FIA Formula Two Williams JPH1B Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 11, 2012.

1. argo0

argo0 Registered

So, if I may enquire, is the castor set differently on the Formula ISI and Renault then? And thats why they feel heavier? If so, why?

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

hmm, time to start putting money in the jar...

3. osella

osella Registered

From what I read it sounded like big front positive camber actually helped handling because by decreasing front grip there was relatively more grip on rear (everything was RWD of course). And even on rears they ran slightly positive to decrease tyre wear.
    But I don't know, at the same time this must have worsened turn-in ability. But every single car from that period ran positive so there must been some reason for that, other than being simply unable to adjust it.
    edit: quick google search and it seems youre right, usually they couldnt really adjust it and another reason is it helped the steering on rough roads

5th edit: and now some opposite extreme..
    [​IMG]

But now more on topic: has anybody experimented thoroughly with different caster settings + ffb multi? Couldn't this also help the offroad rattling, by setting (possibly way unrealistic..) very high caster and low multi, to make the ffb still heavy but not rattling?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2012
  4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Skinny tires, no power steering, easy to live with :)

5. osella

osella Registered

*sigh* had to edit the post 3 times as I sometimes deleted some parts, I shall close this bottle of cheap rum :eek:

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Rum is never cheap ;)

7. osella

osella Registered

Talk about it now, when we had 2 week prohibition here! (guess you might have heard about that methanol in news)
    But I have decent supplies of months old, almost archive, methanol-free rum so Im fine.

8. argo0

argo0 Registered

Nah, Paul, I think the FFB and steering weight is great in every RF2 car except the Formula 2 and even then I only have a few questions about the steering weight. The FFB detail is wonderful. Thats not an 'I need a more expensive wheel' scenario, I don't think.

I find the F2 easy (having practiced) to drive quickly, and great fun with very informative FFB. 1.04s round Palm Beach, 1.48s round Malaysia, not world beating but not bad. And thats with a realistic seating height, eyes level with cockpit mini-windshield!

I'm also put off buying a wheel, pedal and shifter set that could cost, what, £450-£600, when they have problems of their own with RF2 cars. You mention problems with 2 cars. A firmware update fixed one of them. The other still has very light low speed FFB (my only current problem, with one car) , and slides can't be felt? Feels like the FFB doesn't kick in till you turn the wheel a certain amount? Don't fancy that! I understand the other major manufacturer ,Fanatec, has a scandalous customer service record. Don't fancy that much either!
    The G27 has none of these issues, just a light steering feel at low speeds with Formula 2. I do appreciate your help though.

9. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Try this....granted, I only think it works for the F2, as I felt the F3.5 suffers a bit from this.

Palm Beach F2

In logitech profiler....DoR 900, but check and enable centre spring 50%
    Change Fr camber to -2.1, and rear to -1.5.
    You can also change the torque filter in your default ini from 0 to 8, and make sure to load this ingame.

This definately improves the feeling of weight and connectedness on the front of the F2, but the car also feels like it's somewhat centre sprung and when you turn you pivot off a center point, but it still feels like a good drive.

F3.5 doesn't have the grip levels the F2 has, and it seems to spin and low speeds with such a strong center feel.

1 person likes this.
  10. argo0

argo0 Registered

F2 Chump, I think I've not been clear enough. I don't have a FFB problem. I'm just curious as to why the steering feels lighter in the F2 than the other open wheelers.

11. argo0

argo0 Registered

Oh, I see. I think I read Nikos' post after yours and felt another wave of 'G27 can't do good rf2 FFB, buy a Thrustmaster/Fanatec' posts coming.

12. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

If u have a G27, apply my fix and it'll feel heavy as, but I don't think the car is perfect.
    The fundamental problem here is the neglect shown towards G27, and as I said, if this is released in this state at Gold, ISI will be inundated by unhappy campers, especially as Tim/ISI thinks it's all good as far as G27 goes.

13. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I think most issues with FFB are setup related, there may be a bug or 2 also but like all the RF2 default setups they are pretty much rubbish, using them makes all the cars feel like &^%$. One thing I have noticed in F2 much more then any other sims is how the FFB feel changes a lot with setup changes.

The force is also altered by downforce and fuel weight along with the track changing, It gives a good feel when things are all good but feels like rubbish in comparison when struggling for grip. I have never driven a real open wheel car with high downforce but surely as speed increases then so should the wheel weight and this is likely the first car in RF2 that shows this.

No other sim car has shown this effect before and thinking purely in terms of physics surely as aero gives more grip to the front wheel steering will get heavier and the opposite as speed is reduced. It would be interesting to hear from someone that has driven high downforce open wheel cars at race speed if they can notice the wheel get stronger as more aero grip is introduced. I have driven a few real race cars but no high downforce cars so they pretty much all feel the same at any speed as most grip is mechanical and not aero, even these you feel the grip more as the tyres warm up and get sticky which is pretty evident in RF2 to a point and something I like about its physics and FFB.

In the F2 once you get up to pace with a good setup the feel is pretty good to me on my G25, not much different to the f3.5 except I get more actual feeling in the F2 but overall force on a grippy circuit feels pretty much the same. Anyone having issues I recommend you try this setup at Ohio and see how it feels with a little rubber on the circuit as I think it feels pretty darn good.

I ran a few laps the other day getting down to mid 1:10s no chicane and low 1:11's with the chicane. Im sure I could find a bit more time somewhere but the wheel feels great there and compared to the default setup its like driving a different car.

Below is the Motec data from that lap too for anyone interested to see whats going on.

14. argo0

argo0 Registered

Already using 107% profiler, 8 filter and 0.75 in game ffb. Using those camber settings also. FFB feels great to me on G27, its just the weight at low speed in F2 has me curious.

15. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

U using centre spring at 50%?
    Also, why not try FFB 100% and 1.00 ingame.....Niels from Reiza said that more than 100% works against G25/27.

16. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

x2

17. argo0

argo0 Registered

No, I forgot that part of your recommendation, sorry. I don't fancy the artificial centering spring. I'm a bit of a purist really, and would prefer that any centering would occur naturally through the games FFB. Which it is doing, don't get me wrong.
    My only point is why does it feel so much lighter than the other open wheelers? It's not really a problem for me, I'm just curious. I'm fast in them and enjoy them immensely as they are. If its correctly simulated, then great. If not, when will it be. Thats all really.
    Some have speculated that its the set up of the car. Others that its the wheel. Others that its the games FFB. Has anyone said.....thats how an F2 car feels?

I'll try 100% in the profiler tomorrow if I get a chance. I'd never read Niels' comment regarding it, thanks for pointing it out.

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Well, the real driver did say that the car feels about like the real one and he drives them both the same way, so I would take that as a recommendation on the feel of the car.

19. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Actually it was real Formula 2 World Champion, best Formula 2 driver in whole world, same thing, but sounds better this way :D

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

ISI I think have put lots of work into this simcar, it's good to see they had access to f2 teams & testing by a real f2 driver.

Re.the "feel" of this car & ffb etc

I have x3 different sim wheels
    Logitech dfp / t500 / frex

& this car feels very different with each, I had to fiddle in the cidug file to get it feeling decent -by which way I mean not annoying,i.e some forces at lower speeds and not over powering at higher speeds etc.

I like this sim car but feel it needs some optimisations & rfactor 2's ffb system needs some tweaking so it's more compatible with different wheels

Or at least There should be some more "advanced" options in the ffb controller section (do no need to go into the .ini/config files as some users refuse too) & some recommended settings per car for each type of sim wheel (even if it's left to community to recommend these)

When 2 different people are discussing the ffb on thus car they could have 2 completely different perspectives which are based in which brand of wheel they are using