FFB weightless after 90° of input

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by SL1DE, Dec 4, 2017.

1. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

So, I have a problem where if you turn more than 90 degrees, the steering feels weightless and I can literally let go and it doesn't center. I've had a look at the [CONTROLS] area of the HDV and tried some stuff, even copied off official content and that doesn't help. I can't for the life of me figure out what I have to change to fix the FFB.

Anybody know?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sounds like something's out in the geometry? Assuming 90° steering lock isn't some crazy amount of wheel/tyre steered angle.

3. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

This could also be experienced when caster is set very low due to suspension geometry. Again if this is related to the F1 996 mod. i have found increasing caster to around 4* helps a lot with this feeling you describe. i have come across this when doing modding myself and caster is one thing that affects greatly, you could also try using the new steering system and see if that helps.

https://www.studio-397.com/2016/07/steering-system-forcetorque-distributions-and-some-little-bits/

LokiD likes this.
  4. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Ah I see. I'll look into that when I get a chance.

5. LokiD

LokiD Registered

funny i sorta have this feeling on the old ISI (vet c6r etc etc) cars.. Very much so on the F2 before they gave us the higher caster. Newer cars haven't been so bad, Although the new merc can sometimes feel like the ffb loses life past a certain angle and speed.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@LokiD the F2 was most similar probably, since adding the unrealistic higher caster 'fixed' it. But this FFB loss/reversal was different because it happened with no contact patch sliding, indicating it was geometry related. (The original caster, and FFB character, are said to be more correct. Whether some other effects are missing which make it more pronounced than it should be is something for more knowledgeable people to discuss)

I would suggest the other FFB losses you're referring to (like the merc) are down to the front tyres sliding, perhaps in combination with a caster low enough to not mask the effect. No doubt pushing the caster up hides the grip loss feel that is well known to happen at the tyre.

7. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Now that explains why S397's cars' caster is "Non-Adjustable". Otherwise it would show the unrealistic amount of caster the cars have.

Perhaps that's what I'll do with mine.