FFB problem with Forza Motorsport CSR wheel

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by zAmboni, Aug 13, 2017.

1. zAmboni

zAmboni Registered

I have been having a FFB problem in various cars/tracks with the DX11 build. When I first start a session the FFB is fine, but after a while the FFB will deteriorate making things undrivable for most cars.

For example, tonight I was in a race and things were fine through a 40 min practice and 15 minute quali session, but right after the race start, the FFB will basically quit for a fraction of a second and come back. If I am at the limit of grip, that fraction of a second is enough to lose control of the car. If I continue the session, the FFB problems become more frequent. If it happens in a practice session, I will have the FFB cutting in and out (for a fraction of a second at a time) just by moving the wheel back and forth when moving slowly down the pit lane.

Hitting the FFB reset key doesn't fix it. Exiting from the race/practice and going back to the launcher isn't enough to fix it. I need to completely close the launcher and then relaunch for it to go away.

The game recognizes the wheel correctly, and I am sure that the wheel is set up correctly in game also. It is kind of frustrating right now since I can't join an online race without this happening. Not sure if the problem is similar to this one: https://forum.studio-397.com/index....c-when-cars-on-bumpy-off-track-surface.57312/

2. kro388th

kro388th Registered

How are the connections on your wheel ? sounds like the wires are shorting out , sometimes the plugs can come loose as well .:)

3. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Do you use Fanaleds?
    If so remove the fanaled files in the plugin folders for rf2 then get fanaleds to put them back in. Make sure you don't have more than one copy in the 32bit or 64 bit plugin folders. Not at home atm so can't give the directory paths.
    I had a similar issue and it was down to these plugin files corrupted.

4. The1Dijk

The1Dijk Registered

I have had the exact same problem zAmboni. Removing those fanaleds files like JimmyT suggests, solved my problems too.

5. zAmboni

zAmboni Registered

No fanaleds, and I have no problems with other sims (AMS, R3E, AC) with the wheel. As far as I can tell there is no problems with the wheel itself.

To be honest, It *feels* to me like there is a problem with the physics of the car in that the car, in that the car loses grip for a split second and then regains it. But if this was true, then I would feel that others would be seeing the same type of problems. It also seems to only become a problem after the track starts to grip up. I've had the CPU overlay up and the graph never goes above 75%, and it will happen without any other type of graphical stuttering (I have a GTX 1070).

I am only relatively new to rF2, so I have no plugins or modifications to the game to interfere with things. I did a complete reinstall of rF2 last night, but I havent had time to do some more testing.

6. Jack7793

Jack7793 Registered

I've got the same problem on the same wheel, I made a thread about it stating my FFB would cut out once it was clipping.

The FFB cutting out hasn't happened for a while but the problem I still have is the FFB going very notchy once a session is skipped or restarted and what I assume to be the FFB motor makes an odd noise while im driving, I have to completely exit rF2 to fix it.

I used the FanaLeds plugin on DX9 but not on DX11, the problem still happens on DX11.

7. The1Dijk

The1Dijk Registered

To avoid clipping you could lower the car specific ffb. I usually set it to 0.70 for my Fanatec CSR Forza wheel.

8. Jack7793

Jack7793 Registered

Yeah I know about that. The clipping I don't care about, if it happens I just turn FFB down a bit. The fact that it sometimes cuts out after being in this "notchy state" is my main issue, something is obviously wrong.

I should add that the FFB cutting out during clipping only happened once a session was skipped or restarted, like I said above that isn't really the issue anymore, it's the very notchy feeling I get.

@zAmboni have you noticed any of these issues when skipping or restarting sessions? It may not happen first time but it's pretty easily reproduced on my end. Also try creating a new profile for your wheel, it didn't do anything for me but you might aswell try it.

Also try what ADSTA said in post #6 in my thread: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/ffb-cut-when-clipping.54627/#post-880156

9. zAmboni

zAmboni Registered

@Jack7793 Yup it is the same problem. I saw the thread, but I never looked at your sig to see that you were using the same wheel. The one difference for me is that it also happens *without* a session skip or restart.

I first noticed it doing offline practice using the Apex McLaren MP4 GT3 @ Interlagos. After a while I would also get the notchiness and also FFB doing a hard cutout for a fraction of a second. It may have been due to skipping a session, but it would get progressively worse during just a practice session without skipping anything (although I did esc back to pits quite a few times). I think the amount of notchiness and cutouts increase with the track grip.

During one test two weeks ago I had completely exited out of rF2 and then dialed up a practice session. I had used a medium gripped up track that I had saved and then had about 15 AI running around the track to grip it up some more (with track progression at 5x). At practice start I pulled the car out of the garage and the FFB was perfectly fine, nice and smooth. I then esc'd back to pits and then took about a 15 min break while the AI gripped the track up. When I hopped back into the car, the FFB was immediately notchy and would occasionally cut out in sustained cornering. (Note: because of the break, the wheel motors were absolutely cool).

This weekend I was preparing for a GT500 race @ Palm Beach. I had no problem with the combo at all in offline and online practice. On Saturday, I was able to go through about 40 min of practice and 15 min of qualifying without any problems. The session had a 3 minute warmup. During the formation lap I had a small amount of notchiness. On one sweeping right hander the FFB cut out completely for a fraction of a second, and the resulting wheel bobble caused me to spin. It did the same thing on me the next lap and I quit the race so I didn't cause a wreck with any of the other drivers racing. This happened without any session skipping or session restarts.

I'm going to give it a shot again with the new install and see if the problem still remains (btw, I had also wiped my controller profile and started again and it still happened last week).

10. Jack7793

Jack7793 Registered

@zAmboni Come to think of it, esc to pits too often also causes these issues yes. I havn't noticed it getting worse with more track grip, I usually restart as soon as it happens.

11. yangzj81999

yangzj81999 Registered

My CSR Elite wheel got this "notchy" thing going on if session ends when I'm still on track or just Esc to pit, and I just changed my motor a few months ago, it's definitely a software issue. I've read your thread, but I never had this issue in DX9.

12. zAmboni

zAmboni Registered

Finally got around to testing things. Did a complete reinstall this time straight install of dx11 (instead of an upgrade). Game recognized my wheel and I got it set up. Went straight to the track/car where I had the most problems: Apex McLaren @ Sao Paulo. I set it up for 25 AI, The track was green at start of practice but had it set to 5x progression. I had about 5 or six different stints in practice with no problems. I would do a stint and then take a break, then do another stint. I let the practice go for about 1.5 hours...so the track was pretty well gripped in.

I then skipped to next session (quali). It was limited to only one hot lap by default I guess. so I took the car out and did my out lap/hot lap/in lap and again had no problems. I let the rest of the AI finish their laps (maybe 10 min total). When the final car went back to pits I hit Finish Session and then went to the next session.

At race start: The FFB was notchy....and it was notchy all around the track. :(.

Jack7793 likes this.
  13. The1Dijk

The1Dijk Registered

I thought my problems were solved when deleting all the Fanaleds .dll's, but sadly it returned to me too. Yesterday during an online race on Monza (using the URD GT mod) things were fine during qualifying and the sprintrace, but in the warmup to the main race the FF went notchy. Like said earlier I'm also using the Fanatec CSR wheel.

Can a dev look into this? I'm very willing to test things to solve this problem as it's driving me nuts.