FFB and Track: after couple laps I felt more vibration on the wheel, any idea?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

If you think your FFB is rough, you ought to try flatspotted tires in real life!

In a 2010 ChumpCar race at Streets of Willow Springs (24 hr endurance race with $500 cars), my team had brand new tires. First driver locked up the fronts on his first lap and came in complaining about bad brakes... the rest of us just cringed because he had no clue the brakes were locking and we knew we'd have vicious vibration for the next 24 hrs. He murdered them a couple more laps, came back in, and we finally got him to understand how to brake.

Anyway, the flatspots eventually wore down, despite my ramming someone into the weeds around midnight. Twice. Then we had a wheel fly off into the sagebrush about 3 am ($500 car, remember?).

These were regular street tires. Race tires are softer rubber and flatspot much more easily.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2015
    Jack7793 likes this.
  2. shiet

shiet Registered

I think this ought to be a switchable option in regards to FFB. I hate this, it completely destroys the race from that point afterwards. And since I usually play against AI I restart 2 times then I left to play another game. :D I don't have time for this bullshiet.

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Play a game with less realism more often then?

Ho3n3r likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Turn tyre wear off/down. You can't have wear without flatspots.

5. shiet

shiet Registered

Flat spotted tires shake the _car_ and not the steering wheel. Also it shakes the _car_ at certain speed, above that you can't feel it.
    So when I go to race at Bathurst and my steering wheel shakes my hand off for the entire lap I don't consider that realistic but annoying.

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Well.... guess it's because not every rfactor 2 owner has a motion sim....

7. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

During the past F1 season Rosberg flatspotted a tire and had to pit immediately because the vibrations were too violent, can't remember the race, they're all alike today... Nobody remembers what happened to Kimi Raikkonen at Nurburgring GP in 2005? It happens. I don't feel it's exaggerated.

8. bwana

bwana Registered

simulation is simulation after all

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

lol at people moaning about realism in a racing simulation, if there's anything to moan at the sim community finds it!

10. RaceDoedel

RaceDoedel Registered

I have one question for Tim regarding the flat spots.

On the tire indicator seems everything ok. I assume that 85 % is still ok to drive.
    Is it possible to see a flat spot on the tire indicator ?

Neither the track map plugin or the rf2 tyre HUD shows a problem. Only the heavy rumbling effect on the wheel indicates that problem.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Use the TGM Display (ALT +) to show Flat spotted areas, it doesn't matter what the damage % is you can flat spot at 100%, you've already got a way to "numb" the feeling (my post above yours page 1) but this is realistic so: Learn to drive the track, learn to setup the car and drive smoothly.
    Remember that even the best real life drivers in the world lock up and get flat spots then have to pit for new tires, it's called car racing, this is no Mario Kart clone :)

12. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Would you rather have your 'vision' blurred and sturred ?, cause that is indeed what drivers fight with in real life.

But this is another issue of "we want realism and every aspect simulated - ohh, and a way to turn in off incase we suck at it"

13. Minibull

Minibull Member

It's much the same as rain spray being able to be turned off. IMO that should be a forced setting for everyone, these kinds of bypasses for things just don't sit right for me. It's why I like the FFB system how it is now. You can edit stuff to give more or less of the forces coming through, but you can't go in and say "Oh, I'll have this much curb effect, this much pull, no vibrations", etc.

With that Rakkionen lock up, I remember the guys on pitwall saying you could hear the flatspot coming past, like a series of "splat" sounds hahaha. And I think Button and Schumacher said, as already mentioned, you can hardly see when the speed picks up, just a blur with your head buzzing around.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Listen to what he says at 0:14, perfect example of what happens when you flat spot a tire:

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Report from the 2014 Russian GP:
    Although briefly ahead as a result of the error, Rosberg was immediately ordered by the team over the radio to cede position to Hamilton and worse was to instantly follow with the German forced into an unscheduled pitstop after a resultant flat-spot caused major tyre vibrations.

My work here is done :p

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Put a squash ball in it !

Not your mouth..........I meant under the brake pedal. :p

17. Eddy

Eddy Registered

18. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Flat spots on front tires do shake the wheel, and most flat spots are on the front wheels, that is where weight of car goes to when stopping.
    In order to check reality of the FFB for flatspotting, slow down and check feel. If the effect is correct, you might even be able to guess which front tire....works that way in real life.

19. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

What feels a bit weird about flatspotting (especially after spinning. I tipically dont lock both tires under braking) is that it feels much more when turning than in a straight where sometimes it isn't even perceived. I would expect it to feel more, considering the high speeds involved in straights.

Enviado desde mi SM-G130HN mediante Tapatalk

20. Joe

Joe Registered

Still do not understand a logic behind:
    Since there is no realistic model for tire damage, why don't they offer an option to let people turn ON/OFF tire damage feature? (or there is way to do so I just do not know?)