretty well explained by Jeremy Spiering:

And pay attention especially here:

Which is something pretty similar to what happens in the F2, or at least it did when it was released. You can also test this even in rF with realfeel, make a suspension with no caster / mech trail and see what happens :)

4. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

You didn't answer the question. Your statement was that the mechanical trail is wrong. Why is it wrong? Your iRacing qoute is only proof that it is physically possible for the self aligning torque to go negative....it happens with some cars and some setups, that doesn't make it wrong.

5. Domi

Domi Registered

It is wrong because it is either too low, or the pneumatic trail insanely high in this car.

If the mod hadn't encrypted files, we could figure out the SAT with the tire tool :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
  6. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

Sigh, you have still given no reason as to why it is wrong.

7. Domi

Domi Registered

Dude, because it has almost 0 resistence past 90º of steering rotation. If you believe this is right ok, I don't believe it. There are also tons of evidences of open wheelers running much higher caster settings, in order or x2-x3 higher.

8. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

DUDE, you should reread your iRacing qoute. You don't seem to understand that what it's saying is that 0 resistance is possible

I'm not doubting this. Now do you have evidence that their self aligning torque never changes signs?

9. Domi

Domi Registered

I can read perfectly, I know it's possible to have 0 and even negative resistance, I'm just saying that I do not expect such thing in a car like this, I simply don't believe that a Formula Two car has 0 resistance.

No I dont have evidence, and I wouldn't be surprised if the SAT changes signs as there are graphs showing this around the Internet, but the SAT is only part of the picture, not all. They are the aligning forces coming only from the tire, measured in a tire machine without any suspension.

10. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

SAT = Scholastic Aptitude Test ?

11. Domi

Domi Registered

Hehe. Self Aligning Torque.

12. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

This is why you need to reread your iRacing qoute. Self aligning torque is the SUM of the forces coming from pnuematic AND mechnical trail. Now put that together with whatelse you said

You've said it yourself, resistance(SAT, the sum of mechnical and pnuematic trail) can be equal to 0 or be negative.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Well the real life f2 runs an insanely low amount of caster supposedly. So maybe what was described in the iracing article is what's happening with the F2 (whenever the f2's front tyres steer sharply enough and/or have enough slip angle) therefore making this how it's supposed to be??

Also, most people use way too little ffb, and therefore when the resistance lowers it's going to really be limp and dead because you already don't even use much ffb resistance normally, nevermind when it lessens.

Just speculating, I don't really know much about pneumatic trail, suspension geometries, steering columns, etc

14. Domi

Domi Registered

The aligning torque comes from the tires, the sum of both trails gives the steering torque.

What I meant is that I do expect things like this:

http://oi19.tinypic.com/4y7l0ys.jpg

But this comes alone from the tires, without the mechanical trail. What I tried to say is that I hardly believe that the sum of them would give almost 0 resistance in a modern open wheeler like this. I wasn't saying that this effect is impossible to achieve, as it is indeed possible with certain suspension geometries :)

15. Domi

Domi Registered

I don't think it's about little FFB, the FFB forces are scaled anyway.... so they increase/decrease in the same proportion. Anyway I remember having a bit of clipping with that car, so certainly the FFB wasn't low... there is something odd there, but perhaps I am totally wrong and F2 drivers have 0 resistence past certain slip angles :)

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I have almost 0 resistance in some road cars when I have understeered badly (not slight understeer, but BAD understeer lol). Not saying F2 is correct, but it certainly can happen on certain cars.

I also had almost no steering resistance and almost no steering returning to centre one time when my F2000 was setup wrong. That felt horrible, it was like playing a sim with your FFB set to 0, no resistance, no centering forces, no centering spring, nothing. It resulted as a cause of someone messing up something on the front end. Think it was caster, or something on the front suspension that affects steering. This happened my entire run, not just at a certain steering angle or slip angle, but every second. When I would use the curbs on entry the freaking curbs would almost shoot me off the track (they already sucked you in when the steering was normal, but it was even worse with the super dead, light steering I had that session). Totally different situation than the RF2 F2, but just thought I'd share the story with everyone :).

17. rer8

rer8 Registered

"The new 'F1-style' system shares similarities with the DRS feature used in Formula One. Each driver has up to eight shots of overboost available to them - increasing power output of the F2 car from 425bhp to 500bhp for a period of six seconds - but can only use them if they're within one second of the car ahead." *

Has this feature been activated in the game?

*Wikipedia article.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2013
  18. Tony

Tony Registered

It seems to be the only car in ISI's garage that to me feels like it's got almost no f/f when using a G27, all I get is a very light rumble going over the kerbs - no weighting up of the wheel when turning, I'm really no expert - first to admit that :rolleyes: - but it still doesn't feel right when all the other cars feel good

19. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Although these options should be vehicle specific maybe try altering your PLR. It woke the game up nicely for my CSR e. Be mindful of FFB clipping though.

Rumble strip magnitude="0.20000"
    Off-road multiplier="0.75000"
    Steering torque sensitivity="1.50000"
    Rumble strip wave type="3"

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2013
  20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered