Few Questions Before Buying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TeamBills, Apr 9, 2017.

1. TeamBills

TeamBills Registered

I'm thinking about buying RFactor 2 but I have a few questions. I couldn't find a demo to the game or find these answers online. Thanks for the help :)

1. I saw that you could edit the strength of the ai drivers in RFactor 2. I believe that this wasn't an option in RFactor. What are the exact settings for changing the driver strength (examples: 1 different rating, 3 different ratings based on different things, etc.)?

2. Can you use the RFactor mods (cars and tracks) in RFactor 2?

2. lukilord1

lukilord1 Registered

There should be a demo on steam.

1.AI strength is split into two values, aggression and strength. Percentage is used as scale.
    2.no only mods for rf2 can be used .there are many conversions out there though.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hehe, if I can find the demo on Steam; everyone can ;) You probably overlooked that one.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  4. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Q1. I saw that you could edit the strength of the ai drivers in RFactor 2.
    Yes. It's a sliding scale. Percentage. No exact setting.

Q2. Can you use the RFactor mods (cars and tracks) in RFactor 2?
    Simply, No. But in saying that people are and have converted a lot over. This could be seen as a bad or good thing because as it's relatively easy for those that know how. rF2 is far more complex than rFactor ever was/is. This means to convert a mod successfully and with quality a lot of the new rF2 features need to be apply. Not to say they don't work without the added features because they do. But they are no better than they ever were in rFactor. So as you can imagine well below the true capabilities of rF2.

Not all converted mods are like this of cause. Some people have put the time in and have done a great job bringing old mods up to what rF2 has to offer. Read a lot. Learn what others say about a mod and whether it's worth your time or test them yourself.

As a driver, You really can't go past rF2.
    As a modder. It's not easy but challenging. Hard to learn but not impossible. Anymore at least.
    It's not a pretty sim. If you want to compare it to other sims it does not stack up. Some seem to think the new change over to DX11 will perform some type of miracle. It want! Help, Yes. Bring it up overnight to other sims, No.

A post at RaceDepartment. Thread, Have Your Say: What Would You Like to See in rFactor 2? By tpw.
    Sum it up like this.

My opinion of rF2 compared to its competitors

Pros:

• Best physics
    • Best FFB and driving feel
    • Best AI
    • Most complete racing features

Cons:

• Least appealing audiovisuals (including UI and HUD)
    • Least consistent quality of official vehicle and track content
    • Poorest performing
    • Most complicated to create, add or modify/configure content

What I would like to see from rF2 moving forward is a shorter Cons list
    :)

As a con for me is inconsistency with the mods. You can understand this when your talking about third party content because it's made or converted by a number of different people so inconsistency between them is par for the coarse. The biggest disappointment is the official content. The latest two examples are the USF200 open wheel and the Nissan GT500 SuperGT. The USF200 is a good mod, If you like open wheel racing. On the other hand the GT500 is complete rubbish. It's clear to see what side of the coin the devs are of. This seems the case when ISI held the reins also. But luckily we have a third party alternatives. And this list is just starting to grow over the recreant months.

Me. I don't care for any other games. The LAN group I'm with only use rF2. I have Assetto Corsa but haven't looked at it for near on a year. It's a pretty game but for us at the LAN that's all it is. Pretty.

For the prize of rF2 compared to others. It's cheap enough. You really want loose having rF2. You may gain in driving ability and learning.

5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

At least you tell it like you see it :)
    Complete rubbish is a bit rough isnt it ?

DaREALMastaD, vegaguy5555 and TJones like this.
  6. Lgel

Lgel Registered

In the situation S397 is, intending to change the bad perception many person (rightly or wrongly) have of RF2, releasing Nissan GT500 was a big error in my view.
    This content is much worse than recent user content released by ISI (Stockcars for instance), time for complacency is alas well over.

Cheers.

peterchen likes this.
  7. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

For a dev team that clearly have it in them to product good content and have proven that with the USF2000, Yes! Complete rubbish fits when talking about the GT500. All aspects were off, Sounds, Physics and Graphics. When third party mods are 5-10 times better than a dev's mod you really need to take a long hard look at yourself.

If it was a third party mod it would have got hung out to dry just like Enduracers did. But they got it just for the physics, Not all the mod component like the GT500 has wrong with it.

Sorry to the OP for the decision we're having now.
    Please don't let this deter your from rF2. It's still a good sim but like all games, they have their faults. This is only a small part of the hole and there are some very good cars and tracks around for rF2.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  8. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

What's wrong with the gt500 physics?

bwana and jayarrbee36 like this.
  9. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Nothing!
    Disagree with D.Painter strongly. You have to stroke the car through the corners. When you able to do this at a good speed, it´s a fantastic feeling!
    Sounds are bad, rest of the mod is mediocore.

10. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Yep, That's what i thought. Maybe with certain hardware, the car might feel difficult to drive. In that case it is understandable that someone doesn't like the car, but that doesn't say anything about the accuracy of the cars behavior.

11. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Apart from all that, rF2 is the most realistic experience for me hands down. Can't live without it. I compare everything to rF2 now.

I think real driving experience is a must for rF2 though.

Also, May first is seeing one of the the biggest updates in sim history I'm guessing.

12. TeamBills

TeamBills Registered

I checked Steam, don't asked me how I missed that.

Is RFactor Central updated with the mods for RFactor 2? There seems to be a huge difference between the amount of mods. For the guys who have raced many races, is there enough surprise in what ai drivers do good and do bad? What I mean is I created a fictional racing leave with fictional stories for the drivers and teams and I want to do a league where I just watch the races for fun. Does setting the percent make it too predictable what AI do good and what ones do bad? If it did that would take enjoyment out for me. For example, with NR2003 you can set a minimum and maximum rating for the ratings and the game randomly selects a rating between the minimum and maximum which allows some surprise in who does good and who doesn't. Too bad RFactor 1 doesn't let you edit driver ratings.

Thanks for the help.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  13. Flaux

Flaux Registered

You can adjust a third slider which is called "AI Limiter". It limits the speed difference within the field. Low value uses the default driver ratings, a higher number pushes the field together, making it more unpredictable. There is no option to adjust drivers individually on the fly at a race to race basis.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  14. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Sure does rF1 let you edit driver ratings, as rF2 does!
    You have to have some modding knowledge for that though. Then you can create a bunch of talent files for the drivers
    with a lot different attributes to adjust for each driver.
    AI in rF2 is not only the best (in terms of awarness and interaction with the player) but also the most lifelike of all sims.
    There are at least one or two other people around here who does or did a similar thing: just watching AI.

Rfactorcentral isn´t the place for rF2 mods to be. A lot of things are available via steam workshop, what is the easyest way.
    But there are also other sites (like for rF1) where you can download stuff. All in all modding is not as big in rF2 as it was in 1
    but the quantity is still that high that you need a lifetime to get you through all this content.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  15. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Yep. Watching the ai of a well done mod is great. As interesting as in real life ;)
    The Ai can be damn good. Door by door racing for laps.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

What is wrong with the GT500 physics exactly? Constructive criticism is needed please :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    TJones, jayarrbee36 and vegaguy5555 like this.
  17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

1. Strength
    2. Aggression
    3. Limiter

Besides this THREE slider from the ingame menu, there are much more parameter wich could be altered within the player file.

18. Bozak

Bozak Registered

I had the demo downloaded twice to make my decision. Unfortunately you don't get the whole concept of the sim with the demo and when i bought it, it took me 1-2 weeks to get used to it. For me is the best sim.

When Nissan GT500 came out I didn't like it but the next time Ι spent some time with the setup, I like it more than my favorite Apex GT mod.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  19. Comante

Comante Registered

Tried the GT500 only once, just because I prefer open wheels, but often default setups are not very good. Sometimes they are easy to drive but slow, sometimes just wrong. This to say you can't and shouldn't judge a car in few laps. Probably is better to try it for some time, on more than a track and try to tweak it a little.

vegaguy5555 likes this.