FFB optimization INSIDE RF2

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Comante, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Comante

Comante Registered

As emerged from this interesting thread:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...s-in-rFactor-2-The-key-to-being-in-the-Zone-D

It appears that commercial wheels are quite far from linear in their output, this somewhat waste the effort of the simulation to deliver a precise and reliable FFB output.
    Maybe, if we could run a sort of calibration inside RF2, the simulator could then take into account for the peculiar output curve of the user's wheel and apply what is needed to match the output of the wheel with the output of the simulator.
    If you think this is a good idea, add you interest, maybe the developers will see if it's doable and effectively could improve things.
    Cheers

2. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

+999999999999999999999

3. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

Perhaps in the long run the industry, sim developers and hardware manufacturers should tackle this together. But until that is the case any serious developer who claims to built a sim should make sure end users have the tools to make their wheel work properly in a user friendly way.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

A plugin could potentially run some calibration tests on the wheel while inside the car (in the same way that linked tool does), and could even monitor the steering forces generated while driving [normally] and scale them up/down to suit each car (saving a different multiplier per vehicle in an .ini or similar) so you wouldn't even need to check and adjust the per-vehicle multiplier yourself. If a plugin could alter the FFB output, which it could in rF1 but has never worked in rF2. Having someone develop a plugin to do this (and I'm not putting my hand up, just pointing out what would be possible!) would seem to fit ISI's approach of putting the infrastructure in place and letting the community fill the gaps, which seems a good approach for such a small dev team.

However, after this long I think we have to assume that not allowing plugins to set the FFB output is a deliberate move and isn't likely to change. Maybe this is to avoid fragmenting the community as people develop various FFB plugins and argue about which is more realistic blah blah blah, or maybe it's to avoid people making FFB plugins that start to drive the car.

Either way, I think there's merit in trying to calibrate the FFB to improve the out-of-the-box settings and try to avoid new or less technical users getting a bad FFB experience because of settings that perform poorly. I'm not sure the unloaded wheel movement with various FFB outputs is the most accurate way to measure things but I suppose it at least takes any other user settings into account; you could develop a database of common wheels and properly measure their output, but then you're relying on the user not adjusting overall strengths etc.