FFB and screen refresh rates, 1080i or 720p?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JuanitoRPM, Jan 4, 2012.

1. JuanitoRPM

JuanitoRPM Registered

Affect the interlaced resolutions to the force feedback updating?.

(Sorry I put twenty days ago a similar post in the hardware technical forum but no one answered.)

2. Matt Bradley

Matt Bradley Registered

screen refresh rates would either be 60, 70 or maybe 75 hz. what ever you want, same as factor 1. I guess thats what you looking to know about refresh rates. I don't know what you looking to know about force feedback?

3. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

In some engines ffb refresh frequency is tied to the screen refresh frequency, so it's a valid concern.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

But not in this one.

5. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Wouldn't have thought otherwise. =)

BTW, how high is the current physics and FFB refresh rate? In the region of 300-400 Hz?

6. shum94

shum94 Registered

I'd like to know what was/is the refresh rate of the ffb & the physics of rFactor, rFactor Pro and rFactor 2.

7. caterkiller

caterkiller Registered

Does that mean that rF2 will be multithreaded ? How many cores will be rF2 optimised for ?

8. JuanitoRPM

JuanitoRPM Registered

In some site I not remember was read that the FFB is updated with each screen at the selected refresh rate. But what happen if I select an interlaced resolution?.
    My projector can work at 720p 60Hz or 1080i 30Hz. I know that these 30Hz are really 60Hz (half screen in each scan) but my doubt is if the FFB will refresh at 30 or 60Hz.

9. shum94

shum94 Registered

Tim said ffb is working separatly from the refresh rate Juan.

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Two.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Let's not forget that rF1 didn't update the FFB even as often as the screen refresh rate, because it waits for enough of a difference from the current force before it actually sends the update to the wheel (because, and I think it's mentioned in the comments in the controller.ini, doing it too often chews CPU).

Will this change in rF2? ... well... to be honest I'd guess probably not. Maybe the way in which it decides a FFB update is required is different, but I very much doubt it will be anywhere near the physics rate of 400Hz (heard that figure around the place, and the example plugin put up a few days ago contains calls for custom physics code which run at that speed), or probably even the usual screen refresh rates.

Bit of a placebo effect is possible here - can you really feel more than, say, 15Hz when it comes to FFB, even assuming the wheel drivers and hardware can keep up? I'd say not... but if people could set it to 200Hz they'd swear they could feel the difference.

12. the_last_name_left

the_last_name_left Registered

I seem to have a vague memory that 100hz is the standard for FFB and such like. Maybe I'm dreaming