FFB becomes grainy after session change

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Ernie, Aug 15, 2020.

1. DTR

DTR Registered

Has anyone found a solution to this problem already?

I'm running into the same issue with my CSW V2.5, it becomes kinda rough, raw and mechanical instead of being smooth.

It's not extreme but definitely noticable.

2. Maarten Nauta

Maarten Nauta Registered

I have this too. I think its probably rf2 rather than Fanatec. Which means it will never get fixed unfortunately.

3. vonddo

vonddo Registered

An update on my part...
    The Next Session action no longer breaks the FFB. I was, however, able to repeat the problem when loading a new FFB profile in a session.

What made the issue tolerable when I did have it on a regular basis was...
    A couple of updates ago I started fresh with rF2's baseline controller profile (around when they properly set the DD1's and DD2's nm setting), and I started getting acceptable results. I reduced my wheel FF setting to 70-80, while still keeping the in game CAR SPECIFIC FFB MULTI at 100 (some would suggest the reverse, but that wasn't working out for me). Also as important, I reduced the wheel's FEI and FOR, and giving it more NDP and NFR (still tweaking this combination for more FFB detail, while mitigating the sharp unnatural forces bug that would appear). With that said, I suspect the opposite is really happening

from a previous post...
    "my best guess is when the issue occurs, it's because the resistance in the wheel is no longer registering. As a result it feels like the only forces I feel is the road bumps, rumble strips, jolts, and a little bit* of turning resistance." *This is probably an inaccurate assessment. It was mostly likely ALL of the turning resistance, for the sake of accurately assessing the issue.

The reason why I think I'm no longer seeing the issue as prevalent as before is because of the new UI. I was really hopeful when they announced it because some code clean up may catch the issue, but it actually didn't at first, but now that the UI is public and probably a couple of beta versions before, I started to not see the issue.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  4. DTR

DTR Registered

Pretty disappointing to see there hasn't been an obvious fix to this issue.

Paired with my audio issues (crackling audio when shifting and going over curbs), high pitched engine sounds trying to make me deaf through my headphones even when adjusting volume options, equalizers settings, etc..

It's such a shame man, i want to enjoy this sim so badly but it just keeps preventing me.

5. Branddanne

Branddanne Registered

Any updates on this problem? I'm still experiencing it

6. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

There are new Fanatec drivers version 432 available which may be of help.

7. datasting

datasting Registered

same problems, with DD2 an new drivers...

8. Branddanne

Branddanne Registered

I've got new drivers and DD2 aswell. Seems like this is a rfactor problem, not a fanatec one. Seen people with simucube experience it too

9. xiqui

xiqui Registered

I have DD1 PS4 and 434 drivers from fanatec and the problem persists for years I have been going from controller to controller and the problem is still there. I have installed my old t500 and the problem is there in minor strength. I think the problem is really factor 2 I'm a fan of Rractor 2 but I'm starting to get desperate with this problem.

datasting likes this.
  10. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I noticed an increase in FFB graininess recently. I increased the rF2 ffb-smoothing by one point (from 3 to 4), and that took care of it.

11. everystone

everystone Registered

I followed the advice from this thread to set DPR to zero in fanalab, and it seems to have fixed the issue for me.

mister dog likes this.
  12. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

I thought the ''clunky FFB'' is the actual rF2 FFB... until I tried a new setting and got the actual FFB, holy hell what a difference (DD1).

But yeah, as soon as I change any setting or switch to a new session it goes back to ''messed up FFB'', sometimes it happens by just driving a little bit longer. DPR setting to 0 and FFB reset doesn't help. The only workaround is to restart the sim and start a session without changing anything and enjoy the FFB until it gets broken again xD....

I'm ''glad'' I'm not alone with this, only happens in rF2 , never happend in any other Sim (playing most of the times ACC).

datasting likes this.
  13. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

Happend to me the first time yesterday.
    With each cycle backing to pits and rejoin to track the ffb get worse (DD1)

I've checked controller.json and set all saturation values to 0
    (Also throttle spring saturation)
    After doing so, it seems that the problem was solved. (No more ffb degradation through the evening)
    You have to close rF2 before editing controller.json to be sure that the changes takes effect.
    Maybe this info could help someone.

jondolar and HomieFFM like this.
  14. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

Does it still work for you?

15. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

At the moment my force feedback isn't degradating when multiple exit to pits occours within one session. So yes, atm its working for me. But i don't know which value is responsible for the issue exactly.

HomieFFM likes this.
  16. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

did you also change Steering resistance saturation and Steering spring saturation to 0 ?

Edit: I changed everything, now the FFB is awesome! and I mean really awesome! Turns out I was playing with an broken FFB all these years...damn... xD

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    mister dog and Stefan Donath like this.
  17. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

Sorry for late posting.
    It's nice to hear that you're satisfied with the force feedback.

HomieFFM likes this.
  18. Andrei Muscala

Andrei Muscala Registered

Hello,

This is still a problem on DD1 with the latest drivers. It happens at session change or when returning to garage.

DD1 settings:
    Steering angle: auto, FFB Strength: 100, FFB Scaling: Peak,
    Natural Damper/Friction/Inertia: OFF,
    FFB Interpolation: 3, Force Effect Intensity: 100,
    Force/Spring/Damper Effect Strength: 100.

In game FFB Smoothing: 1.

Thank you

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

As already detailed in this thread:

set DPR to off.
    Go into the rF2 controller file (controller.json, or your custom saved profile) and find all the Saturation parameters and set them to 0.

20. Andrei Muscala

Andrei Muscala Registered

Hello,

Yes, I know that there is the solution. I just wanted to revive this so that the problem is not forgotten .
    Also, by updating this thread, it is also easier for people to find the solution.
    It is constructive criticism. rF2 is the only simulator I use, so you can be sure that I posted this in order to keep people informed.

Thank you,
    Andrei

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    2ndLastJedi and mesfigas like this.