FFB Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by green serpent, Apr 3, 2016.

1. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Hi everyone,

On the cusp of purchasing a new wheel seeing as the clutch is gone on my g27 and generally getting tired of the dead spot etc. But before I do, was wondering if I could get some advice... there is a specific kind of feel that I like, whether realistic or not I'm not sure but It's my preference...

Ideally, I want the wheel to be fairly light while within the limits of the tire (say 10%-20% of max force), then when the front tires scrub, I want the wheel to become very heavy (eg 80% of force).

I am not talking about full blown understeer, I mean when you are keeping the same line but you are scrubbing the front tires. At the moment I'm finding it a challenge knowing how much to turn the wheel when cornering (obviously I try to turn it as little as possible), because the difference in ffb between normal slip angle and scrubbing is basically nothing.

My daily driver which has no power steering and some pretty grippy tires, If I drive smooth and within the limits of the tires I can steer with two fingers, but if i purposely wanted to scrub the front tires, I would have to grab the wheel with two hands and apply considerable strength. That's probably an over exaggeration but just trying to get across what I mean. At the moment for me in the sim, there is no difference between within the limits and scrubbing.

There is next to no chance that it's due to clipping as I usually have ffb around .60 and min torque 1%.
    Is there any setting somewhere I can change? Or maybe is this just down to a cheap low strength wheel/deadzone?

Cheers

2. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

Go with osw, botnar etc. You wont be disappointed

3. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I think that is more game/suspension geometry/tyre related thing than a wheel thing.
    I would also recomend osw, bodnar and other servo wheels if you have the money. Otherwise i only have experience about g27, thrustmaster tx and dfgt. Moving from g27 to tx was good upgrade in ffb feel. Still little weak on force. Feel was not quite as good with heavier gte rim.

4. cookie

cookie Registered

Go with the OSW if rFactor2 is your main sim, and the kits coming out now make it simple here's the best one.
    https://igg.me/at/simucube

5. green serpent

green serpent Registered

That looks pretty tempting! I just don't want to spend all this money and be disappointed. I'm not a fan of heavy ffb, I prefer detail. But I guess with these systems you can turn the smoothing down and feel more detail.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Get yourself a T300, it's a very decent wheel for a lot less :)

7. rolandhaans

rolandhaans Registered

Indeed, it surpassed my expectations in every way and here in the Netherlands for sale for only 283 euro. It's the best value for money I've ever come across in the realm of simracing gear

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

8. Comante

Comante Registered

The tires of your daily driver as you called it, probably suffer some serious deformation when you overdrive it, thus the wheel turn quite heavy (because turning the wheel involve changing the geometry of the tire carcass), I don't think it's an effective indicator of your slipangle or grip limit. Don't know if racey tires suffer the same level of deformation, and as other have said, steering geometry has a lot of influence on this feeling. OTher than this, the centering effect of your car's steering is enhanced when you apply more load on the tires, this another reason you need to use more force to impart your inputs, again this is largely dependant on setup and suspension geometry. Street cars are usually tuned to go straight without driver's input, racey cars often have to be kept straight.

9. Emery

Emery Registered

rF2 combined with any wheel stronger than a Logitech can be tuned to meet expectations.