FFB on DD2 help needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gary_S85, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Gary_S85

Gary_S85 Registered

I really want to give RF2 a shot. I've spent hours messing about with individual car ffb on fanalab. Also adjusting the ffb multiplier in game.
    My problem is overly exaggerated kerb interaction.
    Ive reduced the jolt to 0 in the json.
    I've reduced ffb intensity on fanalab to 40/50 for most cars. Force effects (which is what RF2 runs the ffb to is set to 80ish, gain is 45 to 75 depending on the car profile.
    I have my fanatec damper at 28% for most cars to further smoothen out the kerb interaction.

All of this is being done to maintain weight to the steering, while at the same time not rattling my rig to pieces from just looking at a kerb.
    Kerb contact causes crazy high spikes in output, far more than holding high G through a corner.
    Kerbs at Le Mans for example can be very aggressive. Even the first 5 corners or so can cause severe spikes in the ffb.

I'm am trying to understand what the "great RF2 ffb" is all about.
    Driving the Ligier LMP2 (LMP3 also, official content) car for example, steering is very light in that car, but as soon as I run a kerb, the dd2 base wants to make use of its warranty and take the steering wheel with it.
    This cannot be normal...or is it?
    Am I not getting something here?

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I have a Clubsport, but even that was very sharp edged over most curbs. I reduced the FEI (force effect intensity)to 30%. I try to avoid damping and keep the overall FF effects high, around 90%. Then match the FFB for each car in-game to avoid the spikes above100% when looked at via Motec. ((I am TOTALLY blanking on the precise term))
    Remember, when you adjust the FFB for each car in the game, you have to adjust it for each and every skin. So if you drove the yellow Ligier LMP2 and adjusted the FFB, then drove the RED Ligier LMP2, you would again have to adjust the FFB for that car, then the blue...etc etc.
    Also I think the Ligier LMP2 is an imported car, yes, it is official content but it may be ever so slightly different. It may have a few idiosyncrasies that are different from the Oreca LMP2.

3. Gary_S85

Gary_S85 Registered

Thanks for the reply. I have dialed the FFI back to 30%.
    I have a custom controller file for each car (basically adjusting the jolt setting).
    My approach has been to turn the jolt to 0.0 in the settings file, the intensity right down in fanalab (as you suggested 30%), then try dial the actual regular wheel FFB to a point that feels right by using the in game car multiplier. In most cases, the jolt and sharpness is really dubbed down to the point where kerbs are very low in the FFB scaling. This is because of a combination of JOLT at 0.0 and fanatec FFB intensity at 30%.
    Once I am happy with this, I then begin to dial the kerb effects back in by editing the JOLT setting in the controller file. I am finding that anything from 0.3 to 0.55 seems to give the best results.
    An example would be the Oreca 07.
    Fanalab setting:
    Gain = 75%
    FFB effect = 100%
    FEI = 30%
    Damper = 10% (not Natural damper in the advanced area - this screws with the FFB signal, turn this fully off)
    Spring effect = 120% (not sure if this does anything, but it feels a little better (placebo maybe).

Game
    Multiplier = 44%
    JOLT = 0.4

I am doing the above on a per car basis and having good results.
    The new ByKolles from advanced sim appears to be picking up excessive JOLT effects compared to the other LMP cars in game, so I may need to reduce the JOLT some more, or decrease the FEI some more on that cars profile.
    So each car has its own fanalab profile and its own RF2 controller profile. Bit of a pain, but if I can get to a nice place and have fun driving, it will be worth it.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The jolt parameter in the controller files is for hitting other cars and walls. It has no effect on kerbs.

5. Gary_S85

Gary_S85 Registered

When I lower the jolt, it does seem to smoothen out the more aggressive kerbs for sure.
    Jolt must refer to a ffb frequency and smoothens out hits with cars, walls, aggressive kerbing etc. It certainly makes a difference on my setup. More noticeable in sector 1 at Le Mans for example. Run with jolt at +2, and then - 2. You will certainly notice a difference over kerbing.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Maybe tomorrow I can find some time to test it definitively, but the jolt is a canned effect from a collision (that would also produce a crashing sound, or at least it used to...).

The FFB you feel over kerbs is all physics driven. The jolt parameter shouldn't be involved.

7. Gary_S85

Gary_S85 Registered

I'll do some more testing.
    The one thing that annoys me is I can have the FFB turned up to get reasonable FFB on some cars with light steering, Ligier for example, and then hitting a kerb almost wants to rip the wheel from your hand. Same with the Caddilac DPi. Needs higher FFB levels to feel the car, but can get stupid over a kerb with FFB. It seems to be an RF2 thing as there a loads of comments all over the web about overdone kerb interactions.

I did notice raising the car height made things a little smoother. So maybe the jolt is the car hitting the kerbs and not the tyres?
    I must try a GTE car with higher ride height and see if the effect is any better.

8. Comante

Comante Registered

I would not be surprised if it turns out you are bottoming your car and running out of suspension travel. Maybe not all kerbs are made to ride on them especially with stiff low ride cars.

Gary_S85 likes this.
  9. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

When I experimented with the jolt parameter I didn’t notice any difference when hitting walls - always got same very strong wheel force

10. Gary_S85

Gary_S85 Registered

OK so I found a happy medium, I run the FFB intensity at around 20-30% on the fanatec DD2. I then use FE strength at 100 and the overall FFB power to the base at 75%. I use the in-game multiplier then to get as realistic a feel as I can. It is not perfect but it is progress.
    For example, the ligier LMP2 car I run with 70% multiplier in game, 75-78% FFB in fanalab, 100% force feedback strength and 20-30% FEI. Spring at 120%, but this does very little. Needed though as the Ligier has very, very low self re-aligning torque on the wheel.

11. Sachmo

Sachmo Registered

@Gary_S85, you may also want to check out the Rumble Strip settings in the Controller.json file.

Rumble strip magnitude
    Rumble strip pull factor

The former determines the strength of the ffb when going over rumble strips, and the latter configures how much the wheel pulls to the left or right when you're on a rumble strip (not a shake/rattle, but literally pull your wheel and car to the left if you hit a strip, for example).

Lazza likes this.
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Note that Rumble Strip Magnitude is 0.0 on all included profiles, and should be kept that way.

13. Sachmo

Sachmo Registered

Hey @Lazza, any reason why the Magnitude should be kept at zero? I see the valid settings allow up to a value of 1. I run increased rumble strip magnitude to provide amplified effects on my low-torque wheel and I find it makes a positive difference; but if there are side effects to doing so I'd consider changing mine back to zero. @Gary_S85 obviously has the opposite problem - can't think of a reason why his rumble settings would be set greater than 1 if its never been deliberately altered - I agree in his case definitely worth checking its set to zero.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The rumble strip effects (which includes the actual rumble [vibration] and the pull/push effect) are canned - not based on physics at all. They're from rFactor 1 when the kerbs were painted like kerbs but didn't have the actual physical rumble strip detail, or the physics/tyres weren't able to properly react and give the right FFB effect. They're activated when you touch a surface with a material defined as a rumble strip (which will also trigger the kerb noise). The magnitude of both the rumble and the pull aren't dependent at all on the physical shape of the kerb in question - there's a speed element, and that's it.

rFactor 2 has fast enough physics to react properly to the shape of the rumble strip, and that's where the vibration through the FFB comes from. There should also be some pull effect if the kerb provides some extra resistance to forward momentum and that provides a moment around the kingpin axis.

Having the rumble vibration effect enabled will add the canned effect to the physical effect, which isn't a good thing. The pull effect shouldn't be needed either, could lead to an unrealistically strong effect (as it's not based on the physical kerb at all), and especially these days with DD wheels could lead to very high and intermittent forces.

Sachmo likes this.
  15. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I always dissable the two jolt effects and the rumble strip effect aswell. They are counterproductiv with the level of 3d modelling these days. Just like Lazza said.