FFB in GT3 cars has gone ultra light with heavy understeer

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by tlsmikey, Jul 27, 2018.

1. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Then why it doesn't exist in all other sims for the car? All of them got it wrong?

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I have no idea, thousand possible reasons. Maybe because it appears that bunch of people doesn't like it ? And they just compromises that. A ton of compromises are done in simracing, unfortunately.
    Why ? They are different cars, maybe they have different suspension, caster, powersteering...

d0nd33 likes this.
  3. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Power steering is not simulated. Certainly the other vehicles have a different wheel suspension and thus a different caster which is decisive here. Now you have understood.

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

So you want the cars to be the same. Yes. I dig that. Let everything be the same :)

5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

No I want the cars to be different, but I want the output to follow the same rules so I don't have to rewire my brain for certain cars. If the back end is twitchy or the front end is plowing, then let me feel it. But if my FFB output goes light when higher forces are being applied, that is not what we should expect. Here might be a simple chart for ffb effects:

[note; extremely simplistic, ignores the effects of brakes & throttle and outside environmental conditions which can cause a tire to lock and loose traction. ] {{feel free to destroy any point I've over-simplified or misstated}}

straight: ffb is light due to not having left or right forces applied
    Beginning of a turn: The tires react to the steering input and begin to exert forces upon the wheel. Resisting your initial inputs at levels determined by the torque available from the wheel's electric motor.
    Apex: Tire, if driven correctly, is sending maximum torque forces to the wheel. The torque from the wheel should require some effort to maintain as the tire wants to naturally straighten out.
    Exit: FFb decreases as the car begins to return to a straight path
    Straight. Light ffb feedback resumes until the next turn.

(If you come in too fast the tire should grip up until it's traction is overcome by the momentum of the car.) This would be the 'light' feeling that many Merc drivers are reporting. It SHOULD NOT occur just as you begin to turn the wheel which is also what is being reported by users. Only after the car has passed beyond maximum grip should the wheel begin to go slack as traction is lost)
    I'm not saying the wheel should never feel light, I'm saying it should feel light only after you have begun to exceed the traction limits of the car/tire/downforce etc.
    Avenger82's motec graphs show the ffb re-acting in a fashion that seems reversed. As the wheel is turned, ffb forces drop off when they should be building.
    I've seen the mantra repeated in several places about the car being special because it's different. Well swapping the throttle and brake pedals is different. Is that special? Reversing the min/max settings is different, is the car special because it accelerates as you release the throttle?
    I want certain cars to be difficult, to reward specific styles or inputs by the user. I want tires to react to various setups in a natural progression. But I don't want something that operates completely opposite to the rest of the sim during normal operation.
    The Merc should feel similar to other front engine'd cars, i.e. the Bentley, or the Calloway. They all have a certain amount of weight on the nose that should make it's presence known via the strength of forces sent to the wheel. There should be some resistance to the intial turning of the steering wheel because the rotating tire WANTS to keep moving in a direct line. I'd be willing to bet, if you could decrypt the files, that a - (negative) value has inadvertently been either entered or generated somewhere in the suspension section.

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Steering be getting light is actually more suggestive about slip angle, I understand that many dislikes that and feels weird. For me its not bad. Maybe it shouldn't get completely light, but that it gets a lot lighter is explainable by small mechanical trail, and certain nominal steering torque, so I guess for Merc you'll either have too heavy top end steering, or too light low end steering.

FFB reversing is not happening, I think, it is just seems so when it goes a lot lighter. I am not an experienced telemetry reader, but I don't see reversing happening there, except few little spikes, which perhaps could have been kerbs ?

Due to pneumatic trail of the tire properties, which I don't understand now but, maximum g-force point comes after maximum steering torque, it doesn't match. Because for some reason pneumatic trail reduces after linear/elastic part of slip curve.

Also I don't think you can standardize FFB like that. As it will depend on your car yaw momentum (oversteer or understeer), track properties... a lot of stuff more.

8. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

There’s ffb going light and there’s ffb disappearing,

mesfigas likes this.