FFB damping adjustment to UI

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Korva7, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I think there should be damping coefficient/multiplier adjustment in UI (maybe car-specific).
    Or atleast possibility to assign buttons for increasing and decreasing ffb damping in-game.

Also i would prefer if damping forces would change proportionally with ffb multiplier.

TwoHardCore likes this.
  2. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

It's called "FFB smoothing" ingame.
    It's proportional with the FFB multiplier.
    It smooths out the high frequentie FFB. It's there for gear driven FFB wheels.

Don't know if it's car-specific.

3. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

That is not what i mean. I mean the force that can be adjusted from controller.json test file.
    These lines:
    "Steering resistance coefficient":0.37,
    "Steering resistance coefficient#":"Coefficient to use for steering resistance. Range: -1.0 to 1.0",
    "Steering resistance saturation":0.12,
    "Steering resistance saturation#":"Saturation value to use for steering resistance. Range: 0 - 1.0",
    "Steering resistance type":0,
    "Steering resistance type#":"0=use damping, 1=use friction",

Maybe i should have used the word resistance instead of damping.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

I don't agree that adding more options to the UI would make it necessarily better. The brilliance with rF2 FFB is that the default settings are almost perfect, you only need to adjust the multiplier and the minimum torque. rF1 had some 30 different FFB options and it was a mess to get it feeling right. rF2 FFB code delivers the raw forces that pass through the steering column, so I'm not sure why the damping values would need to be changed in first place, I assume they are simply leftovers from rF1 FFB code.

5. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Plus a lot of users believe that dampening and spring effects are canned and shouldn't be used in the FFB driver settings. So changing numbers here doesn't do anything when it is turned off (0%) in the driver. ;-)

6. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Well having adjustment for damping/resistance coefficient would mean just one more slider. Users with wheels that are torque limited probably don't need to touch it, because they drive always with about the same torque levels, but with more capable wheels you might want to change torque levels for different cars or for some other reasons and then you might want to match the damping level with the torque level. At the moment you get same amount of damping/resistance force with 0,01 ffb multi as with 1,50 ffb multi.

For me it doesn't matter if there is a slider for resistance or possibility to assign buttons for adjusting it, but editing text files starts to get annoying.

7. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

The effect may be canned but as long as rFactor doesn't simulate weight and friction of the steering system, I would call it a necessary effect. IIRC Steering Resistance and STS are the only FFB settings, which are missing in the GUI.

8. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Yes, especially with direct drive wheels which doesn't have much friction in themselves.
    With a wheel with low torque and some amount of inner friction like g27 you might not want any added resistance effect from ffb.

9. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

Did you try to modify the Steering resistance type option in your controller's json ? you can set it to use friction instead of damper.